"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
With the price of food going up, are you thinking of putting in a garden this year? We have been growing tomatoes, onions and cucumbers. This year I think we will put in some green bean and carrots too. Of course I have my large plot of rhubarb. I can't do without that.
Good for you! I hope you and others do well with your gardens.

Babe, you could plant only one tomato plant , one basil plant , a few onions, and have a limited harvest. It sounds like you have gardened before? I encourage you to set out a few plants of veggies you like.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I always plant a small garden. But, it keeps us supplied with lettuce, chard, spinach, herbs, pickling cukes, hot peppers, and garlic all summer.This year part of a flower bed is being replaced with edamame.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
Sous Chef

We have always had a garden. This year we expanded it by 100' x 50' to let our daughters put in some of their own vegies. This of course doubles the size but we have the room and they don't, so why not share!! The seeds are in, but it is still too cold for the plants so I have to wait; bummer. :(
Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
Sous Chef

I have put quite a but in containers on my patio and more in a community garden I am working to revive. Not sure that it will save money as the planting was an investment (especially since I had zip for containers or dirt to start with) but it will be great to have a bounty of fresh fruits and veggies. Especially tomatos and cucumbers as I really dont love whats available there.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I put in a garden every year. Not sure if I actually save $ after paying the water bill and other supplies but I love the tast of fresh veg, and it get me outside for about an hour everyday weeding and watering and such.
We picked up a rain barrel for $75 and although I have not had the chance to hook it up to the down spout yet, it is already 3/4 full of water. It is about a 50 gallon barrel.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
gotta love well water!!! it's free!!!!
ok except for the electricity for the pump.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

People ask how I can pay for bottled water. I tell em A: I am a diabetic and nothing is as good for me as ice water and B: we pay for the water thru our tap as well. We wash with water we paid for, bathe with water we paid for, and even wash the dishes with water we paid for.
Of course, it is much much cheaper than bottled water, but not nearly as pure either. A trade off I guess.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Mav'sWife
Went to a client's house today to weed and noticed the rhubarb was huge - lucky me, my client let me help myself to a good dozen stalks. I made rhubarb cobbler this evening.

Nothing beats fresh veggies & fruit right of the garden.

I can't wait to plant our vegetable bed but I have to wait until next week to plant the tomatoes and peppers since the 15th is our last frost date. It's only half prepared so I will have to wait until August to start the cool season vegis.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #19
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
We picked up a rain barrel for $75 and although I have not had the chance to hook it up to the down spout yet, it is already 3/4 full of water. It is about a 50 gallon barrel.
I had thought of doing that. Then I read somewhere that the asphalt shingles and their residuu leched chemicals into the water from the roof and it wasn't good for veggies. Anyone know anything about that???
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #20
Master Chef

Never heard of that, but one thing I learned when I moved to Chicago was that 'rain water aint drinkin water'. It comes down pretty dirty and loaded with pollutants. I think it might also depend on the type of shingles you have.
I know people that have been using them for years and years with no ill effects, so I am not worried about it.