"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question for all you Fig Tree Growers out there

I have a fig tree.
I thought it was the dark/ black figs.
The issue I have is this is the first year it is producing.
There is one plump fig on it ( almost the size of a tangerine)
It has not turned 'black' yet.
It is a greenish/ yellow color
But it is soft, like a ripe peach.

Do the dark figs soften like that at this stage, and then darken up? or do they only soften once they turn color?

Could I have a different variety ?

If I had many figs, i wouldn't care, but this is it. I have one shot to get it right.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I've heard they are pretty soft and touchy as to whether you can even mail them once they are ripe.

Here is a good source for that information. https://www.starkbros.com/growing-gu...-figs-are-ripe

It sounds ripe if it is like a softened peach. Let us know!

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Ours turned a kind of purple hue as they got ripe. They never turned black, or close to it, really. We checked by feel. They will get soft and squeezable, like a ripe peach on a peach tree.

CD
Old 10-11-2018, 01:11 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

larry, did you buy that fig online? Like maybe from Logee's? If you picked the plant up locally, it might be hard to track down your receipt and check with the seller. However, if you ordered it online, just contacting the seller might get you the name of the variety you bought.

Whenever I've stopped at Logee's (their nursery is about 20 minutes from our house) they've been very helpful and tolerate my many questions. Perhaps a quick phone call to them might help you, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
...If I had many figs, i wouldn't care, but this is it. I have one shot to get it right.
We know, we know, you're not throwin' away your shot. Danged song's been runnin' through my head ever since I read that sentence.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:19 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
larry, did you buy that fig online? Like maybe from Logee's? If you picked the plant up locally, it might be hard to track down your receipt and check with the seller. However, if you ordered it online, just contacting the seller might get you the name of the variety you bought.

Whenever I've stopped at Logee's (their nursery is about 20 minutes from our house) they've been very helpful and tolerate my many questions. Perhaps a quick phone call to them might help you, too.

We know, we know, you're not throwin' away your shot. Danged song's been runnin' through my head ever since I read that sentence.

Its possible I may have gotten it from Logees. They are my go to place to get exotic plants. Usually I get things through the catalogue, but I have visited their green house and had a blast walking through it. And yes, they were very helpful. Ill see if I can track it down , although Im not sure If I killed the one that I bought from them, and this one is from a cutting of another one.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I don't have a fig tree, but we get greenish-yellow figs in the grocery from time to time. I don't remember their name, but they are ripe at that color.

I don't know how old a fig tree has to be to bear fruit, but when growing citrus you have to feed the tree citrus fruit food, as well as apply trace mineral element spray from time to time to get a good yield. I'm sure you are feeding it, but I didn't know about the need for trace mineral element spray until I did some research about why we weren't getting great yields. The trees exploded with fruit after I started doing that. Might want to see if fig trees need that too.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Update:
I went out to feel the fig again, and as i squeezed it, fell off in my hand, so basically , the fig made its own decision.
Tasted good, not great. Probably could have used another week, but still didnt appear to be changing colors. There are 2 other baby figs on the tree, but I cant imagine them ripening due thaw late in the season it is, and the temps are supposed to drop next week significantly.

Good thing is , that at least I know it is at a producing age, so hopefully next year I have more to pick and let ripen on the tree.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I don't have a fig tree, but we get greenish-yellow figs in the grocery from time to time. I don't remember their name, but they are ripe at that color.

I don't know how old a fig tree has to be to bear fruit, but when growing citrus you have to feed the tree citrus fruit food, as well as apply trace mineral element spray from time to time to get a good yield. I'm sure you are feeding it, but I didn't know about the need for trace mineral element spray until I did some research about why we weren't getting great yields. The trees exploded with fruit after I started doing that. Might want to see if fig trees need that too.
We literally did nothing to our fig tree, and it loaded up with fruit every year. Our property was about 200 feet uphill from a lake on the Trinity River, so we used fertilizer very sparingly.

CD
Old 10-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

larry, I found a list (with photos) of 18 different varieties of figs. Does you fig look anything like one of these? 18 Excellent Fig Varieties

This thread has me wanting (again) to make a Logee's run and buy a fig twig (they sell the plants in 4" containers, so they're small). I'm going to wait until after the holidays, though, so I won't have to hire a babysitter for my plant.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
We literally did nothing to our fig tree, and it loaded up with fruit every year. Our property was about 200 feet uphill from a lake on the Trinity River, so we used fertilizer very sparingly.

CD
Then obviously the soil had everything your tree needed. Not all soil does.

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote