Surprise basil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I get a produce basket once a week. I got this as a "surprise basil". Anyone know what kind of basil this is? I'm guessing Thai or Greek. BTW, there weren't any dry bits on the leaves when I got it. I was just negligent with watering.

Attachments

• Mystery basil.jpg
    Mystery basil.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 158
If it has a strong anise aroma, it's probably Thai. The shape of the leaves is the same, and it looks like a purple blossom, which they get, and the stems are also sometimes purplish.

If it has a strong anise aroma, it's probably Thai. The shape of the leaves is the same, and it looks like a purple blossom, which they get, and the stems are also sometimes purplish.
Thanks. It does have a pronounced anise aroma. I have never had one of the Thai basil plants before. They are definitely one of the ones available where I get most of my produce. I thought it looked just a tiny bit different than Greek basil, but it's been a few years since I had one of those plants.

Now I just have to figure out a good use for them that doesn't involve some complicated recipe that I don't have the spoons (or ingredients) to make.

Taxlady, Some things I have used Thai basil for are things that would normally use tarragon. I actually like the flavor better in most things than tarragon, which has an anise flavor, as well, but not as complex. An omelette de fines herbes is one thing in which I often substitute it for the tarragon. Most of the Thai dishes using Thai basil that I make do have a lot of unusual ingredients in them, though most of them take less time than it takes for the rice to cook.

Thai and regular basil are the herbs that made me start growing in hydroponics, so that I could have them fresh, 365 days a year!

Thai basil as a tarragon substitute sounds like a great idea. I'll probably try that in an omelette or in a marinade or vinaigrette.

You can infuse vinegar with Thai basil. It turns a pretty lavender color and has that anise flavor. Try adding the leaves to a salad as an accent flavor, or to finish a stir-fry. You don't have to use it just for Thai dishes.

Back
Top Bottom