"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #321
Executive Chef

Fall Harvest

Was able to make a pit stop home in time to harvest peanuts and Sweet potatoes. While away I had my daughter keep me informed of the temperatures and frost conditions. The sweet potato vines were affected by the cold and frost, but the ground didnt freeze, so no damage to the potatoes. The peanut plants didnt look terribly happy about the cold, but were still alive. Usually I pick these two in the middle of October, but being away, I had to wait until now.

Peanuts were above average. I had just as many as last year, with 1/2 the amount of plants. They had room to spread out, which allowed them to put down more runners ( or whatever the proper term for a peanut plant would be), which allowed for more peanuts to develop.

The sweet potatoes were probably the same last last year. I changed their location this year because the vines grow all over the place, so i had to put them in a place where the vines wouldn't interfere with everything else.

Ill make not of this for next year. Garden is just about all picked out. Still have some potatoes and carrots in the ground, chard stopped growing, but whats there looks ok, and the parsley ,rosemary and thyme look healthy.

The miniature kiwis are plentiful, but out of reach. I may be brave and make an attempt to pick them when I get back, over the weekend.

Found a few tomatillos entangled in the sweet potato vines. Not sure I have enough to do anything will, but maybe ill make some kinda salsa.

Also have the mother load of sunchokes. Anyone have any good uses for them ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7999.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	32136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8002.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	32137  

Name:	IMG_8003.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	32138  

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:54 PM   #322
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
...Also have the mother load of sunchokes. Anyone have any good uses for them ???
Ask and you shall receive! I ran across a recipe (or two, but I dog-earred just one page) for a "carrot & sunchoke soup" in the November Rachael Ray magazine. It calls for chicken broth, but you could probably use a light-tasting veggie stock instead.

Carrot & Sunchoke Soup

She may have had another sunchoke recipe in that magazine, maybe two. I suppose if you google "Rachael Ray" and "sunchokes" other recipes might pop up.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:31 AM   #323
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Ask and you shall receive! I ran across a recipe (or two, but I dog-earred just one page) for a "carrot & sunchoke soup" in the November Rachael Ray magazine. It calls for chicken broth, but you could probably use a light-tasting veggie stock instead.

Carrot & Sunchoke Soup

She may have had another sunchoke recipe in that magazine, maybe two. I suppose if you google "Rachael Ray" and "sunchokes" other recipes might pop up.
Great!
Thanks for keeping this thread in the back of your mind.
We just got 5 inches of snow here, so I have to wait for it to melt before I can dig the Sunchokes up.

I dug a few up the other day, just to see what was going on. Not as much or big as I expected, but definitely enough to do something with.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #324
Master Chef

The final harvest of carrots this season. Even though we have had single digit temperatures many times, none of them had freeze damage. They filled 3 1/2 one gallon storage bags.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN8465.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	32647  
Old 12-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #325
Chef Extraordinaire

Nice harvest!
Old 12-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #326
Senior Cook

Great harvest for so late! You must have had some good mulch on those.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #327
Head Chef

Picking in between showers peas, raspberries, strawberries, beans and basil and cilantro. New potatoes ready for Xmas day.
Remember it's summer here.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #328
Executive Chef

Those carrots look great. I don't usually have too much luck with carrots, so Im envious.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:27 AM   #329
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Picking in between showers peas, raspberries, strawberries, beans and basil and cilantro. New potatoes ready for Xmas day.
Remember it's summer here.

Russ
I'm jealous! Well...maybe not. I always say I miss all those foods, but not the heat!

I am just getting ready to harvest my first lettuce in hydro. And tomorrow I'll be trimming a bunch of the herbs growing into the lights, to give to friends.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:51 AM   #330
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I'm jealous! Well...maybe not. I always say I miss all those foods, but not the heat!

I am just getting ready to harvest my first lettuce in hydro. And tomorrow I'll be trimming a bunch of the herbs growing into the lights, to give to friends.
Wife has a greenhouse so we been eating lettuces and spring onions and a cucumber the other day. We just dried a heap of herbs as well.

Russ

Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote