Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW, you sure have got the green thumb there Larry!

003.JPG
I harvested Cucumber #2 and #3 this morning
002.jpg
... from my tiny little plant
001.JPG
... and only get a small handful of tomatoes each day or so...
but it's been fun playing with my patio pot garden, not sure I'll do it again next year though.

The shallots are huge and the plums tiny... :rolleyes:

the tomatoes are falling off before being ripe. If it was going to be sunny this week, no problem, I would just let them ripen in the sun, but it's going to be cloudy and rainy all week. :mad: So I guess I'll just peel them and freeze, then decide what I will make with them.

I got 2 rather small sweet red pepper fairly early and all the rest are still green with no sign of turning. :( I don't care for green peppers, :glare:

Lots of flowers on the eggplants but only a couple developing. So I'll have had 3/4 and another 3/4 to come. But had it not been so rainy this summer .... wishful thinking, :(

awkk!! pics disappeared... try again... :mad:

Attachments

• 20170904_160630.jpg
    20170904_160630.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20170904_160640.jpg
    20170904_160640.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 110
Larry, those are some banana plants! Nice pineapple, too. How did it taste?

... For some of my more exotic ( to me ) plants I shop at Logees.com. They are located in Connecticut, and you can also visit their greenhouse and check out all the plants...
We live about 20 miles from Logee's. You know, in case you ever want to shop there. Give me a week's notice after we get back home so I can clean the guest room and guest bath. ;)

Larry, those are some banana plants! Nice pineapple, too. How did it taste?

We live about 20 miles from Logee's. You know, in case you ever want to shop there. Give me a week's notice after we get back home so I can clean the guest room and guest bath. ;)

The pineapple was very sweet, but not as big as you'd get in the store ( even though it was started from a full grown pineapple). Im guessing either the non ideal pineapple conditions or maybe the pot may have stunted its growth. But either way, it was still cool getting a pineapple that I started from a cutting.

Me in logees is like a kid in a candy store. Ive only been there a few times, but never leave empty handed. If its a plant that will ultimately give you something to eat, Ill buy it. Sadly not all are a success story due to non ideal conditions and lack of a green house. Currently I've managed to keep my cinnamon tree, kaffir lime tree and allspice tree alive and relatively healthy. Some of my failures include the vanilla bean vine and pepper ( as in the kind you grind up) plant. My mini avocado tree is still alive, but not the happiest plant in the world. So, as long as you have room for me and my plants, Im game :LOL:

Getting ready to make a big pot of posole verde (Mexican pork and tomatillo stew) with Anaheim and jalapeño peppers just picked from the garden. I also thawed a pound of garden tomatillos from a couple years ago to go in as well.
1007171314.jpg

Thank you. I have so many green ones in the freezer already, I thought I'd let some ripen further, for the color variation if not the flavor. I have red jalapeños, too. Next time we have the smoker going, I'm going to smoke some to use in stews this winter.

Thank you. I have so many green ones in the freezer already, I thought I'd let some ripen further, for the color variation if not the flavor. I have red jalapeños, too. Next time we have the smoker going, I'm going to smoke some to use in stews this winter.

The Kroger store on the corner normally sells jalapenos for 79¢ per pound. Ripe jalapenos, labeled fresnos, when they have them, are usually $4.99/ lb. Smoked and dried jalapenos, also known as chipotles, are fairly inexpensive in the Mexican mercados but I rarely seem them in a regular grocery.

My tiny little indoor aquaponic garden is progressing slowly. A few herbs and lettuces should be growing in a few weeks. Next year I hope to get some peppers and tomatoes going.

Last edited:
Mad scramble for the last of these vegetables. I had them under blankets at night for the past month, but 19*F is predicted tonight and blankets will not work anymore! Harvested carrots, onions, celery, calabacitas, bell peppers, chiles, tomatoes, and eggplants

Attachments

• DSCN6436.jpg
    DSCN6436.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN6438.jpg
    DSCN6438.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 112
The pineapple was very sweet, but not as big as you'd get in the store ( even though it was started from a full grown pineapple). Im guessing either the non ideal pineapple conditions or maybe the pot may have stunted its growth. But either way, it was still cool getting a pineapple that I started from a cutting.
Thought of you immediately. Imagine Larry's back yard.
https://www.wimp.com/pineapple-harvest/

The Kroger store on the corner normally sells jalapenos for 79¢ per pound. Ripe jalapenos, labeled fresnos, when they have them, are usually $4.99/ lb. Smoked and dried jalapenos, also known as chipotles, are fairly inexpensive in the Mexican mercados but I rarely seem them in a regular grocery.

My tiny little indoor aquaponic garden is progressing slowly. A few herbs and lettuces should be growing in a few weeks. Next year I hope to get some peppers and tomatoes going.

I was at the doctor's office on Friday. As I was leaving, in the lobby was an old man selling bags of Scotch Bonnets. I would guess there were about 20 of them for $2. Sounded like a bargain to me. So I bought a bag and gave it to Spike.

Thats Great !!!
I just wish I had that many Pineapples to harvest.

Pineapple plants are not the kindest plants ( leaves almost serrated like knives and pointy tips). I hope those people in the fields are well protected.
I thought it was such a fun video on pineapples. :LOL::LOL:

My cayenne pepper plants are loaded with fruit. So, today I picked a bunch. I put some in little food saver bags to freeze. Those I can use like fresh peppers during the winter. The rest are on a cooling rack to dry. Those I can grind for cayenne powder, or if needed, rehydrated for cooking.

CD

My last harvest for this season

001.JPG

It was 33⁰F for the overnight low here;we've been watching the weather forecast, knowing that it was coming. So yesterday DH helped me and we picked our last batch of Sweet 100 Tomatoes and chopped down the plant.
We were very grateful that the last of the vacant lots next to us are now being built, because we have a nice big dumpster right next door to throw all of our over-sized trash into ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom