"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #601
Senior Cook

Great pictures that were posted. Got back from vacation so I spent time in the garden getting caught up with weeding, harvesting. I have not harvested many peppers this year yet, even from my overwintered ones. But I noticed my overwintered plants are huge with lots of flowers and little peppers.

I pulled most of my garlic before I left but there were a few varieties that still had a lot of green leaves that I left alone thinking they would not do much in a week. I was wrong. It seems that the leaves died quickly and many of them were left in too long such that they did not have a protective outer wrapper. Oh well, will have to use those up first.

I left most of my scapes on my garlic this year and I can conclusively report that it does make a difference in bulb size. Bulbs with scapes were 25-40% smaller than ones with the scapes removed.

I also noticed that I have some baby asparagus growing in one spot from a bird. Very cool! Will try to post some pictures soon.

bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #602
Assistant Cook

Harvested my first couple dozen Jalapeno's yesterday and stuffed them with cheese/bacon, made a nice appetizer for a party. Have a bunch of Thai peppers ripe too.

Getting excited for hot-sauce making season.

I think this week we may have enough tomatoes to also do a batch of salsa.

GreenEnvy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #603
Sous Chef

More peppers - it's definitely pepper season! Before I harvested these today, I had 7 trays of peppers in my dehydrator, out of 9 available trays. I might need my old dehydrator again!
Thai Vesuvius 8-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Aji Dulce and Chocolate Habanero 8-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's a photo showing some of the many chocolate habanero peppers, which are now ripening quickly.
A view of the chocolate hab plant, showing the incredible number of peppers on the plant. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A few more things I got today:
Bitter melon, plus a few tomatoes and tomatillos, 8-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The komatsuna finally bolted, later than ever!
Komatsuna, Summer Fest, finally bolting, on 8-14. Latest ever in my garden. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The senposai was attacked by cabbage butterfly caterpillars, with severe damage to the central leaves. I pulled off a few caterpillars, and thought about treating with Bt, but why bother? It's going to bold soon, as well. So tomorrow I'll harvest all of my greens, and do something with them. And then clean up that row for the next garlic crop.
Senposai leaves destroyed overnight, by cabbage butterfly caterpillars. 8-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 08-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #604
Executive Chef

The cabbage caterpillar gets me every year to the point where I rarely grow anything in the cabbage family anymore.

Ripped up my Kirby vines. Starting to turn yellow, a little mildewy and the kirbies were sub par.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #605
Sous Chef

The cabbage butterfly hasn't really gotten me in the past, because I never had any brassicas growing at this time, and I always covered the crops early on, due to rabbits, and again with the fall crops.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #606
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
The cabbage caterpillar gets me every year to the point where I rarely grow anything in the cabbage family anymore.
I have trouble with them at my house but not at the community garden. Not sure why. Maybe there are more wasps/insects flying around in the community garden? I did see a squished green cabbage caterpillar on some plant and some sort of wasp dancing around it. Seems that the wasp is attracted to them from what I can tell.

A friend of mine in Rindge, NH has a bunch of monarch caterpillars on their milkweed plants. Will have to keep an eye open for them in my gardens. Hope to see them this Saturday.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #607
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
I have trouble with them at my house but not at the community garden. Not sure why. Maybe there are more wasps/insects flying around in the community garden? I did see a squished green cabbage caterpillar on some plant and some sort of wasp dancing around it. Seems that the wasp is attracted to them from what I can tell.

A friend of mine in Rindge, NH has a bunch of monarch caterpillars on their milkweed plants. Will have to keep an eye open for them in my gardens. Hope to see them this Saturday.
I got black swallowtail caterpillars destroying my dill and parsley, but I think they're cool and I kinda plant enough scattered throughout the garden, so I always have a stash I can get to.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #608
Sous Chef

I always plant a bunch of dill, just so the black swallowtails have their food, but unfortunately, this year it bolted very early - I think the early heat waves did them in. Same variety as last two years (dukat), and the one that went crazy in my hydroponics. Too bad they don't like basil!
One variety of butterfly I did see on my basil flowers, when I went out there to trim off all that overgrowth, and blossoms. I left the blossoms on the one that I didn't really use this year - Everleaf, which was supposed to go longer than others w/o bolting, but it turned out to be the first! The pollinators get their fill on those.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #609
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I got black swallowtail caterpillars destroying my dill and parsley, but I think they're cool and I kinda plant enough scattered throughout the garden, so I always have a stash I can get to.
That's neat! I had 7 black swallowtail caterpillars in my parsley 2 years ago. They didn't eat much unlike the cabbage loopers eating my brassicas. But a week later, they were nowhere to be found...
Old 08-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #610
Executive Chef

Got my cute little curry tree in the mail today !!

Gotta prune this one properly, right off the bat so it doesn't wind up like my other leggy one.

This baby one has just about as many leaves as my 10 year old tree has on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2832.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	36250