"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #721
Head Chef

I only plant two tomatillo plants, on a trellis. That purple one didn't do well at all, so I won't do that again. I did a "Gigante" one year, and got two flushes of fruits - one earlier than the normal kind, and one later - sort of like some of my determinate peppers. But nothing this late!

I just picked the end of my habanero peppers. Still have 4 types out there - Hanoi market, Aleppo, Longhorn, and the cherries (that were supposed to be fresnos), that are still loaded with peppers. It is supposed to get to the very low 40s, or even the 30s Saturday night, so this week they will all be down this week. A few butternuts out there still, and a few beans still, though most of what I left are for saving seeds from; I got a few Blauhilde today that are totally dry, but a lot are still moist. And all of the plants that need to come in will be in soon - I've been bringing that curry tree in to my back porch every night it would be below 50°, but all will be in, since it will be getting to the 30s.
The end of the Aji Dulce peppers 10-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The end of the Red Savinas and a few chocolate habs 10-28. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old 11-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #722
Head Chef

Harvested the last of the butternuts today - though I doubt that it will freeze, my area is under a freeze warning (not just frost), and I haven't even had a frost yet! I snipped the last of the dill that was out there - I'll have to make something with that. I will also harvest those last 4 types of peppers, and they will be done with. A few beans left too, that I will harvest.
Last of the butternuts, 11-1. Smallest a bit green, but they often ripen, just sitting on the countertop. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old 11-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #723
Head Chef

Finished all of the peppers, on first of November! I don't think that they have ever lasted this long, at least in this amount - there have been a few here and there in the past, but nothing like this.
Last of the Hanoi Markets, from just 2 plants 11-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last of the longhorns from 2 plants 11-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last harvested from 2 Aleppo plants, and 1 cherry pepper plant 11-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Bunch of weed dill harvested at the end of the season 11-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The greens are doing great, and sometime this week, the garlic is going in!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:05 AM   #724
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
...I snipped the last of the dill that was out there - I'll have to make something with that...
Dill pickles!

Crock Dill Pickles

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #725
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Dill also freezes well. It won't be pretty thawed, but will still taste fresh. I have used frozen dill when making gravad laks. Both the salmon and dill were still frozen when put the salt and other stuff on them and stuck it in the fridge to marinate.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #726
Head Chef

I won't have to freeze it, as I have some growing indoors, and soon it will be large enough to harvest. I have some dill butter in the freezer, to use with fish sometimes.

Something that seems unusual to use dill in, when I first learned about it, is Asian food, but it turned out to be delicious! It is used in a lot of Laotion food, in large amounts, sometimes in combination with basil, which also seemed strange, but was delicious.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #727
Head Chef

Pepperhead, your productivity amazes me. How much time do you spend gardening.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #728
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Dill also freezes well. It won't be pretty thawed, but will still taste fresh..
That's fantastic, I need to try it! I had a continuous supply (it self seeds) but then I moved - and I can't seem to get it to grow here. Also having trouble with borage and coriander... and for self seeders it's strange, just doesn't want it to catch on here. I think my green thumb shriveled up along with my age.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #729
Head Chef

I spent much of the gorgeous day cleaning up what was left of all the vines out there, and harvested what little was left out there. I even found two very small watermelons (which I doubt are any good), buried in the butternut vines, and a cucumber, under some leaves. A few, mostly green cherry tomatoes, a few beans, and some more weed dill.
The absolute end of the harvests, mostly green tomatoes, some beans (mostly for saving seeds), some more weed dill plants, and 2 tiny watermelons, probably not really good. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

But, I also planted some onion sets in my raised bed, for more scallions down the road. I have 16 uncovered scallions, where the beans were growing, and more under cover, in the raised bed.
Greens, in raised beds, 11-3 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Shogoin in front left, Grand Rapids lettuce in front right, 11-3 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 11-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #730
Head Chef

I trimmed a bunch of that sage and rosemary today, to share with friends for the upcoming Thanksgiving (or whatever they want it for). The sage was huge, and was growing into the walkways, but the rosemary was just from the potted plant, to make it smaller, to take onto the back porch. There is an 8 qt bowl overflowing with sage, and about 5 qts of rosemary. I still smell the rosemary!
Trimmed sage and rosemary, to share with friends. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Trimmed rosemary plant. 11-6 by pepperhead212, on Flickr.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #731
Sous Chef

Today's harvest will be 72 acres of field corn. By this time next year all this corn will be in people's fuel tanks. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191116_091038.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	37368
Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #732
Assistant Cook

The garden is all done for the year, got snow here last week, but I moved my Paraguayan pepper plants into the garage before this, and just harvested a few peppers from them. There are still a couple dozen more on the plants, which I'm hoping will still ripen up.
Garage is around 10 degrees C and I have a grow light on them overnights. So far they still look ok. I'm really hoping they survive the winter so I get a long season next year. These ones took from March (seed) to now to produce, they are used to a much hotter and sunnier climate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191119_160051.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	37400  

GreenEnvy22 is offline   Reply With Quote