Suitable vegetable for all season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookLikeJulia

Senior Cook
I have been a little garden in home but i don't have a hint what vegetable the best for all season ..whether it is winter or summer ! The plant that can live out of climate change.

I see your in DC, and I know the winters there ( especially this year) have included a lot of snow, cold ... ( like here in new york) so if it is for out door vegetables, I dont think anything will survive that. Although, Ive had parsley and other herbs survive under the snow throughout the winter including sage, thyme too, which could be harvested throughout the winter ( but not predictably).

I ve also had carrots, chard, leeks and chives roots systems survive the winters, and come back to regrow the following year ( this is typical of the chives, since they are a perennial and come back year after year). The leeks usually go to seed the following year, the carrots are kinda woody the second year.

Garlic should be planted in the fall ( october/ november) and like any other bulbs, will sprout in the spring, and harvested late spring early summer ( i usually pick them july 4th weekend).

For winter gardening, ive just used the aerogarden, which works very well, minimal effort. I grow herbs and lettuce inside which thrive during any season.

I'm in Maryland and I have had success with some plant surviving. I garden in raised beds and I use floating row-covers over some of the beds over the winter.

Carrots will last in the ground over the winter and can even be harvested then too. Like larry said, gralic will over-winter for the next year as will chives.

I use row covers and grow spinach and kale over the winter. Plant them late in the summer. I am still harvesting carrots and spinach from last fall. Oh, and French Sorrel was something I tried for the first time last year, that over wintered too and is still doing great.

I also have spinach, kale mustard greens thru winter....certainly milder here but under row covers as suggested or under glass would work well. Its so nice to harvest fresh greens for Christmas dinner!

I'm in Maryland and I have had success with some plant surviving. I garden in raised beds and I use floating row-covers over some of the beds over the winter.

Carrots will last in the ground over the winter and can even be harvested then too. Like larry said, gralic will over-winter for the next year as will chives.

I use row covers and grow spinach and kale over the winter. Plant them late in the summer. I am still harvesting carrots and spinach from last fall. Oh, and French Sorrel was something I tried for the first time last year, that over wintered too and is still doing great.
Yeah i agreed dave carrot can live where ever, even in the place where not cold !

Hmm I am living in Germany which is the same latitude as the border to Canada. I don´t think there are any herbs or vegetables that can be grown during the winter here except under glass. I would be happy to get some tips on that.

I live on the south-east coast of Vancouver Island (the west coast of Canada) Gardening zone 8...on the 49th parallel. I grow hardy greens all year long and don't cover anything...I'm far too lazy for that! :LOL: I also have two rose bushes that produce roses right up to end of Dec a eucalyptus and two windmill palms. If we do get a snowfall it usually melts withn a day or two and the dead greens are just raked over and are re-growing with a week or two. Contrary to popular belief not all Canadians live in igloos...thank goodness!

Hi,

Every one needs change and your garden too.. Why not try different things according to the season. Just have one apple tree or any other tree so that climate will not affect that. And you could change other vegetables from time to time. Right now you can try tomatoes, green chillies, aubergines, etc.

Back
Top Bottom