Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I have not cooked greens much. I am not overly fond of spinach. I hate dandelion greens and the beet greens were edible, but not something I'm in a hurry to do again. These aren't bitter, are they?
No, they're not, which is why I like them ;) I'm not fond of bitter greens, either. These don't seem to have a lot of flavor to me, but they have a lot of vitamins, minerals and fiber. And the rainbow variety is pretty, so it makes me happy to see it in the garden and in the kitchen [emoji2]

No, they're not, which is why I like them ;) I'm not fond of bitter greens, either. These don't seem to have a lot of flavor to me, but they have a lot of vitamins, minerals and fiber. And the rainbow variety is pretty, so it makes me happy to see it in the garden and in the kitchen [emoji2]

Sounds good.

I usually make " Spinach pie" with the chard. I like it cause it doesn't grow as close to the ground as spinach, so much easier to clean after harvesting. I also prefer to grow the flatter leaf variety, cause I find the ones with more folds house many different kinds of insects.

Be glad that you aren't in southern South Dakota, dragon. There is a 1-3 foot blizzard forecast there!

Anyone here in that area?
I am south and west of there and expecting 12" of heavy wet snow. Blizzard begins about noon. Another weekend wasted, never going to get the yard or garden cleaned up at this rate.

I just ate the last of my indoor lettuce last night, along with some mizuna, which was beginning to flower, since I hadn't cut it recently. All of these things were started at the very end of October, coming up the first week of November, and producing by the first week of December, so I got a lot from just those two leaf lettuce plants! The greens and the herbs grow faster than I can use them in the hydroponics. I just planted the outside lettuce plants two days earlier - the same day I planted the rest of my greens, and planted some seeds indoors, to succession plant some. It doesn't grow quite as fast out there, those plants out there have almost doubled in size in two days! So I won't be without lettuce for long.

Peas, chard , carrots, beets in the ground about 2 weeks ago.
All just started sprouting.
Onions in and taking root. Also placed sets about 2 weeks ago, setting roots and probably an inch or two bigger than when I planted.
Garlic about 8 inches, looking healthy
Got tomatoes and peppers, started from seeds, inside. Probably another 3 or 4 weeks before they make their way outside.

I just noticed the ' Semi - Wild' ramps emerging from the ground. Ill see how many Ive got then decide how many to pick.

A few years back, I ordered Ramps online. I had never had them before, and was curious. When I got them, the plants were so healthy looking with roots attached . And it was quite a big bundle. I ate half of them, and the others I decided to plant outside in a wooded area of my yard. I figured I had nothing to lose, other than a few bucks. Luckily they took. And now I get at least 50 + a year. Slowly they are spreading.

That sounds good, di reston. I'd appreciate that recipe. I've made chard frittatas before, but I'd like to see another variation.

Have you ever tried a chard frittata? it really is delicious. Would you like the recipe? Let me know!

di reston
That sounds good, di reston. I'd appreciate that recipe. I've made chard frittatas before, but I'd like to see another variation.
I'd like the recipe, too. I've had chard in quiche before (my mom made it) but not a frittata. Sounds good.

Peas, chard , carrots, beets in the ground about 2 weeks ago.
All just started sprouting.
Onions in and taking root. Also placed sets about 2 weeks ago, setting roots and probably an inch or two bigger than when I planted.
Garlic about 8 inches, looking healthy
Got tomatoes and peppers, started from seeds, inside. Probably another 3 or 4 weeks before they make their way outside.

I just noticed the ' Semi - Wild' ramps emerging from the ground. Ill see how many Ive got then decide how many to pick.

A few years back, I ordered Ramps online. I had never had them before, and was curious. When I got them, the plants were so healthy looking with roots attached . And it was quite a big bundle. I ate half of them, and the others I decided to plant outside in a wooded area of my yard. I figured I had nothing to lose, other than a few bucks. Luckily they took. And now I get at least 50 + a year. Slowly they are spreading.
I had pickled ramps as part of an appetizer plate at a Chef's Table dinner a couple of years ago. They were really good. I could send you the recipe if you're interested.

That would be great, Im always open to new recipes. Especially with ingredients Im not too familiar with.
I've been trying to pm this, but for some reason the system won't load the file. Let me know if you try these.
2019-04-13-10-43-45~2.jpg

I am trying to get Management to have the maintenance folks build me a raised farming bed so I can do some gardening. I may have to call HUD. They are the main ones involved with resident requests and problem. We have 20 plots and only the maintenance people plant in it. I just want one or two of those plots so I can garden from my wheelchair.

Last edited:
It rained 6.49" the last two days, so I did little out there, except look! I got out today, when it was much nicer. I harvested a few scapes today, and a bunch of greens. I saw my first tomato with a hint of ripening - the Sunset Falls, which was the earliest planted, and it was the first ripe last season, as well. Not much else to do, until dusk, when I went out to pollinate the first bottle gourd flowers. They're night time openers, and last year there weren't many night pollinators early on. It looks like they were pollinated this time, however, as they were both closed, and it looks like they are growing already. And another is opening tonight, so I went and pollinated it, just in case. Last night, I wasn't going to go out there, due to those mosquitoes in that super humid soup!

These things grow like they are on steroids, so I only planted one early, and today I am soaking seeds to start another plant, so I won't get so many at once, but spread them out.
First bottle gourd flower open - with one other. 6-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Collecting pollen from male bottle gourd flower. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pollinating female bottle gourd flower. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Those flowers look very similar. Is there an easily spotted difference between the male and female flowers? Or, do you have to look for stamens and pistils?

Very cool pepper. I must say I've never thought of Manually pollinating any of our plants.

So far we have harvested most of the radishes, some lettuce, strawberries, rhubarb, and mint.

I see a bunch of cucumber and tomatillo growing. Some tomatoes, zucchini, and peppers forming to.

Squash vines have gone crazy, sprawling out everywhere.
My grapes look to be heavily loaded this year.

Back
Top Bottom