"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Starting from Seeds - need help

Okay, so I bought a bunch of seed packets. Flat leaf parsley, Italian parsley, two kinds of basil (sweet and something else), chives, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, chili peppers, and cerrano peppers. I bought six 4" pots to start the peppers and the chives and I have several large pots. What do I do now? Can they all be planted now indoors to start? I'm in North Carolina, it was 40 this morning and it's 72 right now. We have big temp swings. Should I move all the big pots inside?

I can attach pictures of the big pots.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I would start them all inside, in a sunny window. You need to find out when the last average frost date is in your area - you can take them outside after that. Here in SE VA, it's April 20.

Here's some info on starting seeds indoors and growing in containers:

Starting Seeds Indoors | Tips & Techniques
Growing Herbs in Containers

HTH.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I'd suggest you start them in bigger pots so you won't need to transfer them later - transplanting really knocks them back IMO.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by janama View Post
I'd suggest you start them in bigger pots so you won't need to transfer them later - transplanting really knocks them back IMO.
Interesting. I haven't found that to be true. I usually buy small herb plants from our local herb society and transplant them into my garden - they go gangbusters
Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I'm sorry - I didn't realise you were going to put them in the garden.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by janama View Post
I'm sorry - I didn't realise you were going to put them in the garden.
I'm not. All mine will be in pots but if you start them in too big of a container sometimes they won't grow. I think with chives and cilantro, they can stay in the little pots. It's the peppers I'm curious about but then again, the packages are confusing the heck out of me.

I thought maybe experienced seeders could help me decipher the packages. Some of which all say the same thing.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Sous Chef

You can also just plant your seeds in the garden after the last frost. I know the package says to start them earlier indoors, but I planted all of mine last year in the end of April and they all grew very well. Especially the parsley and basil. Keep an eye on the parsleys too, if you are not careful they will take over everything! They require a lot of thinning. You can see what my herbs looked like by Aug in this thread: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ces-44153.html Those all came from seed except the thyme and the lemon grass. My disclaimer is the front plants were transplanted from another area in the yard where it was too hot for them so they are a little smaller.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I've started herbs from seed and transplanted them into a whiskey barrel (before I had an herb garden in the yard) and into the garden and haven't noticed any problems. I have also bought herb plants and transplanted them with no problems. In containers (which is what Callisto, the original poster, wants to use), they will need more frequent watering, but otherwise they should be fine. HTH.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Potting soil ~ I bought some at Wally World today to mix in with what I have and it's got red clay clumps in it. It wasn't that expensive. Should I chuck it and go get something a little more expensive? They had something actually called HUMUS that looked much better than this stuff.

Chives -- I used a whole seed packet in a 5" pot. Too much?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
Executive Chef

You are better getting some Seed Raising Mixture as it has the nutrients that seeds need. Potting mix over here comes in a huge range and the good quality stuff has Quality Assurance ticks on it. Those ones usually have water retaining crystals in as well as some form of ferterliser. I would assume the red clay clumps are there to act as drainage.

A couple of tips I was told:

- get a back of seed raising mixture and run a knife down the flat front of the pack in two rows and plant the seeds direct into those rows. As they get to the right height, they can be transplantted out or alternatively depending on the plant, just left there for the duration, although weeding out the weaklings would be required with the latter.

- put an iron can - like tomatoes or cat food - at the base of the pot before you put the potting mix in.

- Put a clear plastic bag over the tops of the pots so you create a mini-greenhouse for the seeds to rise in. Good spray of water every so often with a sunny position. The bag makes the conditions humid, amplifying the heat and protects the seeds from the wind, birds and bugs.