"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
Master Chef

Tired of gardening?

I just pulled a dozen "Amish Paste Tomatoes" off the bush. They aren't great eating raw kind of tomatoes, but make great sauce. BUT I've made more sauce than we can eat in a year, and have given away tons (I'm having the house painted and gave a huge bag away to one of our house painters!). I tore out my cucumber bushes because there was way too much, I've been accused of giving away cucumbers at the grocery store. I've frozen as much pesto, sauce, etc as my freezer can handle, and I think my neighbors hate to see me coming. This is only with a few square feet of garden. Enough is enough!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Me too Miss Claire.....It has been an exceptional year...It's like every seed came up twice, and every plant produced double....I'm tired, and ready for a break...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Wish you guys lived by us.. poor paul has had a bad year. I think we had way toooo much rain. Three or four red tomatoes and only 2 zuchinni!!! What's up with that. Nobody in Seattle had much luck this summer. Oh well, next year the sun will shine and we will be over flowing too.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

It was over-all dry here this year, and I had to water a good bit. I can deal with dry weather...it's just the rainy years that can be a pain, with low production, and disease!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I had a bad year too. May be lack of rain, late start, cool summer all blended in to one.
I almost don't want to do it again next year, all I made this year was compost.
:(
But, I know I will because I want to so badly!!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
Head Chef

Just an average year here. Even after all the changes I made from previous years to try and improve, got just an OK year. I will get the garlic in soon though.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Head Chef

Great year for some things (carrots, beets, beans, tomatoes, zucchini, spaghetti and butternut squash) ... Bad year for others (cuc's, yellow crook neck squash, brussel sprouts, peas). Some of it had to do with bunnies and replanting but some was the weather. We had a terrible storm in mid-July that hurt alot of things ...

I'm ready for a break too but then I try to think of February when I will be willing to give anything to just see the garden!

Claire, I have found that my neighbors take much more produce when they are not home .
Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Head Chef

Not a possibility. Like asking a crack-head if she is tired of dope.

I will be switching to indoor gardening soon--counting the days til I can start the seeds for next year.

Just brought some of my outdoor plants in, and look what happened:

This is my night-blooming cereus (doesn't that sound like a Dr. Suess character?

And a close up of the flower--it was as big as my hand.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Executive Chef

nope, not tired of the gardening process and I am already sad thinking about the day when I no longer, physically, can garden. I rely heavily on the garden for foodstuffs and am so glad I buy so little from the grocery store. Right now I am harvesting cabbage, broccoli, carrots, celery, peppers, parsley, tomatoes, black eyed peas, kale, and collards. And we haven't even dug the potatoes yet, we need to do that soon cause that is where the garlic will be planted.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Anthracnose disease has developed in my Mango tree this year which means we'll have very few fruit for Xmas. From there it has spread to the Bananas, the Pawpaws, the Monstera and now the citrus trees so it's been a constant battle trying to save them. I think I will take to the Mango tree with the chainsaw after the season and hope we don't get it next year.
I have just some shallots, bokchoy, long beans, pumpkins and rockmellons in at the moment.
Not a good year for me I'm afraid but I never get tired of gardening.