Purple veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Since I love the color purple, I like planting purple veggies (besides the fact that purple veggies and fruits are good for you). So today I went out and planted:

purple carrots
purple kohlrabi
purple (okay, red) onions

The purple sweet pepper plants are in the greenhouse. The purple aspargus is in the ground. The purple potatoes (Russian Blues) are waiting to go in. I also have some purple tomato plants, and of course, eggplant. And, also in the greenhouse are some purple cauliflower plants.

I also planted some strawberry aspargus seeds--we'll see if those germinate, lemon cucumber seeds, arugala, peas, radishes (3 varieties), and italian parsley. The weather has been warm, so I'm hoping that I'm not overzealous and the seeds will germinate.

I'll plant purple bush beans and a heritage variety I picked up in WI that is varigated purple...

What purple veggies do you plant?

hm, pink would be cuter

like, pink taters, or a pink carrot casserole. hm.....

hm, pink would be cuter

like, pink taters, or a pink carrot casserole. hm.....

I do plant a pink tomato...and, some varieties of purple cauliflower turn "pink" when cooked. And, the purple bush beans turn green, except if you pickle them, then the vinegar turns pink...I just like the infusion of color in the veggie garden...all my flowers are either purple, white, pink, fushia, or red (the red rose bush). I ban yellow from my flower beds...

you can alter the coloring of veggies by adjusting ph ph levels in the cooking liquid, using alkalis & acidic ingredients. kinda neat. makes (red) cabbage bluish if you cook it w/ an alkali & that sorta thing.

you can alter the coloring of veggies by adjusting ph ph levels in the cooking liquid, using alkalis & acidic ingredients. kinda neat. makes (red) cabbage bluish if you cook it w/ an alkali & that sorta thing.

That is so true. I cooked red cabbage and it turned to the color of mud and it was so unappealing I had to throw it out.
The purple beans, when made into dilly beans turned yellow/green.
I don't remember what color the purple potatoes turned, but, I do remember they didn't stay true to their purpleness.

CW-awesome to be planting all those purple veggies.:):)

bliss, i usually boil my peruvians whole & unpeeled to maintain thier color, or half them & roast them.

Bliss--interesting that your pickled purple beans (can you say that fast 3 times) turned yellow--mine turned pink. I made pickled lemon rosemary beans with them that year--never did that again. I use the "regular" green bush beans now.

The rosemary lemon beans have white wine vinegar and a peel (or two) of lemon in them. Wonder if it is the kind of vinegar that governs the color or if the lemon peel was why mine were pink and yours were yellow?

Bliss--interesting that your pickled purple beans (can you say that fast 3 times) turned yellow--mine turned pink. I made pickled lemon rosemary beans with them that year--never did that again. I use the "regular" green bush beans now.

The rosemary lemon beans have white wine vinegar and a peel (or two) of lemon in them. Wonder if it is the kind of vinegar that governs the color or if the lemon peel was why mine were pink and yours were yellow?

I had planted yellow, green and purple beans that year, from a cool place that sold different colored seeds in one packet, and they were marked by color, all for one good price.

I'm sure I used plain white vinegar, no lemon, not white wine vinegar. The only other vinegar I usually keep on hand is apple cider vinegar but I doubt I used it in canning (never sure of the ph without testing). Balsamic but not for canning either.

I mixed the colored beans, but, after canning, they were all the same, I was so sad.

Since I love the color purple, I like planting purple veggies (besides the fact that purple veggies and fruits are good for you). So today I went out and planted:

purple carrots
purple kohlrabi
purple (okay, red) onions

The purple sweet pepper plants are in the greenhouse. The purple aspargus is in the ground. The purple potatoes (Russian Blues) are waiting to go in. I also have some purple tomato plants, and of course, eggplant. And, also in the greenhouse are some purple cauliflower plants.

I dunno. It sounds a little OCD to me, but hey, my Mom was OCD and one of the nicest people I ever knew.

What? Dr. Phil hasn't said that planting plants that produce purple produce is a sign of OCD! And, if you came over for coffee, you'd know I don't suffer from OCD, just purplitis.

Last edited:
What? Dr. Phil hasn't said that planting plants that produce purple produce is a sign of OCD! And, if you came over for coffee, you'd know I don't suffer from OCD, just purplitis.

I think it means you like purple, like an artist. And as a cook, you like your food to be colorful on the plate. :)

I think it means you like purple, like an artist. And as a cook, you like your food to be colorful on the plate. :)
Bliss--you are so kind. Thank you. I don't know if it is an artistic thing--I just know that purple makes me feel good, so I like to surround myself with things that are purple.

Back
Top Bottom