Putting in a garden to help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
With the price of food going up, are you thinking of putting in a garden this year? We have been growing tomatoes, onions and cucumbers. This year I think we will put in some green bean and carrots too. Of course I have my large plot of rhubarb.:rolleyes: I can't do without that.

I've moved recently so only made a new bed for veggies this year, but I doubt I can get anything in without conditioning the soil first, so I've got to work it first, unfortunately. Definitely worth it to plant your own veggies though.

not me, i couldn't eat all a garden would produce. i wouldn't want to do all of that work just to give it away.

babe:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Aww, thats part of the fun, have enough for yourself and then give some away to your friends/neighbors ;)

We put in a garden every year, and have a large herb garden, too. Right now, we're eating all the lettuce, Swiss chard and spinach we can; peas and string beans are almost ready. Tomatoes, onions and hot and sweet peppers are in; need to find some tomatillos. I want some cucumbers, too, but I'm running out of room.

I'm not supposed to plant my tomatoes and peppers for another 2 weeks, but looking at the weather tonight its not going below 40 at night, I'm gonna take a risk and get them in anyway.
Today I put in the spinach and lettuce.

We have always had some veggies and herbs in our garden, but this year we are expanding it to a larger area and to include more assortments of veggies along with peppers as well.

I'm not supposed to plant my tomatoes and peppers for another 2 weeks, but looking at the weather tonight its not going below 40 at night, I'm gonna take a risk and get them in anyway.
Today I put in the spinach and lettuce.

I know you're anxious, Suzie, but I'd wait if I were you. Tomatoes don't like to be cold - they'll just pout :glare: I read recently that tomatoes planted too early won't grow well, but those planted after the soil warms to 55* will overtake the ones planted early and do better overall.

Oh all right..... :(
Soil temp according to the county extention office this week is 50.
I've been checking more often than I probably should!

I put in a garden every year. Not sure if I actually save $ after paying the water bill and other supplies but I love the tast of fresh veg, and it get me outside for about an hour everyday weeding and watering and such.

With the price of food going up, are you thinking of putting in a garden this year? We have been growing tomatoes, onions and cucumbers. This year I think we will put in some green bean and carrots too. Of course I have my large plot of rhubarb.:rolleyes: I can't do without that.

Good for you! I hope you and others do well with your gardens.

Babe, you could plant only one tomato plant , one basil plant , a few onions, and have a limited harvest. It sounds like you have gardened before? I encourage you to set out a few plants of veggies you like.

I always plant a small garden. But, it keeps us supplied with lettuce, chard, spinach, herbs, pickling cukes, hot peppers, and garlic all summer.This year part of a flower bed is being replaced with edamame.

We have always had a garden. This year we expanded it by 100' x 50' to let our daughters put in some of their own vegies. This of course doubles the size but we have the room and they don't, so why not share!! The seeds are in, but it is still too cold for the plants so I have to wait; bummer. :(

I have put quite a but in containers on my patio and more in a community garden I am working to revive. Not sure that it will save money as the planting was an investment (especially since I had zip for containers or dirt to start with) but it will be great to have a bounty of fresh fruits and veggies. Especially tomatos and cucumbers as I really dont love whats available there.

I put in a garden every year. Not sure if I actually save $ after paying the water bill and other supplies but I love the tast of fresh veg, and it get me outside for about an hour everyday weeding and watering and such.

We picked up a rain barrel for $75 and although I have not had the chance to hook it up to the down spout yet, it is already 3/4 full of water. It is about a 50 gallon barrel.

gotta love well water!!! it's free!!!!
ok except for the electricity for the pump.

People ask how I can pay for bottled water. I tell em A: I am a diabetic and nothing is as good for me as ice water and B: we pay for the water thru our tap as well. We wash with water we paid for, bathe with water we paid for, and even wash the dishes with water we paid for.
Of course, it is much much cheaper than bottled water, but not nearly as pure either. A trade off I guess.

Went to a client's house today to weed and noticed the rhubarb was huge - lucky me, my client let me help myself to a good dozen stalks. I made rhubarb cobbler this evening.

Nothing beats fresh veggies & fruit right of the garden.

I can't wait to plant our vegetable bed but I have to wait until next week to plant the tomatoes and peppers since the 15th is our last frost date. It's only half prepared so I will have to wait until August to start the cool season vegis.

We picked up a rain barrel for $75 and although I have not had the chance to hook it up to the down spout yet, it is already 3/4 full of water. It is about a 50 gallon barrel.

I had thought of doing that. Then I read somewhere that the asphalt shingles and their residuu leched chemicals into the water from the roof and it wasn't good for veggies. Anyone know anything about that???

Never heard of that, but one thing I learned when I moved to Chicago was that 'rain water aint drinkin water'. It comes down pretty dirty and loaded with pollutants. I think it might also depend on the type of shingles you have.
I know people that have been using them for years and years with no ill effects, so I am not worried about it.

Back
Top Bottom