Summer squash things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
DH's cousin came for a visit on his cross-country drive, and gifted us with 5 very nice zucchini-like squash. What the heck do I do with them? I despise baking, so not too interested in zucchini-like bread.

Ha! Lasagna! I have some cottage cheese that's on the verge of expiring tomorrow.

What else?

Thanks, GG. These fritters interest me. I have about 5 pounds of these green squash (not something I'd normally eat.)

The zucchini boats I've had are from tiny zucchinis, though I adore them. These are about a pound apiece, and I'm not even sure they're zucchinis. They're green, and some type of squash. I think. They're not meat.

Think I'll give a shot with the almost expired cottage cheese, sliced squash-type things on the mandolin, and lasagna. And fritters. I no longer have one square inch to freeze anything in either freezer.

If it turns out edible, I will post a pic.

Thanks, GG! I love freezer pickles, and it sounds like these remain crunchy.

Wonder if they'd keep their crunch after pickling. Maybe for freezer pickles. Good idea, AB.

If you want crunch look for a recipe that contains alum in the list of ingredients.

If the squash are getting large then I would slice them lengthwise and make pickle spears, slice off most of the seeds in the center and just pickle the firm flesh and skin.

Good luck!

I'm thinking the way I make cuke freezer pickles might work for these too. Kosher salt, let sit for a few hours, drain, rinse. The cukes are always nice and crunchy.

Hm. Unidentified squash make decent lasagna.
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1475973022.789307.jpg

As usual, I made enough for 8.

I mandolined the remaining two squash, they're salted and will probably become pickles.

Last edited:
Thank ya dear! I didn't roast the slices like the recipe stated, I stuck the slices in a ziplock, salted, shook, ignored them for awhile, then rinsed them.

I told DH the lasagna had to rest for 30 minutes after I took it out of the oven. He ignored me, and carved himself out a serving or two. Since I now have limited freezer space, I'll portion up a couple chunks for the neighbor. It's pretty good, if I do say so myself!

And I used every single snitch of the 3 cut up squash noodle slices, sauce, and cheese mixture! Thankfully I put the 9x13 on a baking sheet as there was some spillage, but it all fit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom