Tomato cages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We got 3 different varieties of heirloom tomato plants not quite 2 months ago, along with some cages from 1 of the big box stores. Well those cages weren't doing squat. They'd fall over and legs would bend every time one of the pugs brushed up against them. With the way the plants are growing, I figured there was no way they'd provide support as the plants got bigger. So, I finally remembered that the Pioneer Women recommended the cages from Burpee. Don't remember where I read or heard that but thought I'd check them out. They were a bit expensive, $40 for 3, but I went ahead and ordered them anyway. They came yesterday. Woowza! They are really nice. Heavy, heavy galvanized wire, 8 legs (2 each corner) to go into the ground. Joints tight and firm, well connected. They also have extenders you can add to make them taller if your plants get that big. They look like they will last for years. Best of all, the pugs have been outside several times since Craig installed them yesterday and they don't even budge when hit.

Oops, Craig just read my post and informed me there are only 4 legs. The things I thought were additional legs are just supports for the cage.

I bought some metal fence posts ($3.89) each at Tractor Supply.
I bought some clothesline cable and turnbuckles and now will attach the plant to the wire stretched tight down the row.
I will however continue to use cages for peppers. They are perfect for pepper plants.

I lucked out and found some really tall, sturdy galvanized cages at our local Farm and Fleet. Have used them for many years, and even leave them out all year round.

One of the jobs we had as kids was to go into the garden each morning after feeding the animals and tying up all the different pole veggies that had shot up during the night. Those pole sure were tall. Because when the vines reached the height where we children could no longer reach, it became my father's job. I thought that day would never come. Being the shortest, I always got to tie up on the bottom. But the point where I couldn't reach up 'that' high anymore, then it was my sister's job. She never did it without grumbling and complaining constantly.

Then came picking time. My mother couldn't pick from the bottom of the vines due to the brace on her leg. That became my job. I never minded doing anything for my mother. I guess she learned that to ask my sister just meant a lot of grumbling and whining. Looking back, now I understand why she always called my "Mommy's Pet." :angel:

I made my own from left over concrete reinforcement wire from when I had a slab poured.

No doubt this is the best way to make cages. How big is the diameter and is it galvanized?
And secondly, how do you support a cage made of this material?

I have a friend that makes them 20"s round. He uses steel and they get rusty. I don't want my plants to be laying on a rough rusty surface.
For some reason he thinks its just fine. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I don't think so.

No doubt this is the best way to make cages. How big is the diameter and is it galvanized?
And secondly, how do you support a cage made of this material?

I have a friend that makes them 20"s round. He uses steel and they get rusty. I don't want my plants to be laying on a rough rusty surface.
For some reason he thinks its just fine. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I don't think so.

Why do you think it would be a problem? You won't be eating the rust, right? ;)

I found some great triangular ones. I put 2 together so the cage is 6 feet high. I then put steel fence posts at each corner to hold them.

dang, the pic didn't come through. I don't know what I did wrong. Figured it out...

Attachments

• DSC_0419.jpg
    DSC_0419.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 326
Nice, Sous! :clap: I started mine from tiny seedlings, so they're not quite as far along as yours are. Yours look great! I was curious so just went out and counted the 'maters on my three patio tomato plants. 23 so far ranging in size from itty bitty, to marble sized, to a few nearly golf ball sized. Since they don't get very tall, I just use the steel cored stakes from Home Depot, and anchor them to the stakes with the stretchy green gardening tape.

Liz, what a beautiful and green area you live in! :)

Last edited:
Cheryl,
I got tired of raising them from seedlings. so I go to Home Depot and get 1 Gallon plants. Just picked our first tomato My plants grow to 6 or 7 feet tall, so I need those high cages.

Last edited:
Why do you think it would be a problem? You won't be eating the rust, right? ;)

My concerns are the roughness that the rust would produce.
Run your hand on a piece of rusted metal and see why I prefer galvanized.
I could see the branches that will lay on these rough rusted wire made of steel and getting bruised and possible cut if wind is present.
There is a remarkable difference between a galvanized structure vs a steel structure.
Evidently my friend does not have this issue and my thinking is just that. Thinking.

Oh, I see. We have collected supports made from all kinds of materials over the years. I haven't seen that as a problem. From what I've seen, the stems are more likely to get damaged from the wind bending them down over the cage (or fence) wires, crushing them.

I prefer to use short lengths of wire fence reinforced with stakes at the ends, rather than cages or stakes for tomatoes. The cages do work well for peppers, though, as you said.

Back
Top Bottom