Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are just finishing (WI) putting in the garlic for next year. You can put it in as long as your ground is not frozen completely and you can make a hole in the dirt. Harvest is next July.

We have blankets covering a small garden, pulled the green tomatoes. The celery needs to come in next, then dehydrate it, then the last of the beets for a beet salad. Oh there were a few green onions that need to come in from under the blanket too.

blissful inspired me to go take some photos

I will try to take two beds through the winter. We have had great success with the hooped house the past three winters. Mostly have carrots, swiss chard, celery and parsley in the beds for this winters' pickings.

Attachments

• DSCN6499.jpg
    DSCN6499.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN6501.jpg
    DSCN6501.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 100
1/2 a kettle of beets, a pint or so of chopped green onions, a small pan of swiss chard. My salad garden is done.

We had 9*F last night. I opened up the tightly secured hoop houses and harvested celery, swiss chard, parsley, rosemary and carrots

Attachments

• DSCN6570.jpg
    DSCN6570.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 100
My rosemary is still good outside without cover. Should I set it on the covered deck for the winter or bring inside? We are still hanging in the high 20's to 40's at night.

My rosemary is still good outside without cover. Should I set it on the covered deck for the winter or bring inside? We are still hanging in the high 20's to 40's at night.
I had a rosemary bush for over 20 years. After we had a week of temperatures in the teens a few years ago (unusual in my area, zone 8b), it died. Rosemary originated growing on hillsides around the Mediterranean Sea, so I would bring it in where you are. It may drop some leaves, but it should survive the winter.

I bring my rosemary inside every winter. It seems to like that. It just keeps on growing, but a little slower. Sometimes it even blooms.

Last edited:
Those carrots look terrific.
Mine are always an embarrassment no matter what I do.
Only one year I had luck.
This time of year, my garden is only a distant memory and an ongoing dream of what to do next year.

Although, I did pick a bunch of basil from my aquaponic garden , enough to make pesto

Nice going GreenEnvy. Your tomatoes are ripening ahead of ours, woo hoo. That is so great.
We picked 6+ lbs of cucumbers, that will go into jars tomorrow as Emeril's sweet and spicy pickles.

Went away for a few days, we had people watering and picking, but doesn't look like they could keep up.
I sense a canning day

Attachments

• 20180804_072811.jpg
    20180804_072811.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 87
I noticed a few windfalls under my apple trees this morning so I'll be making apple chutney soon. The trees are nearly a hundred years old but keep surprising me by producing apples every year.

I'm particularly pleased with them this year as a couple of months ago I caught the new neighbour in my garden trying to cut them down. They are on my land and I have a 4 foot private path between my house and his, so the trees are not interfering with his plans for his back garden. He claimed that they cut off the light (which they didn't) and then that the roots would interfere with the extension he was going to build.

I think he had seen a white-haired old lady with a walking stick and thoroughly underestimated the situation! Many have done likewise but few have got away with it. He slunk off with his tail between his legs when I'd finished with him.

I noticed a few windfalls under my apple trees this morning so I'll be making apple chutney soon. The trees are nearly a hundred years old but keep surprising me by producing apples every year.

I'm particularly pleased with them this year as a couple of months ago I caught the new neighbour in my garden trying to cut them down. They are on my land and I have a 4 foot private path between my house and his, so the trees are not interfering with his plans for his back garden. He claimed that they cut off the light (which they didn't) and then that the roots would interfere with the extension he was going to build.

I think he had seen a white-haired old lady with a walking stick and thoroughly underestimated the situation! Many have done likewise but few have got away with it. He slunk off with his tail between his legs when I'd finished with him.

Yea! for white-haired old ladies!:LOL::ROFLMAO: It is easy to underestimate us!

Back
Top Bottom