"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #21
Head Chef

We now live in clay soil country and so basically tilling is not an option, it is a necessity. Our small garden is made from railroad ties and is about three feet tall. And it is only two and a half feet deep. Great for the back when tilling and doing the other chores, such as weeding. But the area is so small we must limit the plants we can put in by a lot, rats.

Anyway we manually till, add sand - it always needs some more - and usually some manure. Have occasionally added peat moss and it adds organic matter and makes the soil more porous.

Without tilling, doubt baby plants would grow very well. Although the herb garden just keeps coming up year after year.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #22
Head Chef

I always used raised beds and kept plenty of organic mulch over the beds during winter.

In the spring, the soil was always soft when the mulch was pulled back and I never had to till.

When the plants came up, I mulched them deeply with hay, leaves, grass clippings, and augmented the mulch throughout the summer.

The foot or more thick mulch kept the soil moist and soft except for the worst droughts.

Edited to say: the soil was mostly clay when I started this, but over the course of the years it became extremely rich without tilling.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
We now live in clay soil country and so basically tilling is not an option, it is a necessity. Our small garden is made from railroad ties and is about three feet tall. And it is only two and a half feet deep. Great for the back when tilling and doing the other chores, such as weeding. But the area is so small we must limit the plants we can put in by a lot, rats.

Anyway we manually till, add sand - it always needs some more - and usually some manure. Have occasionally added peat moss and it adds organic matter and makes the soil more porous.

Without tilling, doubt baby plants would grow very well. Although the herb garden just keeps coming up year after year.

How 'bout if I dig up a yard or 4 of my sandy crud and trade you for a yard or 4 of clay.... mix and we'll both be perfect!!!

My mom lives just 40 miles south of me and has clay.... i think about 3 miles north it is too. Somehow there's a huge sugar sand vein right where I am.

Yay!! lucky me.........
Old 04-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #24
Master Chef

sure, Suzie, when and where do we make the trade off---I'll give you all the gumbo clay you want in exchange for your lovely sand
Old 04-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

ha! where the heck is halfway? In the midde of the atlantic somewhere?
A cruise! Alright!!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #26
Master Chef

I think that would be either Africa if you go one way, or the middle of the Pacific if you go the other way, say Hawaii or Guam or somewhere in there....
Old 04-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

oooooo I'll go with Hawaii!!! How 'bout you expat?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #28
Master Chef

I would be torn between the beauty, splendor, and magnificent ocean of Hawaii, not to mention cool volcanoes and exotic stuff; and an African safari snapping picture after picture of all kinds of neat stuff on the Savanah. And visiting with tribes, and exploring its history.
This would settle it for me: Which one has more and deadlier snakes???
Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

mav, how about going to ireland? visit with the tribes (over a pint), explore it's history, and there's a particular lack of snakes.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:37 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
mav, how about going to ireland? visit with the tribes (over a pint), explore it's history, and there's a particular lack of snakes.

Good point, bucky. My younger sister, Margaret O'Neill, just returned from Ireland. No snakes, for sure. Beeautiffffffullll. She sent over 100 pics. Waaaaa! I wanna go!