"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Sprouts for the day?

A part of my quest for nutritious food that I can prepare in my home has lead me down the path of sprouting...I found lots of pages with info. Several of them made the comment that if things were not "done right" some serious bacteria could develop that would cause illness or even death. Is this very common? Should I take this with a "seed" of salt?

Also, I would like to raise them in my home so that I have just enough for one day - so I will be starting a new batch every day. I want to raise them myself so that I know they are fresh, so that I don't have to make trips to the veggie market and so that I know chemicals of any kind are not added to them. I know that I will have to experiment until I find the right number of seeds to use.

Does anyone have experience doing this? I would appreciate any input you have that comes from personal experience. I have only eaten soybean sprouts and pea sprouts. I would appreciate comments about other kinds of sprouts and what kind of taste they have. Is there a sprout out there that has a nutty flavor to it?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Master Chef

If you like sprouts that much why don't you just invest in a machine designed for sprouting. Just Google Automatic Sprouter or Automatic Sprouting Machine.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I got a sprouter from Gardens Alive. I had a coupon, so it was almost free! They recommend soaking the mung bean seeds in a peroxide solution prior to sprouting, as in the past there had been concerns in the US and elsewhere about food poisoning. The other seed blend I got needs no peroxide soaking.

It's kinda fun watching the seeds sprout. They taste nice and fresh.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior Cook

That is good insight. I have looked at a few machines and they all make more sprouts than I can eat...it is the gourmet bachelor syndrome. Any ideas on diy?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou
That is good insight. I have looked at a few machines and they all make more sprouts than I can eat...it is the gourmet bachelor syndrome. Any ideas on diy?
You can try the old hippy way from back in the day. A mason jar with paper towel or cheesecloth. Google it, it still works! I would still soak the mung beans in peroxide water. I use a small mason jar with cheesecloth over the top held in place with a canning ring for prep and rinsing, then transfer to the larger jar or container. Rinse seeds several times a day.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Head Chef

I've heard that a canning jar, spring lid without the flat lid portion, and window screen material works quite well. You can choose what size jar you want. Just make sure you rinse well each day.