Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Larry! I was the one who bought the last of the chili peppers, sweet peppers and tomatillos when they went half price.:ROFLMAO::LOL: Haven't seen onions since I bought mine the day the nursery opened.

Live and learn, I've been buying seeds @ 70% off for a good start next year. We are working on Dad's old chicken coop so we can get seeds started early, electric went in last week. Putting sky lights in today.

That stinks, but I guess you got it all under control for next year.
As if there are not enough curveballs mother nature throws at us through the gardening season, now this.

That stinks, but I guess you got it all under control for next year.
As if there are not enough curveballs mother nature throws at us through the gardening season, now this.

The plumbing company who failed are dropping off two dump truck loads of good top soil to compensate Dad for the inconvenience. They are hoping he doesn't sue. We will be relocating the soil where it's needed, supplementing it as needed for a good start next year.

Good thing I know how to operate a shovel and wheelbarrow.:)

Hardly compensation for the work put into it, not to mention the cost of your materials. I think you need to convince them that they would like to come over next spring for a soil-moving party, PF. ;)

I just read your posts to Himself, starting with the one about the cave-in. He said it's a good thing neither of you were standing there when it caved. :ermm: :ohmy: Wow, that thought never crossed my mind. Scary...

I was pretty OK with not having a garden this year. Until I started seeing the harvests come in.

We are getting ready to do two greenhouses this fall so we should be good next year.

Well, as an option to try something different. You could plant garlic in October, which is when we plant it, mulch it. Then it comes up early spring through the mulch, scapes come in June, plants are harvested in July, dried/cured for a few weeks to a month. If you choose then to not grow garlic the next year, you can either plant a cover crop to fortify the soil from July until winter, or you can use that area for a fall garden of lettuces, peas, radishes. This way you end up rotating your crops/tomatoes/potatoes/garlic/etc. We have three gardens that we rotate and two that we don't but you can do the same with parts of just one garden.

Hardly compensation for the work put into it, not to mention the cost of your materials. I think you need to convince them that they would like to come over next spring for a soil-moving party, PF. ;)

I just read your posts to Himself, starting with the one about the cave-in. He said it's a good thing neither of you were standing there when it caved. :ermm: :ohmy: Wow, that thought never crossed my mind. Scary...

True, I would have been in over my head.

Today, 7 gallons of tomatoes, 2 gallons of various peppers and, 1 gallon of cucumbers. Yesterday, 5 gallons of grapes and 2 of summer squash. Day before 5 gallons of green beans and, 100 lbs of potatoes.

Yes I have a huge garden (2 plots) but, it is a share cropped garden so, there are two other families that get some of the harvest as well. They provide seeds or plants and fertilizer if needed, we share the upkeep. I harvest and preserve the produce and, distribute it to them. We also share the fish we catch and, game we hunt as well as meat animals we raise and, eggs (only one of them has chickens) No money changes hands, but we all live and eat well on about 30.00 USD per week spent at the grocery store.

Wow BlueMoods, that's impressive!

I looked and you've been a member for a few years but haven't posted much. Would you mind posting an introduction in the new members forum? Just curious to get to know you [emoji2]

We filled the kids wagon with onions and taters yesterday. Most of you probably seen the pictures i posted in another thread. We wont have anything else done for a while.

I'm always jealous of the southern states harvest and not jealous about your snakes and spiders. Today we (in a northern state) ate lettuce from the garden and some blanched pea pods, yum yum. We are just beginning.

My veggies are off to a late start. The grape toms, cukes, and beans are flowering their little hearts out, and I expect a prolific harvest. So happy this is a nonproductive year for my apple tree, no apples in sight! The blueberry gods have been very kind to us this year, sweet and delicious. It probably doesn't hurt that the last couple storms were frog-drowners.

PF, I'd be so bummed after all the work you've done. BlueMoods and FJ, you are gardening fools! Wow!

Last edited:
I'm always jealous of the southern states harvest and not jealous about your snakes snicketypoosna and spiders. .

I concur!!!

BTW- my slight editing is because I never use that word, nor is it allowed to be spoken in my house.

Considering I live in the country I've been blessed with sighting very few. I had a cat that used to constantly bring them home... and size didn't matter, largest was about 5 ft. (shudder - couldn't use that patio door for about two weeks).

Today, 7 gallons of tomatoes, 2 gallons of various peppers and, 1 gallon of cucumbers. Yesterday, 5 gallons of grapes and 2 of summer squash. Day before 5 gallons of green beans and, 100 lbs of potatoes.

Yes I have a huge garden (2 plots) but, it is a share cropped garden so, there are two other families that get some of the harvest as well. They provide seeds or plants and fertilizer if needed, we share the upkeep. I harvest and preserve the produce and, distribute it to them. We also share the fish we catch and, game we hunt as well as meat animals we raise and, eggs (only one of them has chickens) No money changes hands, but we all live and eat well on about 30.00 USD per week spent at the grocery store.
Think I remember you saying a few days ago that you moved from California(?) to Arkansas to become a farmer. Was this troika arranged before the move? Is there a Barterer's Gazette where folks find each other?
Anyway, I'm very impressed and enjoy hearing about it.

I also had an above average blueberry crop.
My cukes look like its going to be one of those, all at once harvests, then die off.
Some seasons Im picking them for weeks, other's i get them all in a matter of a week or two and thats all she wrote. Just started a second batch from seed so ill have a second harvest in a few months.

I also had an above average blueberry crop.
My cukes look like its going to be one of those, all at once harvests, then die off.
Some seasons Im picking them for weeks, other's i get them all in a matter of a week or two and thats all she wrote. Just started a second batch from seed so ill have a second harvest in a few months.
That's a good idea, Larry. I ought to do that, too.

Some more recent harvests. We're getting enough now to keep me in daily tomatoes :yum: I'm freezing Romas till I have enough to make sauce or paste. IMG_20170706_132641_295.jpg
0706171622b_HDR.jpg
0707171735_HDR.jpg
0708172020_HDR.jpg
0710171712b_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom