"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,127
Roasted Tomatoes

I watched Ina Garten roast her tomatoes at 425. We have a bunch of fairly lackluster tomatoes, just not a whole lot of flavor. I checked some sites to figure out the best roasting temps, and there were huge differences, anywhere from 200 to 425 degrees. I ended up using Sparrowgrass's method, 400 degrees for an hour. Fresh rosemary and thyme, s&p, olive oil. Left them in the oven after turning it off.

They are outstanding! I had planned on freezing them, but I fear they're not going to last!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I watched Ina Garten roast her tomatoes at 425. We have a bunch of fairly lackluster tomatoes, just not a whole lot of flavor. I checked some sites to figure out the best roasting temps, and there were huge differences, anywhere from 200 to 425 degrees. I ended up using Sparrowgrass's method, 400 degrees for an hour. Fresh rosemary and thyme, s&p, olive oil. Left them in the oven after turning it off.

They are outstanding! I had planned on freezing them, but I fear they're not going to last!
way to go girl. There is nothing better than roasted tomatoes. I love to toss them onto angel hair pasta with fresh parsley and sauteed onions and garlic. give them a coating of buttered bread crumbs and I'm in heaven.
kades
__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma

way to go girl. There is nothing better than roasted tomatoes. I love to toss them onto angel hair pasta with fresh parsley and sauteed onions and garlic. give them a coating of buttered bread crumbs and I'm in heaven.
kades
Thanks, Kades! I think you just answered the question, "What's for supper?"
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
I buy crates of seconds both beefstreak and romas at the end of august and make sauce for the year (freeze it) roasting and then using a food mill.

In winter, those romas that look like torpedoes (and are just that hard) roast well and develop a great flavor with garlic and herbs.

yes 400 is a good temp for tomatoes.
__________________
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,127
I have skinned and frozen and dehydrated tomatoes for many years, I am thinking roasting is the best! Will check into bulk seconds, if things continue the way they are now, we won't have any left to freeze!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
I do this as well. Haven't started yet this year, but it even works on flavorless grocery store winter tomatoes. I put them on a baking sheet after halving and a cursory seeding (just to get the watery-ness down) along with garlic cloves, sliced onion, a couple of peppers, a sprinkling of dry oregano. Then I put it through the food mill to get rid of the tough skin. The house smells heavenly. I freeze at this stage, and it can go into pasta sauce or chili. If I have fresh basil, I chiffonade it and put it in at the last minute before freezing, but that has to be marked separately (basil really isn't great in chili!)

By the way, the seeds I throw into a sieve over a bowl. The juices that come from that, which would make the sauce too watery, get frozen separately and either reduced or just added to soup.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
There is nothing better than roasted tomatoes. I love to toss them onto angel hair pasta with fresh parsley and sauteed onions and garlic. give them a coating of buttered bread crumbs and I'm in heaven.
kades
So you coat them with buttered bread crumbs and then roast them at 400 for one hour? Do you dip them in anything before coating them?

I've never done this. I love maters and will be trying this real soon!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
So you coat them with buttered bread crumbs and then roast them at 400 for one hour? Do you dip them in anything before coating them?

I've never done this. I love maters and will be trying this real soon!
No I use the buttered bread crumbs on top of the pasta after the tomatoes are roasted with the onions and garlic I'm afraid the crumbs would burn at 400 I'd just make buttered brad crumbs and sprinkle on the psta after adding the tomatoes and maybe some fresh chopped parsley and basil.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy

So you coat them with buttered bread crumbs and then roast them at 400 for one hour? Do you dip them in anything before coating them?

I've never done this. I love maters and will be trying this real soon!
No, you roast the tomatoes first with whatever herbs and EVOO. No bread crumbs yet. After you make the sauce and boil the pasta and plate it up, THEN you put on the buttered bread crumbs.

I didn't do the bread crumbs, I had some lovely basil that I chiffonaded. Threw some in the sauce, used more for garnish. It was really good!

Ha! Kades, you beat me to it! Fantastic recipe, thanks!

Used up every single roasted tomato that I was going to freeze. Dang, they were good!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
No, you roast the tomatoes first with whatever herbs and EVOO. No bread crumbs yet. After you make the sauce and boil the pasta and plate it up, THEN you put on the buttered bread crumbs.

I didn't do the bread crumbs, I had some lovely basil that I chiffonaded. Threw some in the sauce, used more for garnish. It was really good!
I see! Thanks for clarifying! Man oh man, I can't wait to try this one! Heck! I just came back from the store too! Rats! I gotta give that place a rest for a few days. My wallet is crying from this trip!
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tomatoes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.