Rhubarb season, again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I can take or leave rhubarb pie, cobbler, sauce, or any other of those typical rhubarb dishes. Making a rhubarb pie or cobbler is something I do for my brother, he loves rhubarb, but I probably won't do that until closer to the end of rhubarb season because I don't have time to drive into the heart of the city if I want to be done with the renovations to the house by the 1st of June. I particularly do not like rhubarb-strawberry combos. It is rhubarb season, again. I could try once more to make something savory (I did like the rhubarb won tons I made last year). But, has anyone come across a savory rhubarb dish? Or, has anyone used rhubarb with veggies in anything? I really do not care for rhubarb...but it seems to grow well here on the farm...I don't know what it is about rhubarb, but it is just not something I get too excited about...now eggplant, on the other hand...

I can take or leave rhubarb pie, cobbler, sauce, or any other of those typical rhubarb dishes. Making a rhubarb pie or cobbler is something I do for my brother, he loves rhubarb, but I probably won't do that until closer to the end of rhubarb season because I don't have time to drive into the heart of the city if I want to be done with the renovations to the house by the 1st of June. I particularly do not like rhubarb-strawberry combos. It is rhubarb season, again. I could try once more to make something savory (I did like the rhubarb won tons I made last year). But, has anyone come across a savory rhubarb dish? Or, has anyone used rhubarb with veggies in anything? I really do not care for rhubarb...but it seems to grow well here on the farm...I don't know what it is about rhubarb, but it is just not something I get too excited about...now eggplant, on the other hand...
I think I'll try this (Friday or Saturday), but use some frozen Swiss Chard instead of spinach...

Indian Spiced Chickpeas with Rhubarb and Spinach Recipe

When I was a kid rhubarb was very important with the older folks in the family because it was the first growing thing we could bring in from the garden. They viewed it as a spring tonic and we had sauce as a side at every meal. I enjoy rhubarb pie but, I do not make it anymore. I do make rhubarb crisp and top it with vanilla ice cream. I am with you on not liking the strawberry rhubarb combinations. We never had them because the rhubarb came early and the strawberries were much later. We never used it any savory dishes that I can remember. Maybe you could try a rhubarb chutney.

Technically, it is a spring vegetable. However, in NA we seem to have made it into a dessert ingredient. I have made a rhubarb salsa. It was okay, I like my cranberry salsa better. I did find a number of Italian recipes for more savory rhubarb dishes and Eastern European, as well as Indian. So, I think I have a start point. I only have EIGHT plants with which to deal...

You can always send it to me! That is one thing I have trouble finding down here. I like it in pies and sauce with tapioca.

Will have to make some sauce this weekend from my rhu patch. I LOVE rhubarb! (without strawberries, please).

Last edited:
I should have a look for some. It makes lovely rødgrød (Danish, red, fruit pudding).
Knowing you, TL, it is probably not too sweet. Can you post the recipe? Maybe we can meet up in early June and I can share some of mine with you. Not at the farm on weekends right now since I'm moving to the house in the City.

Knowing you, TL, it is probably not too sweet. Can you post the recipe? Maybe we can meet up in early June and I can share some of mine with you. Not at the farm on weekends right now since I'm moving to the house in the City.
I have never made it myself, but I could find you a recipe from my Danish cooking site.

We really do have to get together some time. I'm dying to meet you. :)

I have never made it myself, but I could find you a recipe from my Danish cooking site.

We really do have to get together some time. I'm dying to meet you. :)
Yes, we do TL. I'm just busy moving and renovating, otherwise, if you were in C'wall this Sunday, I could've met up with you...sometime this summer!!! And yes, please, I'd love the recipe.

You can cut the sugar in rhubarb recipes by as much as 50% if you add 1/4 to a 1/2 t of baking soda to the sauce or pie. Give it a try in a small batch of sauce or make two pies and try it in one of them to see what you think. It really saves calories and a few pennies.

Yes, we do TL. I'm just busy moving and renovating, otherwise, if you were in C'wall this Sunday, I could've met up with you...sometime this summer!!! And yes, please, I'd love the recipe.

This one looks good: Rabarbargrd med billede Alletiders Kogebog Google translate does an okay job on it. Some of the translation is kinda weird, but use common sense.

I like that it gives an amount of sugar that doesn't look too sweet and it says to taste it to get the amount right.

Whatcha doin' Wednesday 13 June? Wanna come to a Danish Club Luncheon? I have a spare bedroom.

This one looks good: Rabarbargrd med billede Alletiders Kogebog Google translate does an okay job on it. Some of the translation is kinda weird, but use common sense.

I like that it gives an amount of sugar that doesn't look too sweet and it says to taste it to get the amount right.

Whatcha doin' Wednesday 13 June? Wanna come to a Danish Club Luncheon? I have a spare bedroom.
Oh--tempting...let me see where I'm at on the 1st re: getting everything done with house. I can bring fresh eggs and rhubarb.

Me too neither. Rhubarb not too sweet. Save the strawberries for strawberry shortcake.

I do like rhubarb sauce which I freeze, and I freeze cut up rhubarb to use for rhubarb cake, upside down or inside, crisps and crumbles. I made a rhubarb cream pie this weekend. I ate it all. (burp)

I Just finished making a batch of rhubarb sauce to freeze when it cools down. Tomorrow I want to make rhubarb jam with ginger. The flavor combo sounds good to me. I put some of the hot sauce in a small dish and stirred in some minced ginger to give it a trial taste test tonight. The flavors should combine as it cools.

I read that rhubarb compotes or relishes are good with lamb (Persian dishes.) I don't cook lamb very often/ not often enough so I do not have a TNT recipe to offer. I should think it would go good with turkey instead of cranberry sauce, which I also do not like too sweet.

When I was little we used to sneak a cereal bowl of sugar and dip rhubarb stalks right out of the garden for snacks.

Gosh-darn, I didn't even have to translate it to understand the ingredients and instructions. I'm going to give this a try this weekend as well.
I tried this, made rhubarb wontons, chickpea-rhubarb-swiss chard curry, and rhubarb ice cream--to die for:

CHEF DE CUISINE: RECIPE: RHUBARB ICE CREAM

I used buttermilk instead of whole milk, infused the cream with cardamon. Ripened, this ice cream was amazing. I would definitely make it again.

It took some effort of searching, but I found this thread, again, because it is rhubarb season, again. I had 5-6 lb from a friend. I chopped it up like celery, put it in a strainer, added Kosher salt (about 1/8-1/4 c--yes, that much), tossed it and let it drain for 1/2 hour. I rinsed it twice, liberally added freshly grated black pepper, some fresh tarragon (chopped), some vodka, a smidgen of maple syrup and let it sit for about 20 minutes. OMG, I ate 2 cups of it. I so like it treated this way. I put the rest in the freezer, not sure what I will do with it or how it will be, but because I don't like rhubarb, I was shocked that I had to force myself to stop eating this. I think next time I will add some cucumbers to the rhubarb when I salt it, maybe some green onions...now I like rhubarb.

Technically, it is a spring vegetable. However, in NA we seem to have made it into a dessert ingredient. I have made a rhubarb salsa. It was okay, I like my cranberry salsa better. I did find a number of Italian recipes for more savory rhubarb dishes and Eastern European, as well as Indian. So, I think I have a start point. I only have EIGHT plants with which to deal...
That's not fair. I LOVE rhubarb and it won't grow for me.

-Rhubarb and ginger jam?
-Rhubarb sauce with mackerel?
-A nameless tray bake with a sort of shortbread base and layer of rhubarb and then a crumble topping Haven't got the recipe for this - the friend who makes it won't give me the recipe!

Have you seen this site?
Rhubarb for Dinner: Savory Rhubarb Recipes | The Kitchn

That's not fair. I LOVE rhubarb and it won't grow for me.

-Rhubarb and ginger jam?
-Rhubarb sauce with mackerel?
-A nameless tray bake with a sort of shortbread base and layer of rhubarb and then a crumble topping Haven't got the recipe for this - the friend who makes it won't give me the recipe!

Have you seen this site?
Rhubarb for Dinner: Savory Rhubarb Recipes | The Kitchn

It grows like a jungle behind my mother's house, but it wasn't until recently that I even tried it in a jam, it was delicious.

I had an aversion to it as a child because it looked like celery and I hated celery, so I never wanted to try it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom