Rhubarb season, again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread got me thinking about rhubarb pie. I've never in my life eaten one. I may look around to find some and make a pie, people seem to LOVE rhubarb pie, so there must be something to it!

It grows like a jungle behind my mother's house, but it wasn't until recently that I even tried it in a jam, it was delicious.

I had an aversion to it as a child because it looked like celery and I hated celery, so I never wanted to try it.
When I was a little girl my grandmother used to sit me down on the kitchen doorstep with a saucer of raw rhubarb chunks and a saucer of sugar. Dip the rhubarb into the sugar and munch - yum.

Me too neither. Rhubarb not too sweet. Save the strawberries for strawberry shortcake.

I do like rhubarb sauce which I freeze, and I freeze cut up rhubarb to use for rhubarb cake, upside down or inside, crisps and crumbles. I made a rhubarb cream pie this weekend. I ate it all. (burp)

I Just finished making a batch of rhubarb sauce to freeze when it cools down. Tomorrow I want to make rhubarb jam with ginger. The flavor combo sounds good to me. I put some of the hot sauce in a small dish and stirred in some minced ginger to give it a trial taste test tonight. The flavors should combine as it cools.

I read that rhubarb compotes or relishes are good with lamb (Persian dishes.) I don't cook lamb very often/ not often enough so I do not have a TNT recipe to offer. I should think it would go good with turkey instead of cranberry sauce, which I also do not like too sweet.

When I was little we used to sneak a cereal bowl of sugar and dip rhubarb stalks right out of the garden for snacks.
Probably with roast pork too although I haven't tried it. Rhubarb suits the richness of anything fatty.

This thread got me thinking about rhubarb pie. I've never in my life eaten one. I may look around to find some and make a pie, people seem to LOVE rhubarb pie, so there must be something to it!
I love rhubarb but have to say I prefer it in crumble rather than pie.

I sometimes sweeten it with honey or demerara sugar instead of white sugar and put a teaspoonful of ground ginger in the crumble topping.

My brother loves rhubarb pie, but does not like it with strawberries (I had never heard of the two together until I moved to Canada). I don't eat a lot of sweets, so if I were to make a pie, it would not be rhubarb. I do usually make him a rhubarb pie or crisp. He's in northern MN and was making a rhubarb pie yesterday at our parents. I do adding it to curries.

I saw a quick pickled celery recipe the other day and saved it to try with rhubarb. I am hoping the season is almost over!

My brother loves rhubarb pie, but does not like it with strawberries (I had never heard of the two together until I moved to Canada). I don't eat a lot of sweets, so if I were to make a pie, it would not be rhubarb. I do usually make him a rhubarb pie or crisp. He's in northern MN and was making a rhubarb pie yesterday at our parents. I do adding it to curries.

I saw a quick pickled celery recipe the other day and saved it to try with rhubarb. I am hoping the season is almost over!

In not a huge fan of strawberries, especially big chunks cooked. I'm OK with strawberry jam with the strawberries all mushed up, and I'll eat strawberry shortcake if I mash the strawberries. Strawberry rhubarb pie is the standard where I'm from in Maine.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I love rhubarb but have to say I prefer it in crumble rather than pie.

I sometimes sweeten it with honey or demerara sugar instead of white sugar and put a teaspoonful of ground ginger in the crumble topping.

I love pie, really love pie! I like crumbles and crisps too, but prefer pie. Although that plum crumble posted here a few days ago looked amazing.

You've never had rhubarb?? Nectar of the gods! Just leave out the strawberries.

You've never had rhubarb?? Nectar of the gods! Just leave out the strawberries.

Nope! Our produce manager is going to order some for me. If it comes in, I'll be making a pie this weekend, strawberry free. I think that I've had some in a jam, but it was mixed with another fruit so I have really no idea what it's supposed to taste like.

Last edited:

My grandmother made strawberry and rhubarb jam - economy I suppose.

I suppose rhubarb has a bad rep because it was always held to be Good For You. It also had "medical" uses eg as a spring tonic and for "cleansing the system" - an early predeccessor of Syrup of Figs and other laxatives. During the severe cholera epidemic in England in the 1830s tincture of rhubarb was used as a (not very effective) treatment.

Not surprising that people hated it and failed to appreciate its deliciousness.

My dad grew rhubarb when I was growing up in Michigan. I don't remember having pie with it - I just remember eating it raw, fresh from the garden. My FIL loves strawberry-rhubarb pie. DH doesn't like rhubarb and it doesn't grow well here. It's too hot.

I suppose rhubarb has a bad rep because it was always held to be Good For You. It also had "medical" uses eg as a spring tonic and for "cleansing the system" - an early predeccessor of Syrup of Figs and other laxatives. During the severe cholera epidemic in England in the 1830s tincture of rhubarb was used as a (not very effective) treatment.

Not surprising that people hated it and failed to appreciate its deliciousness.

To my knowledge, rhubarb has never had a bad rep here. I grew up with it, we'd wear the leaves as hats. It's one of those plants that need cold weather. My Mexican expat friend has been longing for it, I'm bringing her some sauce (sans strawberries) that I canned when we next visit.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up dipping the stalks in sugar...I just don't like rhubarb in desserts (except I really liked the rhubarb ice cream I made a few years ago...). It might be the strings, it might be that I think it belongs in a savory dish...

Don't get me wrong, I grew up dipping the stalks in sugar...I just don't like rhubarb in desserts (except I really liked the rhubarb ice cream I made a few years ago...). It might be the strings, it might be that I think it belongs in a savory dish...

CWS, I've never had stringy rhubarb. Mine has never been like celery.

...chopped it up like celery, put it in a strainer, added Kosher salt (about 1/8-1/4 c--yes, that much), tossed it and let it drain for 1/2 hour. I rinsed it twice, liberally added freshly grated black pepper, some fresh tarragon (chopped), some vodka, a smidgen of maple syrup and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Gotta try this...I've made some pretty good not-sweet rhubarb chutneys but am always looking for savoy fruit-ey things.

People keep offering me rhubarb and my plants are still going strong. When it rains, it pours. Muffins and crisp and sauce and clafouti. And today a friend dropped a rhubarb pie topped w/ oatmeal crumble at work. Yum. Favorite is rhubarb cream pie, though....DH always requests it in lieu of birthday cake.

Just picked a bunch of rhubarb to make strawberry jam, its a very easy recipe.

5 cups rhubarb
4 cups sugar
1- 3oz. package of strawberry jello

Cut rhubarb in small pieces. Add sugar and let stand overnight on the counter. In the morning stir well, then boil for 10 minutes. Add jello (dry). Stir until dissolved. Put in jars and keep in refrigerator. Makes about 3 quarts.

We like to put this on ice cream and on toast.

Back
Top Bottom