Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harvested the first linear foot of my raised potato garden bed. Yukon golds, so far so good. I wasn't planning on harvesting them for a few weeks, just wanted to make sure everything was healthy under the ground. What I love about potatoes,garlc, peanuts and other underground crops is the thrill of not knowing what you're going to get until you harvest. That being said, sometimes its an unpleasant surprise ( rot, animals or insects eating ...). Usually, I get too many seed potatoes, so with the extras, I plant them in 5 gallon + pots. This year I had 16 pots of potatoes ( plus the 2 raised beds). When ready ( usually mid July), I dump a bucket a week of potatoes to eat. By the time Im done with them, then I harvest the raised beds.

Letting some of the slightly unripe tomatoes ripen to their full potential. Not sure if the cat makes a difference, as Lon as she doesn't eat them :)

So I went to the Keene Garlic site. Looks like they have quite a selection. I was reading some info and they mentioned that they do a sterilization / Fertilizer soak prior to planting. Just wondering if any of you guys do this. I never had and have always had good luck with garlic ( except for the over watering issue this year which I think I corrected).

Attachments

• IMG_6184.jpg
    IMG_6184.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6176.jpg
    IMG_6176.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 87
Larry, you are lucky that Lon doesn't eat tomatoes. Most of the cats that have lived with me did. Well, they would nibble a small bite of every tomato they found or just sink their teeth in a few places on each tomato. :ermm:

Cute kitty, Larry! [emoji16]

Today's harvest. Tomatoes have been disappointing that year, but the peppers are out of control [emoji1787] 20200828_145225.jpg

Nice peppers, GG! Sorry to hear that the tomatoes didn't do well this season.

Larry,

I do the sterilizing of the cloves with isopropyl alcohol; I haven't done the fertilizer soak, but plan on doing that this season.

Yup, Jon I like your co-worker too.

Lucky you, here we are not allowed to let our co-workers drive the machinery (or cars for that matter) as they have a tendency to veer off the road after rabbits/squirrels etc.

... which can cause havoc with those big machines!

I have very little area to plant things, but i found a place to grow a couple of tomato plants. I put in 2 Celebrity plants, and 2 Bobcat plants.

I went to pick one of the Bobcat tomatoes, and it blew me away! It was perfectly shaped and weighed 17 ounces.

Attachments

• tomato.jpg
    tomato.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 59
This season and last season I got mine from keeneorganics.com since they had all that I wanted, and some of the lower shipping. I've gotten it before sometimes from groworganic.com, but they were out of Metechi, or maybe didn't have it in stock yet, since I ordered early, so I went to Keene.

Pep, what do you like about the Metechi Garlic?

I usually grow German White, Montana and Music.
Last year I went to the Hudson Valley garlic Festival, and picked another variety, but I got sloppy with my garlic markers, and have no idea what was what.

Delicate Squash

"Delicata". Spell check being a pain in the Butt!!

Haven't harvested it yet, but im looking forward to it.
First time I've grown them.
I have bought them in the grocery store several times, never knew what to do with them, so they wound up rotting before I could try cooking them.
I figured , if I grow it, ii will never let it go to waste.

Has anyone tried them?
Best way to cook them?
Any description of their taste or what they can be compared too ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 6.24.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 6.24.32 PM.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Gorgeous tomato, Souschef! How did those Bobcat tomatoes produce, and how they taste?

I'm still getting a generous number of Big Beef, and a few Amish Gold Slicers, plus a new one for me this year - Mountaineer Pride. I tried this one because it is supposed to be late blight and septoria leaf spot resistant , and it definitely seems to be - it is the only variety that didn't seem to come down with some fungal disease, once the excessive rain and humidity started up. The flavor isn't quite as good as Big Beef, and some of the others, but the tomatoes are very meaty, and the less juice is probably the reason for the milder flavor. It definitely is more resistant than others to disease. Not much splitting, either - a few shoulder splits, when I'd get those excessive rains, but that's all. 4-6 oz fruits.
Thai long red beans, and mostly Big Beef and Mountaineer Pride tomatoes. 8-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'm getting some small tomatoes, but the output is decreasing some now.
2 qts of cherry, grape, and tiger tomatoes. 8-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A new Indian pepper is starting to ripen - Byadagi, which is relatively mild, and is the second most used pepper in India (Kashmiri #1, which is even more mild). I had to order seeds for it - the peppers were probably irradiated, and seeds were not viable. I loved the flavor of the pepper for using in Thai curry paste - even better than a mild Numex, or Anaheim, which has been my favorite for years. This plant isn't producing that much; I might try it again, but if it still doesn't work out, I'll just buy the peppers .
Byadagi, beginning to ripen. 8-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Both cuke clones are producing, in the SIP, and the raised bed.
County Fair clone in raised bed, starting to produce. 8-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Souschef, that is one big, beautiful tomato. What are you going to do with it?
Sliced, it perfectly covered a round bolillo hamburger bun.
I only have 2 plants, and I average a tomato a week, which is just enough for the 2 of us.

Last edited:
Bad decision

Last day of August and my tomatoes and eggplants are having a hard time ripening. Weather is like late September for the last week or so.

I made a horrid mistake where I placed my raised beds. When I first moved here the area had much smaller trees. I never really noticed their growth and mistakenly assumed that part of the yard still got as much sunlight as before.

I'll have to take a tree down. :( Only good part of that is a large portion of that tree is over a shed for which I have concern. Every storm now I check the tree to make sure it hasn't split near the base.

"Delicata". Spell check being a pain in the Butt!!

Haven't harvested it yet, but im looking forward to it...Has anyone tried them?
Best way to cook them?
Any description of their taste or what they can be compared too ?

I was flipping through an Alison Roman cookbook and ran across this recipe. Thought you might be interested in it.

https://www.health.com/recipes/caramelized-winter-squash-with-toasted-coconut-gremolata

I have everything but the squash and the cilantro. I will never have cilantro because *yuck*, but I have had delicato squash. The skin is tender, so no need to peel.

I was flipping through an Alison Roman cookbook and ran across this recipe. Thought you might be interested in it.

https://www.health.com/recipes/caramelized-winter-squash-with-toasted-coconut-gremolata

I have everything but the squash and the cilantro. I will never have cilantro because *yuck*, but I have had delicato squash. The skin is tender, so no need to peel.

Thanks! Ill definitely give it a go. I made have to make with and without the cilantro, as my wife feels the same way about it as you do ;)

I like the delicata roasted with olive oil, serve with S&P and parm...yummy! It would also be nice with a rice pilaf, stuffed and roasted.

It is to delicate a taste to smother it with sugar and cinnamon.

Nothing better than getting some veggies from the garden that you didnt plan on getting. All these potatoes were harvested as a result of either leaving a few behind ( By accident) in past veggie beds when harvesting. Or, some of the smaller potatoes winding up in the compost pile, then being spread out in an unintended way in other beds. Either way, I got about 5 lbs extra this year than I expected do to my carelessness. So far, these are some of the larger potatoes ive dug up the year ( hard to gauge size by the pics, but the larger ones are at least as big as a baseball).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 9.42.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 9.42.01 PM.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom