"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 01:54 AM   #481
Executive Chef

My hydroponics is only a 20 gallon fish tank, with about 13 pods on top. Not using too much electric ( can't say the same about my AC with all the 90 + weather we've been getting lately. I would love a huge system. Let year at the flower show, they had someone from a university give a lecture about the system they had at their lab, I got his card and was supposed to arrange a private tour of their facility, but never got around to doing it. Then, recently, at the 4th of July festival in Philly, another university had a portable aquaponic lab ( in a trailer) and were educating the public on it. got his card too to arrange a private tour of their main facility. Maybe I ll keep that as a winter thing to do.

Nice variety of shapes, sizes and colors, Pep.
My Cukes have kicked in, I'm up to 5 quarts of pickles, cucumber salad or other cuke products.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #482
Sous Chef

My hydroponics consists of 12 gal and a 28 gal tubs, which I cut lids for from scrap plexiglass, and spray painted white. This last year I tried a floating lid, made of Styrofoam, but I'm not sure if that worked as well. I have an old powerhead in each one with a sponge filter, and a single airstone, and the plants grow faster than outside! I also made a cloner of a bucket, with holes drilled in the lid for the small baskets, and most cuttings root within a week.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #483
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
My hydroponics consists of 12 gal and a 28 gal tubs, which I cut lids for from scrap plexiglass, and spray painted white. This last year I tried a floating lid, made of Styrofoam, but I'm not sure if that worked as well. I have an old powerhead in each one with a sponge filter, and a single airstone, and the plants grow faster than outside! I also made a cloner of a bucket, with holes drilled in the lid for the small baskets, and most cuttings root within a week.
I took the easy route.
I got mine prefab in amazon, basically fits over a 20 gallon fish tank.
Works well, but only produces so much.

Have been picking some new nbabu potatoes the last few weeks.
I have several potato beds that go to the end of the season, but I always buy too many seed potatoes , along with the ones in the kitchen that are sprouting or the ones from last year that have almost met their end. I usually take the extras and plant a few potatoes one each large pot ( about 5 gallons) and then I dump a pot each week or so as I need them until I get to harvest the big ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2063.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	35530  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #484
Executive Chef

Nice potatoes! Our potatoes, kennebecs, are in the regular (not raised) garden in rows, they are nice size bushes right now, no flowers yet.

Two kinds of garlic, and one is ready to come out today. Russian Red is coming out today. Music is still all green, so it's not ready.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #485
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post

Two kinds of garlic, and one is ready to come out today. Russian Red is coming out today.
Can you post a picture of what the Russian Red garlic look like? I'm interested in seeing what the stalk and leaves look like.

I agree that Larry's potatoes look great. I'll see if I can post a picture of mine from last year. I'm growing 6 different kinds this year.

How are people dealing with the Colorado potato beetle grubs? Have you found eggs on the underside of the leaves and crushed them?

I've been picking the grubs and putting them in a container with water. The infestation hasn't been too bad.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #486
Executive Chef

I don't have recent pictures from today, but this is russian red.

This is a hardneck.
We pulled off two tops while harvesting and dug them out, then one root dislodged from one bulb, and we used it in the kitchen, for a salad.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #487
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
then one root dislodged from one bulb, and we used it in the kitchen, for a salad.
Thanks for the pics. I don't think I have ever seen a case where the roots came off a bulb. Why do you think that happened? Was the garlic past its harvest time so that it started separating?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #488
Cook

Here are some pictures of the alliums in my garden.

At my house, I have two 4x10 beds dedicated to mostly garlic. Probably 10 bulbs of each varieties and ~16 varieties altogether.

This is the second bed. You can see in the foreground that I have shallots (gray & yellow) and potato onions.

Onions (yellow, red, and white) started from sets. I like to grow them from seeds but I got a late start this year so my seedlings weren't as developed as I would have liked.

At the community garden, there's a shared area where we grow stuff for everyone to partake in. Last year, it was pumpkins & butternut squash. This year, I planted garlic and onions. Some of the onions that I started from seeds are here. I usually like to plant my onions in clumps of 4.

Lastly, this is a picture of my personal plot at the community garden.You can see the shallots/potato onions in the foreground and then two groups of garlic. Not sure why it happened but I had more yellow tips on my garlic in the community gardens versus my house. To the far right, you can see some of my potatoes growing in "raised beds". Between the alliums & potatoes, I have some golden raspberry bushes that I plated this year.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #489
Executive Chef

bbq-I'm not sure. We've never had it happen before but the ground was really dry and hard, and it ripped off, exposing the garlic with no root portion to each clove. It could be over ripe or just a fluke too. It was just one. Everything else looks good on the harvested garlic--nothing is bursting out of the wrapper, which happens when it is over ripe.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #490
Executive Chef

This is what my counter will look like for the next 3 months ( in another few weeks there will be there addition of tomatoes)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2086.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	35551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2087.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	35552