Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only plant two tomatillo plants, on a trellis. That purple one didn't do well at all, so I won't do that again. I did a "Gigante" one year, and got two flushes of fruits - one earlier than the normal kind, and one later - sort of like some of my determinate peppers. But nothing this late!

I just picked the end of my habanero peppers. Still have 4 types out there - Hanoi market, Aleppo, Longhorn, and the cherries (that were supposed to be fresnos), that are still loaded with peppers. It is supposed to get to the very low 40s, or even the 30s Saturday night, so this week they will all be down this week. A few butternuts out there still, and a few beans still, though most of what I left are for saving seeds from; I got a few Blauhilde today that are totally dry, but a lot are still moist. And all of the plants that need to come in will be in soon - I've been bringing that curry tree in to my back porch every night it would be below 50°, but all will be in, since it will be getting to the 30s.
The end of the Aji Dulce peppers 10-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The end of the Red Savinas and a few chocolate habs 10-28. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Harvested the last of the butternuts today - though I doubt that it will freeze, my area is under a freeze warning (not just frost), and I haven't even had a frost yet! I snipped the last of the dill that was out there - I'll have to make something with that. I will also harvest those last 4 types of peppers, and they will be done with. A few beans left too, that I will harvest.
Last of the butternuts, 11-1. Smallest a bit green, but they often ripen, just sitting on the countertop. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished all of the peppers, on first of November! I don't think that they have ever lasted this long, at least in this amount - there have been a few here and there in the past, but nothing like this.
Last of the Hanoi Markets, from just 2 plants 11-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last of the longhorns from 2 plants 11-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last harvested from 2 Aleppo plants, and 1 cherry pepper plant 11-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Bunch of weed dill harvested at the end of the season 11-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The greens are doing great, and sometime this week, the garlic is going in!

Dill also freezes well. It won't be pretty thawed, but will still taste fresh. I have used frozen dill when making gravad laks. Both the salmon and dill were still frozen when put the salt and other stuff on them and stuck it in the fridge to marinate.

I won't have to freeze it, as I have some growing indoors, and soon it will be large enough to harvest. I have some dill butter in the freezer, to use with fish sometimes.

Something that seems unusual to use dill in, when I first learned about it, is Asian food, but it turned out to be delicious! It is used in a lot of Laotion food, in large amounts, sometimes in combination with basil, which also seemed strange, but was delicious.

Dill also freezes well. It won't be pretty thawed, but will still taste fresh..

That's fantastic, I need to try it! I had a continuous supply (it self seeds) but then I moved - and I can't seem to get it to grow here. Also having trouble with borage and coriander... and for self seeders it's strange, just doesn't want it to catch on here. :mad: I think my green thumb shriveled up along with my age. :LOL:

Last edited:
I spent much of the gorgeous day cleaning up what was left of all the vines out there, and harvested what little was left out there. I even found two very small watermelons (which I doubt are any good), buried in the butternut vines, and a cucumber, under some leaves. A few, mostly green cherry tomatoes, a few beans, and some more weed dill.
The absolute end of the harvests, mostly green tomatoes, some beans (mostly for saving seeds), some more weed dill plants, and 2 tiny watermelons, probably not really good. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

But, I also planted some onion sets in my raised bed, for more scallions down the road. I have 16 uncovered scallions, where the beans were growing, and more under cover, in the raised bed.
Greens, in raised beds, 11-3 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Shogoin in front left, Grand Rapids lettuce in front right, 11-3 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I trimmed a bunch of that sage and rosemary today, to share with friends for the upcoming Thanksgiving (or whatever they want it for). The sage was huge, and was growing into the walkways, but the rosemary was just from the potted plant, to make it smaller, to take onto the back porch. There is an 8 qt bowl overflowing with sage, and about 5 qts of rosemary. I still smell the rosemary!
Trimmed sage and rosemary, to share with friends. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Trimmed rosemary plant. 11-6 by pepperhead212, on Flickr.

Today's harvest will be 72 acres of field corn. By this time next year all this corn will be in people's fuel tanks. IMG_20191116_091038.jpg

The garden is all done for the year, got snow here last week, but I moved my Paraguayan pepper plants into the garage before this, and just harvested a few peppers from them. There are still a couple dozen more on the plants, which I'm hoping will still ripen up.
Garage is around 10 degrees C and I have a grow light on them overnights. So far they still look ok. I'm really hoping they survive the winter so I get a long season next year. These ones took from March (seed) to now to produce, they are used to a much hotter and sunnier climate.

Attachments

• 20191119_160051.jpg
    20191119_160051.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 133
This winter (and much of the later fall) has been warm here. Only a couple of mornings in the teens, so the covered greens haven't cooled off much, and even the lettuce hasn't died, which is usually the first. Today, I got about 24 oz of greens out there - mizuna, tatsoi, senposai, and komatsuna...maybe something else, as well!
Greens, harvested on 12-27! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Nice Job!
I also was able to get about a quart of kale yesterday for a soup I was making. Wasn't covered, but due to the light temps , so far, its till harvestable. I have some chard and other greens that seem to be hanging in there ( along with the parsley, sage and rosemary.

I need to find a glass bowl to cover my rosemary plant so it can overwinter successfully. Also got myself a second community garden plot for next year. Hope I’m not overdoing it.

Normally, the only thing I would be harvesting at this time of year would be my indoor plants. However, it was so warm here today (68°) that I took the cover off of my raised bed - I was going to leave it off a couple of days, but it is supposed to get very windy tomorrow, so I put it back. I harvested more than usual, since I usually just lift one section, and snip a few things, and put it back. As usual, those things with the huge leaves are senposai and komatsuna, and I've gotten a lot from those this season - they just grow back! Those light green cored greens (not sure what they are, as they are not tatsoi, the seeds they were supposed to be) are just starting to get some small flower heads, the only ones, so far; I pinched them off, and cut a bunch of lower leaves off. I'll see if they keep growing. And I tried something new with the scallions - instead of pulling them out of the ground, then cutting an inch or so off with the roots, then re-planting it, I just cut them off just below the soil line. I figured that this would save time, as the roots are still intact, and it's basically the same thing I re-plant, which does grow again! All of the scallions out there are from replanted cut-offs.

The kohlrabi was the only thing that didn't grow well. Unfortunately, I was out of my favorite varieties - Kolibri and Grand Duke, which I have now gotten for next season. These were Winner and Korist - two new ones I tried this year, which didn't do as well in the spring, either.
End view of the covered greens 1-10-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Covered greens and scallions 1-10-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Shogoin radish, greens, and scallions - 1-10-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thats great to have such good harvest this time of year, its almost unheard of. Usually, by this time, the only thing im getting is some parsley that Im digging out from under the snow.

But, up here in NY were having the same kinda winter. Which is even fooling Mother Nature.

After reading your post ( Pepper) I went outside to see what I got. Looked in a pot that I was growing the red variety of a spinach - like green ( I forget its name). The plant ultimately went to seed, but I never collected them. I looked at the surface of the soil in the pot, and a number of seeds have germinated ( see pics). I also have a healthy bunch of arugula, some chard, Asian greens and of course, parsley ( which is not in the pics). Also, my potted rosemary plant is loving it. And although it hasn't grown in size in 3 months, I have 2 cabbage plants ( that are protected) looking rather healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_4305.jpg
    IMG_4305.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4307.jpg
    IMG_4307.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4311.jpg
    IMG_4311.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 95
So what happens to the row covers when it snows? Nothing? The snow just slides off?

I ordered my seeds from Fedco today.

Funny thing - it's snowing for the first time this season here! There's about an inch on my car. Nothing on the hoop house, but it probably melted so far, as it was warmer under there, though . It's supposed to turn to rain, to melt any more. I had a hoop house with greens years ago, and it snowed 20", and it totally covered the sides after it slid off the top. About 2 weeks later, I was able to get to them, and all of the plants were alive. The snow probably insulated it some, and it wasn't until much later, in February, that it got cold enough to kill them, though they really just died back, and popped up again, as soon as the temps got back up in the 30s (and warmer under the cover). I'm wondering, however, if the fact that soil that raised bed will get colder faster, will kill them off sooner. Time will tell...

The harvest today was inside, in the hydroponics. When down in the workshop, I saw that the epazote was overgrown again (takes about 4 weeks, and it's up in the lights, and over the plants on the sides again!), and had to be cut back. I might use it once or twice a week, which is nothing, the way this stuff grows. I got a supermarket bag packed with it, and I took it up to the Mexican grocery here in town. The guy loves getting that stuff - he opened the bag and smelled it and said "Oooohhh...ecstasy!" Funny how some love this stuff so much, while others smell it and wonder how you could ever eat it. Of course, there are a lot of foods like that.

I still have those greens out there, but tonight I harvested the last of that mizuna from the hydroponics, only because it is the only thing growing in that setup - the other 4 baskets are empty. So I wanted to clean it up, and plant again, and I planted some of those things I started early, for outside.
Mizuna, before removing from the hydro by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Overflowing 8 qt bowl, with the mizuna from the hydro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

3 lettuces, a bok choy, and 3 red streaked mizuna in the middle, 2-22-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom