Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peppers already!?! We won't have peppers for a month. I have three kinds growing this year. Asparagus is about done, I think we had our last bowls of it, yesterday.

Chards and lettuces, beets, radishes, doing great. Looking for a salad, then just step this way, out my patio door, next to the house. I'm looking forward to more, soon.

Potatoes are flowering, making little potatoes under ground! July is almost here, so garlic will come out in the middle of July. I need to make some garlic cheese bread for the guys.

Cakes? :yum: Do you grow chocolate, vanilla, or both? Maybe some other kinds too?

Yes, I'm being a smart...butt. I bet that was supposed to be "cukes". Now if we can just figure out how to grow cakes...:angel:

Whats funny is when I type " Kirbies" it auto corrects it to " Kitties" and now "cukes" corrected to " Cakes". I don't think my computer likes cucumbers.

We lost most of our garden to a cave in, the spot Dad picked had just been trenched and sewer pipe laid. They did not tamp it down when they finished so when we started watering heavily it all caved in. Lost the peppers, tomatillos, onions and strawberries.

Ouch Princess, that hurts! so sorry!

Would you like me to send a few dragonettes to breath a little fire on those workers? A little scorch here and there might teach them something.

Ouch Princess, that hurts! so sorry!

Would you like me to send a few dragonettes to breath a little fire on those workers? A little scorch here and there might teach them something.

Oh Please! Maybe they can fire roast some tomatoes for me too!

We lost most of our garden to a cave in, the spot Dad picked had just been trenched and sewer pipe laid. They did not tamp it down when they finished so when we started watering heavily it all caved in. Lost the peppers, tomatillos, onions and strawberries.

Sorry to hear this. I'm not sure how many days/months you have left for a growing season (your zone number?) but there are some varieties of some plants that will grow in 60 days and can be planted in July. Lettuce, chard, beets, peas, beans, radishes, turnips. Just check the package for how long each takes. Unfortunately, tomatoes and peppers (and tomatillas) take a longer season 80-120 days, someone else here might know more to help you out. If you grow an abundance of short term vegetables you might be able to barter with someone growing tomatoes and peppers.

Well hell, that's a shame, PF. I suppose it's out of the question to fill the hole in with said workers...:whistling:

And don't forget to tamp down real hard over those workers. What a heartbreak!

GG I know it is in a different time zone than you are in. Any suggestions for them to be able to redeem something so they can have something to harvest in the fall?

We are zone 4-5, I have tomatoes, peas, green beans, assorted cucumbers, yellow squash and zucchini. Cilantro bolted in the middle of the chaos, so we will have coriander seed. Will miss the salsa garden, that is what caved in...and the strawberries. The blueberry and raspberry bushes should bear fruit next summer.

And don't forget to tamp down real hard over those workers. What a heartbreak!

GG I know it is in a different time zone than you are in. Any suggestions for them to be able to redeem something so they can have something to harvest in the fall?
blissful made some good suggestions. I can't really add to that.

We are zone 4-5, I have tomatoes, peas, green beans, assorted cucumbers, yellow squash and zucchini. Cilantro bolted in the middle of the chaos, so we will have coriander seed. Will miss the salsa garden, that is what caved in...and the strawberries. The blueberry and raspberry bushes should bear fruit next summer.

PF, When I had the Girl Scout troop, one of their saying was, "To leave a place better than you found it." So ever since I have moved here, I have been fostering the idea of planting some blueberry bushes that will help feed the folks here. I keep saying "next year." Time to make next year happen this fall.

Recent harvests, from the last several days. 0630171340_HDR.jpg0703171925a_HDR.jpg

Some veggies and some herbs for last night's dinner.
0703172023c_HDR.jpg

Same light green zucchini from a few days ago.
0705171834a_HDR.jpg

Not sure about theres but around here some of the local nurseries still have some potted veggie plants that just didn't sell. Can possibly get a more ' mature' plant, that is ready to produce. Usually this late in the season, can often get a discount as well.

Just a suggestion,

Larry

Not sure about theres but around here some of the local nurseries still have some potted veggie plants that just didn't sell. Can possibly get a more ' mature' plant, that is ready to produce. Usually this late in the season, can often get a discount as well.

Just a suggestion,

Larry

Thanks Larry! I was the one who bought the last of the chili peppers, sweet peppers and tomatillos when they went half price.:ROFLMAO::LOL: Haven't seen onions since I bought mine the day the nursery opened.

Live and learn, I've been buying seeds @ 70% off for a good start next year. We are working on Dad's old chicken coop so we can get seeds started early, electric went in last week. Putting sky lights in today.

Back
Top Bottom