Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I concur!!!

BTW- my slight editing is because I never use that word, nor is it allowed to be spoken in my house.

Considering I live in the country I've been blessed with sighting very few. I had a cat that used to constantly bring them home... and size didn't matter, largest was about 5 ft. (shudder - couldn't use that patio door for about two weeks).

Snake snake snake!! lol that was very funny.
GotGarlic, our tomato canning season started mid August last year, so you are one full month ahead of us here in Wisconsin.
Larry, I can plant my fall seeds in July but no later. I've done it in early August and that is just too late for us. More lettuce, peas, beans to go in once the garlic is out in a week or so.

Larry, I can plant my fall seeds in July but no later. I've done it in early August and that is just too late for us. More lettuce, peas, beans to go in once the garlic is out in a week or so.

Yeah, Ive started in August with minimal to no luck.
Im doing the same, just got the garlic out ( great year, I might add)
Today I spent time starting cukes and a few other things.
Started Zucchinis last week, already a few inches tall.
Beans and peas later in the week ( hope I have enough room)

Yeah, Ive started in August with minimal to no luck.
Im doing the same, just got the garlic out ( great year, I might add)
Today I spent time starting cukes and a few other things.
Started Zucchinis last week, already a few inches tall.
Beans and peas later in the week ( hope I have enough room)

Oh that is so great that your garlic is out and you had a great year. We are about a week or so from harvest of garlic and there is nothing I can do to make this summer season last longer, I'm in wisconsin, and it's a limited season. The good thing though is no SNAKES and minimal icky spiders. I have to say, though, I saw a fast running spider near my pots and pans and now I'm all feeling icky about it. I might have to put some diatomaceous earth in that cabinet, as I hear it helps to make spiders rest.

The kale delicious, radishes are getting a bit hot, and tomatoes are starting to show up. Since they are all heirloom varieties, it will be awhile before we can enjoy those.

Did some harvesting this morning. A couple of cucumbers got away from me. I'm thinking I'll make agua fresca, since it's going to be really hot the next few days. I'm using one of the zucchini for stuffed zucchini boats tonight, and will make pickles later. I still have three zukes and two cukes in the fridge. And a *lot* of jalapeños in the freezer. Thinking I might make some pickled jalapeños and maybe try cowboy candy.
IMG_20170720_084234_585.jpg

GG, cowboy candy?? :huh:

and are those poblano peppers? :ohmy: If so I'm soo jealous. Can't buy them started, I'm lousy at starting, last but not least - they are available right downtown (so I'm told) but on the West Island and out here ... nope. :ermm: :(

There is one guy who frequents the various farmer's markets but he rarely has poblanos.

All I have is 2 tiny green tomatoes on my vine that I go out every evening to stare at like it's going to speed things up! Heh.
GG, cowboy candy is a recipe from Pioneer Woman isn't it? I think I recall seeing it somewhere but can't quite remember.

GG, cowboy candy?? :huh:

and are those poblano peppers? :ohmy: If so I'm soo jealous. Can't buy them started, I'm lousy at starting, last but not least - they are available right downtown (so I'm told) but on the West Island and out here ... nope. :ermm: :(

There is one guy who frequents the various farmer's markets but he rarely has poblanos.
No, those are cubanelles. They're very mild green peppers. Some of them are big enough to be stuffed like poblanos, though. See below about the cowboy candy.

Last edited:
All I have is 2 tiny green tomatoes on my vine that I go out every evening to stare at like it's going to speed things up! Heh.
GG, cowboy candy is a recipe from Pioneer Woman isn't it? I think I recall seeing it somewhere but can't quite remember.
Aww! Soon! [emoji2]

You may be thinking of her cowboy caviar - a type of salsa. Cowboy candy is sweet and sour candied jalapeños. Here's one recipe: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/snacks_and_munchies/cowboy_candy.html

Thanks GG, I appreciatates! I remember now I had heard of "Cowboy Candy". In checking it out there are as many recipes out there as food bloggers! LOL. \

My problem around here is that no matter how big the grocery store is - cross Canada or local... not many of them know the difference in the various peppers. Again, I would have to go downtown to specific suppliers.

Wish I'd thought to ask my son to get some in Toronto. They seem to supply all different types and actually seem to know what they are supplying, even thou a lot of these grocers are connected, Fortino's, Independant are both President's Choice, etc. But he's already left and I wouldn't ask him to stop now. (2 kids, 2 dogs probably arrive around midnight... sigh, don't know who it is harder on - the g'kids or me)

My Sweet 100, keeps giving me these small Tomatoes, a handful at a time. (Not exactly "100" as they say)
002.JPG
It's about 8 feet tall now, and DH says the fruit is really good. (I can't gag that stuff down :ninja:)
I have to wrangle it every so often, as it grows all over the place.
My Cucumber is very taken with the Tomato, wrapping "her" tendrils around the sturdy branches.
We had a huge micro-burst last night that knock around the Tomato and the Cucumber, but they did okay. Everybody else in my small Patio Pot Garden were fine.

I sure love seeing the bountiful pics from everyone's gardens. Looking forward to seeing more as the season progresses! :)

Oh ty for the recipe! I figured I got confused :ROFLMAO: I started to stage myself on the dementia scale but that's too scary :wacko:

As long as you are wearing only one layer of clothes, with all the clothes in the right place, you are fine.:LOL:

Skillet, you're going to have fun!

Last night's harvest, after it finally cooled off a bit:
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1500635745.245927.jpg

I think five beans are all I'm going to get this year. The rabbits have been very busy, and mostly left me leaf-less bean stalks.

Back
Top Bottom