"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 02-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Head Chef

The Universal Potato

Here's my dilemma.

Its just about that time to get serious about planning the 2016 garden here in New York.

The space I have to grow potatoes, is limited .
I used to grow many varieties, but this year I'd like to cut back.
( Leaving more room for a variety of other veggies)

I know certain potatoes are better for certain purposes than others depending on starch content, consistency , how they hold up in the cooking process ...

Therefore, Im wondering what the best , universal potato to grow is, when Im limited in space. ( or is there even a universal potato)

My basic potato usages are:
Soups, stews, baking, mashed potatoes, potato salad

Larry

Old 02-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I have not grown potatoes in many years so there may be new hybrids I am not aware of. With that said russet potatoes are a good all purpose potato. Imho I think they would work well for all but the potato salad which I like to use a waxier (sp) spud for.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Russet Potatoes. Have you tried growing potatoes in a bag, if you got two bags you could grow two varieties. Much smaller foot print.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Cook

As Mlyyates mentioned, russets are probably the most popular potato, but I like red potatoes and Yukon gold. These are good for potato salad, mashing, stews, and roasting. I like their firm texture and the skins can be left on the potato for salad, roasting, and mashing/smashing. I just may try a few potatoes in my veggie garden this year. Thanks for the idea!!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I use Yukon Gold potatoes for most purposes. I think they're in the middle of the scale.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I think you need two. Russets and Yukon Gold. The YGs are the most versatile. but the russets are the best for baking and french fries.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
Head Chef

Im sure I could handle two varieties ,
My problem is I have a weakness when I enter the garden store and see a dozen varieties.
I have to try them all, then I over crowd things, and I get a lot of nothing.
Same thing happens with me with tomatoes too.
I try to get only 3 varieties A grapes, something for sauce and something for slicing. next thing I know, I have 30 plants all over my yard or I just over crowd them. Wish I had an extra half acre to play with.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Be careful what you wish for, Larry! I have lots of room for veggies, but I have been invaded by gophers!! Now, I'm down to two large beds because we have had to dig out the beds (2 1/2 feet deep) and line them with wire! What a job!! Never before have there been so many gophers here -- maybe it was the drought here in California. Next year, we'll dig out a few more beds. I like to keep as close to organic as possible, so I don't want to poison or bomb the gophers. Digging and wire seem the only way to keep the little darlings out of the veggies!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
Be careful what you wish for, Larry! I have lots of room for veggies, but I have been invaded by gophers!! Now, I'm down to two large beds because we have had to dig out the beds (2 1/2 feet deep) and line them with wire! What a job!! Never before have there been so many gophers here -- maybe it was the drought here in California. Next year, we'll dig out a few more beds. I like to keep as close to organic as possible, so I don't want to poison or bomb the gophers. Digging and wire seem the only way to keep the little darlings out of the veggies!
Unfortunately , Im one step ahead of you.
had a mole/ vole problem.
had great looking plants in the morning, went to work, came home and they looked wilted. grabbed and pulled lightly, and out came the plant with chewed up roots and a small tunnel .
Then picked my potatoes , and each one had a bite ( or multiple bites ) out of it.

So, I too had to line the beds with wire, grow things in pots ....

Luckily I've acquired an outdoor cat, who has been a pretty successful hunter. But I still have to assume I have a problem, and have to take all precautions to ensure I have a decent harvest.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:01 PM   #10
Head Chef

We had a mole problem in the yard last year. A few bombs took care of that. Pellets and other edibles didn't seem to faze them, but after the bombs we never saw another new tunnel. Much as I like most critters, it comes to pests in my lawn, I'm not going to get too weepy about them.

Tags
potato