Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I meant to bring my beans in to work today to give away, butt I realized I forgot them about 10 miles out, so ill have to find something to do with them, and bring the next harvest in to work ( which will be in a few days).

I meant to bring my beans in to work today to give away, butt I realized I forgot them about 10 miles out, so ill have to find something to do with them, and bring the next harvest in to work ( which will be in a few days).

We're eating green beans.....so many and we are done canning them.

This goes well on beans and brown basmati rice.

Soy and honey stir fry sauce

2 T and 2 t chopped fresh garlic
2 T and 2 t chopped fresh ginger
3 T corn starch
1 T 1 t mustard powder
1/2 cup of chili sauce (I use ketchup)
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup of AC vinegar
1 and 1/2 cup honey
1 and 1/2 cup soy sauce
Bring to a boil to thicken slightly. Then I put it in bottles and label, one for the fridge and the rest for the freezer.

Drizzle on any veg, green beans, or stir fry.

Tomatoes are starting. Tomatillos as well. 20200905_191338.jpg

This is today's tomato harvest, should work up to about 3 quarts of sauce, to freeze until I get enough for a canner load. I will get one last harvest of tomatoes on Tuesday morning before the freeze.

Attachments

• IMG_2664 harvest.jpg
    IMG_2664 harvest.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 123
Beth, do they give estimates as to how long the temp will actually be below freezing?

If it is only going to be below for about an hour, maybe two, could you not protect some of your favourites by throwing a plastic tarp or blanket over them?

Something farmers sometimes do to stop frost is set up sprinklers, to wet the plants constantly. Hopefully, the freeze will be brief!

I got 4 more shelves of peppers, and 3 of eggplants in the dehydrator last night. I already have enough of both of those in the freezer, though most of the aji varieties have only just started to ripen. If any of those are keepers, I'll have to start them way earlier, in future years.

Pepper head, I've heard that too. The water coming out of my well is 40 degrees, so 8 degrees warmer than the air. Makes sense.

Beth, do they give estimates as to how long the temp will actually be below freezing?

If it is only going to be below for about an hour, maybe two, could you not protect some of your favourites by throwing a plastic tarp or blanket over them?

It generally is around 6 hours of freezing temperatures. One prediction had dropped t he low to 23*F but is now saying 26*F. I have used bed clothes for decades to extend the garden harvest. Plastic does not work, but blankets do.

Something farmers sometimes do to stop frost is set up sprinklers, to wet the plants constantly. Hopefully, the freeze will be brief!

I got 4 more shelves of peppers, and 3 of eggplants in the dehydrator last night. I already have enough of both of those in the freezer, though most of the aji varieties have only just started to ripen. If any of those are keepers, I'll have to start them way earlier, in future years.

I've done that and it works, if it is only a few degrees below freezing. A spay bottle of water an hour before dawn is all that's needed in a garden.

I pulled my cucumbers out. They did very little this year and the vines were starting to wither away. Where they grew, I put in a small patch of fall bush beans. The tomatoes are also not doing much, but I get a few every few days. Cherry tomatoes mostly. Okra, on the other hand, continue to boom. My plants are over eight feet and continuing to climb! Eggplants look good too. Peppers are doing remarkably well this year. Made some poppers to cook along side of ribs tonight.

Today I put another tray of peppers in the dehydrator - adding to the 3 yesterday, plus the 3 eggplant trays from yesterday. I harvested a bunch more beans, and, while weeding the area around the beans, I found a volunteer sugar snap pea, with a couple of pods started! I planted some radish seeds in the raised bed, after weeding it, and I was going to pull the dill, which was pretty much gone, but there were 6 black swallowtail caterpillars on them, so I left them there, until the caterpillars are gone.
One of 6 swallowtail caterpillars on the dill, 9-6 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Longest of the 6 swallowtail caterpillars, 9-6. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Another of the 6 swallowtail caterpillar, 9-6 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I harvested my first winter squash today - that yuxi squash, which didn't pan out, as Baker Creek said it would, being useful as a summer squash type, as it was very hard when very small. The others, on the ground, are much larger than this early one, which is just over 4 lbs. No signs of disease at all, and I got a lot of blossoms for the tacos last night, and a couple more days.
First and smallest yuxi squash, 9-6, about 65 oz. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Harvested and canned. I got 11 pints and one quart of pizza sauce. This will be the only batch of pizza sauce this year. It takes about 50 pounds of tomatoes to get this.

Attachments

• IMG_2673 sauce.jpg
    IMG_2673 sauce.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 113
Yesterday and today were mostly cleanup - 4 cans of garden trash out for the lawn trash guys, once they got here today, and another ready for them next week! The pole beans have started producing, however, since it is cooler. I must have gotten a stray seed for those yellow beans - I can't remember the last time I grew any wax beans, and these were in a new raised bed, so no volunteer plants. The Thai Red Long beans have been producing through the hot weather, which doesn't seem to bother them.
Smaller beans starting to produce a lot, now that the heat is not bad. Long beans did not mind the heat. 9-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Neon and Ichiban eggplants still producing well. 9-13 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tomatoes still producing a few; same with peppers, though I already have enough dried and frozen to last through next year!

Yesterday and today were mostly cleanup - 4 cans of garden trash out for the lawn trash guys, once they got here today, and another ready for them next week! The pole beans have started producing, however, since it is cooler. I must have gotten a stray seed for those yellow beans - I can't remember the last time I grew any wax beans, and these were in a new raised bed, so no volunteer plants.
Heh. There's always the possibility that it came from bird droppings [emoji38]

We're eating green beans.....so many and we are done canning them.

This goes well on beans and brown basmati rice.

Soy and honey stir fry sauce

2 T and 2 t chopped fresh garlic
2 T and 2 t chopped fresh ginger
3 T corn starch
1 T 1 t mustard powder
1/2 cup of chili sauce (I use ketchup)
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup of AC vinegar
1 and 1/2 cup honey
1 and 1/2 cup soy sauce
Bring to a boil to thicken slightly. Then I put it in bottles and label, one for the fridge and the rest for the freezer.

Drizzle on any veg, green beans, or stir fry.

Thanks! I have a lot of green beans!

Back
Top Bottom