Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CG - that's exactly what I thought too! What a cute little veggie! Just want to cuddle and squeeze it. Then maybe swallow too :rolleyes:

I picked my first batch of garlic. This one is called Blossom. I think I got the hang of when to pull my garlic. I plan to do it on a case by case basis. Last year, I made the mistake of pulling them all at once without realizing that some varieties are late and some are early. These look pretty good.

6Yt7tMj.jpg

bbq--they look great! You're right, garlic does mature at different times. We stopped growing one that didn't fit into our harvest window of time. Both of ours are still in the ground and July 10th is almost here. It might go to the 14th or later...we'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Our lettuce garden is at the perfect stage for 'baby greens', so I better get out there and take a picture while it is in its infancy, lol.

bbq, looks great!
Ill probably dig mine up tomorrow.
We traditionally do it on July 4th, but last year they seamed to have needed another week or two. Ill do a test dig, and if it looks good, then out they come.
I also want to get my second planting of string beans in, and Im out of real estate, so I need to get something out to get the beans in.

onions have bulbed but greens still haven't fallen over yet, and the bulbs look like they can get bigger. Waiting for them to get out so I can get chard in and a second round of carrots.

I also want to try my (bad) luck at corn again.

Just made my first jar of pickles a few days ago. Jar 2 and 3 should be filled tomorrow.

Love this time of year!

I also want to get my second planting of string beans in, and Im out of real estate,

Forgot to mention that I planted a row of Edamame in the area I pulled the garlic. I love being able to get a second crop of something in the same season.

onions have bulbed but greens still haven't fallen over yet, and the bulbs look like they can get bigger.

One of the onions I planted is Ailsa Craig. Supposedly they can get as big as 2-3 pounds. We'll see what happens.

I have a few volunteer plants in my garden. One of them is some sort of squash. Just found out that it's zucchini. Some of my volunteer tomato plants are bigger and further along than the ones I started inside. Amazing!

I have a few volunteer plants in my garden. One of them is some sort of squash. Just found out that it's zucchini. Some of my volunteer tomato plants are bigger and further along than the ones I started inside. Amazing!

I also have a few Volunteers.
Each year I always say im going to get rid of them, cause the interrupt my planning and placement of things. And having all raised beds, the volunteer vines go all over the place. But , I dont have the heart to dig them up, and I always feel, if they planted themselves, and germinated themselves and are doing well, they may be the most productive cause theyre doing it at what they feels it he best time and conditions and not forced.

Last year I got 8 spaghetti squash off one or two volunteer vines. During the winter I used one of my raised beds as a compost and the seeds just came up.

This year I have at least 1 volunteer tomatoes , a few spaghetti squash, a few cucumbers and I think a butternut squash. All in the worst possible places as they are spreading out all over the place. Im doing my best to contain them and make them look orderly, but Im losing the battle.

Hopefully they are productive, then I won't mind as much.

A friend of mine got a whole bunch of volunteer tomatoes. We were baffled. We eventually figured out that it was probably from her worm compost.

Great garlic, bbq! It's probably good that all of your garlic does not have to be pulled at the same time!

I used to grow my tomatillos from volunteers, because they produce so many! I must have weed-wacked over 50 of them all over out there this year! However, it seems that I never get any volunteer pepper plants, probably because I never drop any! lol

Years ago, a friend had a volunteer tomato plant pop up next to his front porch, so he left it there. Eventually, he had a 4' high plant, covered with blossoms...but never a single tomato! Must have been a sterile hybrid.

Great garlic, bbq! It's probably good that all of your garlic does not have to be pulled at the same time!

I used to grow my tomatillos from volunteers, because they produce so many! I must have weed-wacked over 50 of them all over out there this year! However, it seems that I never get any volunteer pepper plants, probably because I never drop any! lol

Years ago, a friend had a volunteer tomato plant pop up next to his front porch, so he left it there. Eventually, he had a 4' high plant, covered with blossoms...but never a single tomato! Must have been a sterile hybrid.

My parents used to live at the bottom of a hill. Every time it rained the water would rush down everyones backyard ( basically forming an instant river with a current). My parents backyard would be filled with crap from everyone else backyard that floated away ( lawn chairs, kids toys ...). The river would ultimately cross through his garden, make it around the house, and over a brick wall that lined the neighbors driveway, creating a water fall ( and probably flooding their garage too).

Anyway, my dad planted tomatillos one year. They did rather well fruited quite a bit, to the point where there were so many, that a lot of them dropped. The following year, my dad had dozens of volunteer tomatillo plants on the other side of the garden, cause the current had taken and replanted all the dropped seeds. He never had to buy/ pant another tomatillo again. they turned into a perrenial type plant , always reseeding themselves.

I have a similar issue with ground cherries , husk cherries ... Very similar to tomatillos, I haven't planted them in years but there are always a few that kinda pop up in various locations in my yard. Probably thanks to the birds doing their thing.

As far as tomatoes go, for years we had a volunteer cherry tomato plant near our front door. My wife loves tomatoes, and often raids the garden when Im not home. I have to warn her what we're having for dinner for the week, so she doesn't gobble up all the veggies I plan on using. Anyway, I left these plants cause it would keep her out of the main garden. they did rather well, but were sloppy, as I didn't cage or stake them up. This year was the first year they didn't come back, She was so upset.

And speaking of my wife in the garden, One year she wanted to help, so I said sure, you can help weed. I showed here what the okra plants looked like and said, pul everything else that is green our of this area , except all the plants that look like this ( the okra plants). She must have been day dreaming, or maybe never wanted to weed again, cause she literally 'weeded' every okra plant out of the garden, and left al the weeds . To her defense , the okra plants were only 3 or 4 inches high ( not like a couple of feet), but I couldn't have been anymore thorough on showing her the difference. She is no longer allowed to help in the garden.

I have a similar issue with ground cherries , husk cherries ... Very similar to tomatillos, I haven't planted them in years but there are always a few that kinda pop up in various locations in my yard. Probably thanks to the birds doing their thing.

At my community garden plot, I noticed a few solitary asparagus plants growing next to a plot stake. I asked an old timer about it and he says that it’s from a bird. They eat the asparagus berries and like to perch on the stakes. So the seeds come out after going through the digestive process. It made sense that it was next to a stake where they like to rest versus some other random spot. Fascinating how the seeds make their way to other areas.

At my community garden plot, I noticed a few solitary asparagus plants growing next to a plot stake. I asked an old timer about it and he says that it’s from a bird. They eat the asparagus berries and like to perch on the stakes. So the seeds come out after going through the digestive process. It made sense that it was next to a stake where they like to rest versus some other random spot. Fascinating how the seeds make their way to other areas.

When I was in Alabama ( or maybe it was Mississippi, I forget) a few years back , we took a swamp boat tour ( which was great). The guide pointed to a dead Tree ( must have been 30 or 40 feet tall) and told us to look all the way up at the top. Although the tree was dead ( and looked quite dead), at the very top, birds apparently sit up there and do their business, and planted seeds that were vigorously growing at the very top of the tree. The very top had broken off, creating a cavity. As that part decomposed, it created the perfect environment for the seeds to germinate. It was actually kinda cool.

For about 10 years, I had a patch of parsley that just kept coming back. Parsley is a biannual. I would get mostly 1st year and some 2nd year parsley and the next year it would be the opposite. I also had some coriander that came back for about 3 years. My chives come back and that's probably been going for 15 or 20 years. I planted scallion seeds one year. I only ever cut those plants. They came back for about 5 years.

For about 10 years, I had a patch of parsley that just kept coming back. Parsley is a biannual. I would get mostly 1st year and some 2nd year parsley and the next year it would be the opposite. I also had some coriander that came back for about 3 years. My chives come back and that's probably been going for 15 or 20 years. I planted scallion seeds one year. I only ever cut those plants. They came back for about 5 years.

I love things that keep coming back.
My parsley is hit or miss, but almost always it at least survives the winter to the point that when I need parsley, I can just dig away the snow and the leaves are still crisp and ready to go.

I have the same chive plants that I took from my parents when I moved into my house ( about 20 years ago)

Finally, Im a member of the " harvested my garlic club".
about 50% were as big or bigger than I expected. Another 25% were not as big , but still respectable. And the others Ill use for marinating, pickling ... Not worth the effort to try and peel.

I did have a few where the leaves and stem separated from the head of garlic. And its not like the ground was tough and it separated during the harvesting process, the leaves and stem literally just slide right off leaving the head under the ground. Im wondering if I left them in too long or something else was going on.

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 95
Larry, we have two ways to harvest garlic.
Dig, or pull.
DH digs, I pull them out.
I lose about 2 head per row of 30. Then DH digs them out.

When we think of it, even though it's not good to water garlic in the last few weeks before harvest, we sometimes water the night before, to make them easier to harvest in the morning.

I doubt you did anything wrong.

I love things that keep coming back.

:ROFLMAO: except for certain guests!

I'm not uderstanding all your talk of harvesting the garlic now. We plant our garlic in the fall (usually Halloween), harvest the following fall when the stalks and leaves have browned and dried. ???

I did the Pull, and dig by default lol.
All worked out.
I haven't closely inspected the heads yet, ( my wife and son helped , so I only know what I picked). But after a few days of drying then hanging them in the garage, Ill get a better idea. last year I had about 60 heads which lasted about 1/2 the year. I doubled up so I could get a full year out of my harvest. When I hang them Ill et the final count.

Ive been tempted just to grow garlic since its so easy, almost always a predictable crop with little to no effort.

Just put string beans and chard in its place ( started them from seed about 2 weeks ago). Also ripped up the peas ( I always get crappy results with peas) and replaced them with pole beans I also started from seed a few weeks back.

Now Im thinking what I should Start by seed to replace the onions that will likely be picked in a few weeks.

I know I want to eventually get Kale in for a fall harvest, maybe I can start corn ( which the squirrels will eat ). Maybe some cukes and another round of string beans .

:ROFLMAO: except for certain guests!

I'm not uderstanding all your talk of harvesting the garlic now. We plant our garlic in the fall (usually Halloween), harvest the following fall when the stalks and leaves have browned and dried. ???

For me its all guests, not just certain ones LOL. Its my antisocial nature .

Our leaves dry and brown usually about July 4th , and I get them in the ground mid to late October. I follow the directions of the garlic farmer I get my seed garlic from who is only 20 - 30 miles north of where I am. I figure he must know what he's talking about, he's planting the same varieties and similar location.

You can also save your own seed garlic. Choose the biggest healthiest ones. That's what we do, plant in Oct, Nov, Dec, as long as the ground can be broken up, harvest in July.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom