"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

It is the ice crystals that form in the freezer that damage the product. CWS has the best advice. Blanching is your answer.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
It doesn't last long in my house even if I buy a lot of it.
I like to cook it up and keep it in the fridge, use it scrambled eggs, green salad, Pasta salads, antipasto, snack on it as it is.
Never has time to get to the freezer.
During wild asparagus season (which, BTW, wild and cultivated asparagus are genetically the same), we often get 3 garbage bags (brown paper) of asparagus every 2 weeks (mid-May to the 4th of July). That is a LOT of asparagus. We eat it for every meal, but still end up having to freeze some.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

You have inspired me. I will try blanching.

Jesse
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Master Chef

Asparagus is my favorite vegetable too, but I've never tried to freeze it. It sounds like you have the answer CWS. I'm looking forward to pickling some when it comes down to door buster prices, I'd be in heaven with your free wild ones!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Asparagus is my favorite vegetable too, but I've never tried to freeze it. It sounds like you have the answer CWS. I'm looking forward to pickling some when it comes down to door buster prices, I'd be in heaven with your free wild ones!
I've planned my trip to MN this spring to be there during asparagus season. When I lived there, we would get sick of asparagus and I would freeze it for the winter.

I plan on bringing home at least one bagful! It grows profusely along the road in the forest about 3 miles from my parents. Here, I'm lucky if I get 12-14 stalks every 10 days (I have to fight off the deer and the dogs for it). I won't leave MN until I get my asparagus.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...(I have to fight off the deer and the dogs for it). I won't leave MN until I get my asparagus.
My Ridgeback can be sound asleep in the other room, with two TV's going, hear an asparagus stalk snap and be in the kitchen in half a second. Funny how he discerns that over all the other noises of cooking. He loves his asparagus, too.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
My Ridgeback can be sound asleep in the other room, with two TV's going, hear an asparagus stalk snap and be in the kitchen in half a second. Funny how he discerns that over all the other noises of cooking. He loves his asparagus, too.
I had a Saint Bernard that ate all the asparagus in my asparagus patch. She was nice enough to let me have the first harvest, but after that, she knew it was there each year and she'd beat me to the patch every time. She died in October (2003). My asparagus did not come back the next spring, not one stalk. I swear, she took it with her. Asparagus grows for 40-50 years. I had had the patch for about 20 years. Not one stalk has come up since she died. If any does come back, I'm in trouble...that means her spirit will be coming back to me (and yes, I do check every spring). I love RRs. I had an RRx--she was a wonderful dog. I love the way they smell...reminds me of Fritos!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, talk about a Twilight Zone movie. That's weird.

Fritos... I hadn't noticed, lol.

Tags
asparagus