"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

I grew them for the first time last year, but I did not produce any fruit. My advice is space the plants far apart. The branches spread out a lot.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I hope they're big containers Our tomatillos were pretty big - about 3 feet tall by about 3 feet wide. Like tomatoes, they need lots of water, and they'll need even more in containers. HTH.
Thanks for the tips!!!

spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
Head Chef

Grow very well here in new york ( long island). I had 3 plants last year which gave me plenty. I started them indoors ( from seed) april 1st , as i do my tomatoes. And I will get them in the ground in mid may. This provides enough time for them to mature and produce.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
oooooohhh love this thread! fresh salse verde, aka green salsa, is my FAV!!!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage™ View Post
Have any of you ever grown tomatillos? I've gotten to where I like salsa verde more than regular salsa on a lot of things. So I was thinking about getting some seeds to grow some. Probably next year since we plan on moving in a couple of months. Any body have any tips?
Hi Sage, I planted yellow, green and purple tomatillos for my first time last year. We have a short season here so I started them early. They grew a good 4 feet tall (so stake or cage them!) and produced LOTS of tomatillos and I canned them for salsa, yum! They were heirloom seeds from Renee's Garden, and I kept seeds to plant for this year. Salsa verde is wonderful! Good luck on yours. ~Bliss
Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I bought 2 tomatillo plants a green and a purple... Cant wait for some awesome salsa... hope I dont manage to kill them with my black thumb
Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I planted a bunch of tomatillo seeds and am growing them indoors. I don't think they are getting enough sun though so they are really tall, do you think they'll make it? I can't put them outside until May is over.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
I planted a bunch of tomatillo seeds and am growing them indoors. I don't think they are getting enough sun though so they are really tall, do you think they'll make it? I can't put them outside until May is over.
I would reccommend giving them lots of arteficial light. A 2 bulb flourescent shop light directly above the plant was reccomended in this presentation I went to the other day. Everything I read says just a windowsill is not enough for sun loving plants. Otherwise they will get leggy and weak.

I started alot from seed this year but the tomatos and tomatillos I bought. So far the tomatos are looking a bit rough but the tomatillos look great
Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Woohoooo!!! Mine have sprouted!!! I didn't think they were going to! But they did!
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Mine look sickly. I wish it would warm up so I could put them outside! You can see very clearly that I don't really know what I'm doing. And is that mold growing in the soil?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0972.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	4112  

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote