Roasted Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I watched Ina Garten roast her tomatoes at 425. We have a bunch of fairly lackluster tomatoes, just not a whole lot of flavor. I checked some sites to figure out the best roasting temps, and there were huge differences, anywhere from 200 to 425 degrees. I ended up using Sparrowgrass's method, 400 degrees for an hour. Fresh rosemary and thyme, s&p, olive oil. Left them in the oven after turning it off.

They are outstanding! I had planned on freezing them, but I fear they're not going to last!

I watched Ina Garten roast her tomatoes at 425. We have a bunch of fairly lackluster tomatoes, just not a whole lot of flavor. I checked some sites to figure out the best roasting temps, and there were huge differences, anywhere from 200 to 425 degrees. I ended up using Sparrowgrass's method, 400 degrees for an hour. Fresh rosemary and thyme, s&p, olive oil. Left them in the oven after turning it off.

They are outstanding! I had planned on freezing them, but I fear they're not going to last!

way to go girl. There is nothing better than roasted tomatoes. I love to toss them onto angel hair pasta with fresh parsley and sauteed onions and garlic. give them a coating of buttered bread crumbs and I'm in heaven.
kades

kadesma said:
way to go girl. There is nothing better than roasted tomatoes. I love to toss them onto angel hair pasta with fresh parsley and sauteed onions and garlic. give them a coating of buttered bread crumbs and I'm in heaven.
kades

Thanks, Kades! I think you just answered the question, "What's for supper?"

I buy crates of seconds both beefstreak and romas at the end of august and make sauce for the year (freeze it) roasting and then using a food mill.

In winter, those romas that look like torpedoes (and are just that hard) roast well and develop a great flavor with garlic and herbs.

yes 400 is a good temp for tomatoes.

I have skinned and frozen and dehydrated tomatoes for many years, I am thinking roasting is the best! Will check into bulk seconds, if things continue the way they are now, we won't have any left to freeze!

I do this as well. Haven't started yet this year, but it even works on flavorless grocery store winter tomatoes. I put them on a baking sheet after halving and a cursory seeding (just to get the watery-ness down) along with garlic cloves, sliced onion, a couple of peppers, a sprinkling of dry oregano. Then I put it through the food mill to get rid of the tough skin. The house smells heavenly. I freeze at this stage, and it can go into pasta sauce or chili. If I have fresh basil, I chiffonade it and put it in at the last minute before freezing, but that has to be marked separately (basil really isn't great in chili!)

By the way, the seeds I throw into a sieve over a bowl. The juices that come from that, which would make the sauce too watery, get frozen separately and either reduced or just added to soup.

There is nothing better than roasted tomatoes. I love to toss them onto angel hair pasta with fresh parsley and sauteed onions and garlic. give them a coating of buttered bread crumbs and I'm in heaven.
kades

So you coat them with buttered bread crumbs and then roast them at 400 for one hour? Do you dip them in anything before coating them?

I've never done this. I love maters and will be trying this real soon!

So you coat them with buttered bread crumbs and then roast them at 400 for one hour? Do you dip them in anything before coating them?

No I use the buttered bread crumbs on top of the pasta after the tomatoes are roasted with the onions and garlic I'm afraid the crumbs would burn at 400 I'd just make buttered brad crumbs and sprinkle on the psta after adding the tomatoes and maybe some fresh chopped parsley and basil.
kades

Timothy said:

No, you roast the tomatoes first with whatever herbs and EVOO. No bread crumbs yet. After you make the sauce and boil the pasta and plate it up, THEN you put on the buttered bread crumbs.

I didn't do the bread crumbs, I had some lovely basil that I chiffonaded. Threw some in the sauce, used more for garnish. It was really good!

Ha! Kades, you beat me to it! Fantastic recipe, thanks!

Used up every single roasted tomato that I was going to freeze. Dang, they were good!

Last edited:
No, you roast the tomatoes first with whatever herbs and EVOO. No bread crumbs yet. After you make the sauce and boil the pasta and plate it up, THEN you put on the buttered bread crumbs.

I didn't do the bread crumbs, I had some lovely basil that I chiffonaded. Threw some in the sauce, used more for garnish. It was really good!

I see! Thanks for clarifying! Man oh man, I can't wait to try this one! Heck! I just came back from the store too! Rats! I gotta give that place a rest for a few days. My wallet is crying from this trip! :wacko:

No I use the buttered bread crumbs on top of the pasta after the tomatoes are roasted with the onions and garlic I'm afraid the crumbs would burn at 400 I'd just make buttered brad crumbs and sprinkle on the psta after adding the tomatoes and maybe some fresh chopped parsley and basil.
kades

You guessed it! That's what I was concerned about.

<Buttered crumbs? What buttered crumbs....munch, munch...:pig::pig:>

Claire said:
I do this as well. Haven't started yet this year, but it even works on flavorless grocery store winter tomatoes. I put them on a baking sheet after halving and a cursory seeding (just to get the watery-ness down) along with garlic cloves, sliced onion, a couple of peppers, a sprinkling of dry oregano. Then I put it through the food mill to get rid of the tough skin. The house smells heavenly. I freeze at this stage, and it can go into pasta sauce or chili. If I have fresh basil, I chiffonade it and put it in at the last minute before freezing, but that has to be marked separately (basil really isn't great in chili!)

By the way, the seeds I throw into a sieve over a bowl. The juices that come from that, which would make the sauce too watery, get frozen separately and either reduced or just added to soup.

Great idea. I also can't stand to waste the seed water. Good stuff!

Flashlight, check. Basket, check. Map of neighbors' properties who are growing tomatoes, check.

Last edited:

Ha! Kades, you beat me to it! Fantastic recipe, thanks!

Used up every single roasted tomato that I was going to freeze. Dang, they were good!
I'm so glad you like the recipe. It's so lovely in this hot weather. We have it often. Thanks for letting me know.
kades

That "tomato water" is also a great start to a fine risotto broth. I also keep it and freeze it.

Robo410 said:
That "tomato water" is also a great start to a fine risotto broth. I also keep it and freeze it.

I have been known to put it in my V8 and drink it. Nothing left.

I love tomatoes but have been disappointed lately, most are cold and tasteless. You've restored my faith. There are some good suggestions for simple roast tomatoes.

I've make my 5th or 6th batch of roasted tomatoes tonight--thank you DCers for turning me on to roasted tomatoes...but you could've warned me how addictive the skins were--I eat them--the skins are so TASTY. What was I supposed to do with the skins?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom