"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 09-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
...eight more tomatillos

tell me more - I'm not a fan of hot stuff - banana peppers is about as far as I go....

however comma but and all that, tomatillos are fascinating - seen but not anything I've grown. what does one do with them?
Have you tried them? They're not hot at all. They're crunchy like a green tomato but with a light citrusy flavor.

I have five plants producing right now. Here are some of my favorite ways to use them:

- Pozole: Try It Green! : Pati's Mexican Table
- Rick Bayless | Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Rick Bayless | Raw Tomatillo Salsa
- use them raw in green salad or a Mexican corn-tomato-tomatillo salad

I'm freezing some whole. When thawed, I'll buzz them in the FP to add to posole during the winter. I'm also freezing salsa to use as a braising liquid later on.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #92
Sous Chef

okay. appreciate it. tried them? no, that's the source of my Q. I'm pretty adventurous - if I don't know what it is I'll order it (g) - now.... if you don't speak the language, this is always a test-trip of faith - a few have been (ack!) most have been (YUM!)

I see them in the market, I t'dink I try some out of the market before doing the grow-me-own thing.

but, I would be looking for something beyond salsa. we do indeed dip-a-chip; but that activity is way more easily accommodated by some decent store bought salsa.

fired green tomatoes? those we relish regular....

Old 09-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't use the salsa for a dip but for a braising liquid or a topping for chicken enchiladas or fish tacos. It would also be good in quesadillas. We really like green posole and tomatillos are a primary ingredient.

I realized last night that I only had one lime - not enough for my Thai noodle recipe. So I thought, the tomatillos are citrusy, and I julienned a few and added them in. Good stuff
Old 09-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #94
Senior Cook

My tomatillo plant is LOADED! Didn't start to produce fruit until a few weeks ago. I've never grown them before, so does anyone know if this normal? It had blossoms for months before anything changed to fruit. I'll tell you one thing, the bees sure did enjoy this plant, they were constantly out there having a ball!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

It does take them a while to get going. After the flowers show up, the husk is formed and then it can take a couple of weeks before the fruit fills the husk. You know they're ready when the husk splits or they fall to the ground (we check every day). I have bees all over mine, too.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #96
Senior Cook

Thank you, GG. I was wondering how I'd know when they were ready for harvest. It's so interesting to see this work of nature building a husk and covering the fruit inside. Just amazing to me.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
tried them? no, that's the source of my Q.
I completely missed the reference that eight more tomatillos meant *my* tomatillos I thought you were saying you had eight more so I was confused about why you would think they might be hot
Old 09-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #98
Sous Chef

was checking them over today in the market - I need to come up with a dish.

we're not real big on (Tex-)Mex style wraps, etc. - what do you think about a stuffed trout?
Old 09-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

I think either the cooked or raw salsa would make a tasty topping for that. It would also be good on grilled or pan-fried pork chops that were seasoned with things like chile powder and cumin. Or use it to braise chicken thighs or pork shoulder steaks and serve with rice. Come to think of it, it would be good added to simmering rice, too. I do that with red salsa to make a quick Mexican rice.

Thanks for the inspiration
Old 09-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

I went out and picked up today's harvest of tomatillos there were a few knocked off by the storm last night that are not quite ready - they're edible, but they're not as big as they would have been.

See how the husks are split? I cut one open so you can see the texture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1441996911044.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	23432   Click image for larger version

Name:	1441996924986.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	23433  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1441996936016.jpg