Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I needed some tomatoes the other day and went to the corner store. Unfortunately for me they cater to the Spanish population here. Surprisingly, they have a nice produce section, but no tomatoes. Just tomatillos. Not what I was looking for. Will have to go to 7-11. As much as I hate to. :angel:

Hispanic people like tomatoes, too, Addie. Maybe they were just sold out. The tomatillo is a relative and they both come from central and South America.

Your 7-11 has fresh tomatoes? Wow. I've never seen that here.

Last edited:
Hispanic people like tomatoes, too, Addie. Maybe they were just sold out. The tomatillo is a relative and they both come from central and South America.

Your 7-11 has fresh tomatoes? Wow. I've never seen that here.

Mine has a salad bar, small as it is. They also carry a small amount of produce whole that will eventually end up in the salad bar.

Nope, the store told me that they don't carry tomatoes. Only the tomatillos. If I am going to buy some can goods, I go almost immediately to the Goya aisle. My supermarket has two aisles dedicated to their products. Very high quality. If they don't have what I want, then I go to house brand. :angel:

Thank you for doing that as I have never bought any so didn't know what to expect. My sister had gotten plants at work as an incentive, but like she says, she does not have a green thumb like I do.

All plants I have ever given her have died no matter what she does. Me, I can take a dying plant and bring it back, not bragging, just true. I did it with two tomato plants that daughter had. She brought them over and with a little TLC not only came back, produced a few tomatoes.

You're welcome. Since I had cut it, I decided to go ahead and eat it :) I sprinkled it with salt and Tajin seasoning (turns out I bought the low-salt version). Yummy! ?

So you can eat them raw, like a tomato? Is it the same texture? I really know nothing about them. What else can I make out of them? There must over over a hundred of them and will probably all ripen at the same time. I want to be ready.

So you can eat them raw, like a tomato? Is it the same texture? I really know nothing about them. What else can I make out of them? There must over over a hundred of them and will probably all ripen at the same time. I want to be ready.

I would cook them down, after chopping, adding in onion, cilantro and either green chilies or jalapenos (depends on your preferred heat level) to a nice sauce and freeze on one cup servings. Makes a nice Salsa Verde for multiple uses. Pork Chili, enchilada sauce, white bean and chicken chili...over eggs:pig:

Yes, you can eat them raw. The texture is crunchy when they're raw, like green tomatoes; they get really soft and release their moisture when they're cooked, so I wouldn't use them like fried green tomatoes.

I'm going to make a grilled corn salad for my master gardener group's picnic meeting on Tuesday and I'm planning on putting some chopped raw tomatillos in it.

I shared several recipes above that I use them in. We really like posole in the winter. I'm going to freeze some tomatillos whole and when they thaw, I can just buzz them up in the food processor and add them to the stew. They just need to be washed and dried before freezing.

How many plants do you have? I have at least a hundred tomatillos as well, I'd guess, on four plants. They don't all ripen at once. I might get 10 or so per day. They keep well in the fridge for a week so you can save them up to process in a larger batch if you want.

Last edited:
One plant. So I went out to water and counted 27 on one stem. There are at least 10 stems from what I can see. The plant is going wild! I'm telling you coffee grounds, eggshells and organic fertilizer, just a little, and a lot of water.

celery, harvested from our hoop house, destined for the chicken and noodle soup.

Attachments

• DSCN4130.jpg
    DSCN4130.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN4132.jpg
    DSCN4132.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 192
There is parsley, carrots, onions from sets and seed, spinach, lettuce, swiss chard, one chile plant, and the celerys are the tallest plants visible. And I also forget a couple when folks ask me, whatcha growing? This will the second winter for this hoop house. Last year the swiss chard did the best of all the stuff I grew.

so glad I got these knarly looking things out a few hours ago

before this happened

The carrots are in a raised bed that has had 3 packing blankets on top.

Attachments

• DSCN4134.jpg
    DSCN4134.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCN4138.jpg
    DSCN4138.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 190
so glad I got these knarly looking things out a few hours ago

before this happened

The carrots are in a raised bed that has had 3 packing blankets on top.

That looks like a nightmare happened in the middle of the night. The attack of the monster carrots! Do I see a movie script in the future? We had the attack of the tomatoes, children of the corn, why not the carrots?

How would you go about peeling them? :angel:

We have very little growing space, a 2 foot wide strip next to our driveway where we have chives, parsley and thyme growing.
However, I have a small space for tomato plants. I have one plant I put in in late February. It is now 7 feet high and 4 feet around, and full of tomatoes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom