Seedling and Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've found they rot rather quickly here.

But tearing them apart is a very good suggestion.

Perhaps I'll experiment and see. ;)

Cave, Thanks for the tip on Cumin but I plan on putting them in the ground long before it would be considered transplanting. I'll get them going in a biodegradable 2x2 pot and then put them outside for Ma. to deal with

here's what I did to grow my cilantro. I didn't use a biodegradable pot.

Copied from an earlier thread:

First I took those really hard round seeds and put them between 2 paper towels and ran a rolling pin over them to lightly. (My form of scarification--- which means to nick or weaken the hard seed coat that cilantro has.) Some seed have seed coats so hard that they cannot absorb moisture.

Then I put those seeds between two dampened paper towels in a petri dish or CLEAN cottage cheese carton or ?? that had a lid and waited. Sometimes a week, sometimes less and sometimes more. Depends on temp.

Within a few days a radical (root foot) starts appearing and when a lot of the seeds do that then I spread the seeds on the prepared soil, VERY lightly covered them or just pressed them in lightly. I then put a damp burlap sack or some of that black shade cloth over them and kept it lightly misted until most of them germinated.

It actually doesn't take much effort and just a little time; just describing it is harder than doing it.

I kept a steady supply going by succession plantings. And I learned not to even consider growing them in a large pot or box!

I bought a coriander seedling one year. It had made loads of seeds that I collected. I used them - I didn't save any for planting. It had dropped enough seeds on the surrounding soil that I had volunteer coriander for a few years.

Oh yes, I'm asking for the sordid details. :LOL:

copper screening - basically same as window screening - most readily available from marine supply joint$

"new" it's bright and shiny. as it ages it oxidizes and the oxide surface is a barrier to the galvanic action which is what 'tickles' slug/snail 'foot' into 'not going there.'

check with a local automotive body shop - they can point you to a supplier for....

degreaser
acid etch

the process is to 'degrease' the metal first, then the acid etch/wash will strip the oxides from the surface making it 'bright & shiny' again. then 2x fresh water rinse.

been there, done that
the downside is,,, it's a physical barrier, it's not 100% - perhaps 98.2% effective. a copper barrier does not eliminate/reduce/control the population.

catching/drowning them in beer, definite population control . . . .

I can grow cilantro like crazy. The problem is I'm one of those who think it tastes like soap.:( It has it's place but I won't go out of my way to grow it. I wish the snails preferred it to my cabbage.

98.2% is good enough for me to try copper. I hope it works as advertised. Guess I should look to catch the remaining 1.8% of those evil snails with beer.

If it doesn't work. Escargot anyone? I'm sure I'll have plenty for everyone. ;)

I bought a coriander seedling one year. It had made loads of seeds that I collected. I used them - I didn't save any for planting. It had dropped enough seeds on the surrounding soil that I had volunteer coriander for a few years.

That's the easy way---- let Mother Nature do all the work for you!

She does have a way to do it her way now doesn't she?

I hope I'm on her good side. :whistling

Guess Father time will tell. ;)

If you are starting seeds indoors, a fan will help make strong seedlings. The air pushing on them strengthens their stems, and helps to keep fungal diseases at bay.. An oscillating fan is best, but if you don't have one, just move your fan around every day or so.

Been using the fan to toughen the little things up. Glad to hear it will help with the yucky things.

Well, I did it------ bought some basil seeds yesterday. Now to see if I will actually plant them inside under grow lights or wait till the weather gets better and plant them in a pot outside.:neutral:

I also bought some fresh basil in the grocery---- I'll see how long they stay 'fresh'.

Thanks for all your tips.

Go ahead and start some inside. Can't hurt to get a head start and they can easily be moved outside.
I vote for do both inside and outside. That way you'll see if you can have year round fresh Basil. :chef:

Go ahead and start some inside. Can't hurt to get a head start and they can easily be moved outside.
I vote for do both inside and outside. That way you'll see if you can have year round fresh Basil. :chef:

That's a plan! At least the plan I'm planning on.:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom