Progress of Non Native Citrus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Here are some updated pictures of the Kaffir and Finger lime trees.

Kaffir Lime has about 30 limes in various growth stages.
36788-albums318-picture6285.jpg

Starting a new round of blossoms and tiny limes.
36788-albums318-picture6286.jpg

Finger limes are about 1/2 the size for harvest.
36788-albums318-picture6283.jpg

Didn't you just get those trees not long ago? It's great they're producing so well!

About 14-15 months ago. They are both in huge pots since we knew we were going to be moving soon at the time we bought them and didn't want to put them in the ground. I got really upset because the first time the finger lime bloomed it never really did anything and what tiny amount of fruit there was dropped. So started really reading up on them and found, besides the usual citrus fertilizer, they need a magnesium boost (Epsom salts of all things) and it is going to town now, new growth, as well as fruiting. I've only lost 1 fruit off my finger lime since I started the magnesium, and that's because I accidentally hit it a pretty good lick when I was spraying them. I've been putting a bit of the Epsom salts on the Kaffir tree too and it seems to be doing well also, actually even better but it's also a bit bigger than the finger lime tree.

Last edited:
I'll be interested to hear of the recipes you make from all those limes!

I have a Meyer lemon from Stark Brothers that had flowers on it when it came in the mail about 5 years ago
. It has produced increasing amounts of fruit every year--except for last year, when I almost drowned it by blocking the hole in the bottom of the pot. It recovered nicely, and has 8 or 10 lemons on it.

I want a kaffir lime next.

Back
Top Bottom