Something is eating away at my herb leaves?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Ok.......some bug is eating away at my herb leaves. I sprinkled on some bug stuff 2 weeks ago but doesn't seem to be helping. It was ORTHO and listed so many bugs that I figured it would cover whatever it was. Anyone have any ideas?

Could be Japanese beetles. Have you seen the little buggers? If so, buy a Japanese beetle trap, they work very well.

Andy M. said:
Could be Japanese beetles. Have you seen the little buggers? If so, buy a Japanese beetle trap, they work very well.
I bet thats it! Devil bugs they are. I had one chew through a habanero pepper in my garden...

Hey Siz, you really need to identify the bugger before you spray. And two weeks after a spray is applied it probably will not still be effective. If you are on the same latitude as me, the only bug I have doing any damage is flea beetles, tiny, pin hole size dots on the leaves. It is almost time for Jap Beetles but I have not seen any yet.

What does the damage look like?

If you take 1 part vineager(or dish soap), to 10 parts water, and a dash of cheyenne, put it in a spray bottle, and mist the garden, it should help control the lil buggers. I've had mixed results, but it works well on certain bugs. Worth a shot beingst most everyone has these ingredients in house already.

I'm not sure about the Japanese beetles - first of all, they're so gross, you'd see them swarming over your plants. Second, we haven't even seen them yet here in SC - I think they're more of a 'hot weather' bug.

Look on the undersides of the leaves - sometimes you see white cottony pieces of fluff which are bugs; are there ants around the herbs? If you see them scurrying up and down the stems, they're 'harvesting' the aphids - yes, they do that! They'll actually 'plant' aphids on plants so they can harvest the necter the aphids make!

What kind of ORtho spray did you use? Was it safe for veggies? Be careful what you spray - some of them are pretty toxic to us peeple-folk!

I had something do that. It would leave little sudsy looking stuff. Don't remember what I did to remedy it though. ???

We've had an overload of snails and slugs:glare: So since my basil and parsley are in large tubs, I ringed the tub with a good amount of salt.Halted the buggers in their tracks:LOL: Now to watch for the grasshoppers and catterpillars from the silage next door:ohmy:

kadesma

bethzaring said:
Hey Siz, you really need to identify the bugger before you spray. And two weeks after a spray is applied it probably will not still be effective. If you are on the same latitude as me, the only bug I have doing any damage is flea beetles, tiny, pin hole size dots on the leaves. It is almost time for Jap Beetles but I have not seen any yet.

What does the damage look like?

Pretty much what you just described.....some holes are a little bigger than pin hole though.

I haven't seen any japanese beetles.

Back
Top Bottom