Summer squash things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Might be too late, but Craig came up with a side dish that uses zucchini and/or yellow squash. Use the food processor to finely grind up some Ritz crackers. Slice squash and onions thinly. Butter a casserole dish, make a layer of squash, then onions, S and P, sprinkle moderately with Ritz crumbs (just a nice sprinkle, not heavy as it gets a mealy texture if you use too much), dot with butter, repeat until full. Bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes until knife goes all the way to the bottom easily. Remove from oven, allow to cool a bit and serve.

You can always make fried zucchini slices too with a tempura-like batter or a beer batter. A long closed restaurant served them with a dip of soft whipped cream with S and P and horseradish folded in. Yummy!

Thanks for the great ideas, guys! I have about (now) 6 portions of lasagna, and a ziplock full of zucchini-like freezer pickles. Got them all used up!

Zuc pirogue filled with shrimp or crawfish etouffee! Maybe some jambalaya on the side.:yum: You might also stuff them with Crab Diablo.

Ooh. Now I may have to go out and get more squash!

Last edited:
I had yellow summer squash last night. Did it very simple: Sliced about 3/8" thick, sautéed in bacon grease, finished with a green chili infused extra virgin olive oil, then added Hunt's Fire Roasted tomatoes and seasoned and simmered to reduce the liquid content. Made a good veggie side dish with roasted turkey breast. Easy and tasty.

Back
Top Bottom