"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Head Chef

Tomato cages

We got 3 different varieties of heirloom tomato plants not quite 2 months ago, along with some cages from 1 of the big box stores. Well those cages weren't doing squat. They'd fall over and legs would bend every time one of the pugs brushed up against them. With the way the plants are growing, I figured there was no way they'd provide support as the plants got bigger. So, I finally remembered that the Pioneer Women recommended the cages from Burpee. Don't remember where I read or heard that but thought I'd check them out. They were a bit expensive, $40 for 3, but I went ahead and ordered them anyway. They came yesterday. Woowza! They are really nice. Heavy, heavy galvanized wire, 8 legs (2 each corner) to go into the ground. Joints tight and firm, well connected. They also have extenders you can add to make them taller if your plants get that big. They look like they will last for years. Best of all, the pugs have been outside several times since Craig installed them yesterday and they don't even budge when hit.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
Head Chef

Oops, Craig just read my post and informed me there are only 4 legs. The things I thought were additional legs are just supports for the cage.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I bought some metal fence posts ($3.89) each at Tractor Supply.
I bought some clothesline cable and turnbuckles and now will attach the plant to the wire stretched tight down the row.
I will however continue to use cages for peppers. They are perfect for pepper plants.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I lucked out and found some really tall, sturdy galvanized cages at our local Farm and Fleet. Have used them for many years, and even leave them out all year round.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

One of the jobs we had as kids was to go into the garden each morning after feeding the animals and tying up all the different pole veggies that had shot up during the night. Those pole sure were tall. Because when the vines reached the height where we children could no longer reach, it became my father's job. I thought that day would never come. Being the shortest, I always got to tie up on the bottom. But the point where I couldn't reach up 'that' high anymore, then it was my sister's job. She never did it without grumbling and complaining constantly.

Then came picking time. My mother couldn't pick from the bottom of the vines due to the brace on her leg. That became my job. I never minded doing anything for my mother. I guess she learned that to ask my sister just meant a lot of grumbling and whining. Looking back, now I understand why she always called my "Mommy's Pet."
Old 04-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Head Chef

And there ARE 8 legs. Always knew I could count.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I made my own from left over concrete reinforcement wire from when I had a slab poured.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I like my eggs and my tomatoes cage free.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I made my own from left over concrete reinforcement wire from when I had a slab poured.
No doubt this is the best way to make cages. How big is the diameter and is it galvanized?
And secondly, how do you support a cage made of this material?

I have a friend that makes them 20"s round. He uses steel and they get rusty. I don't want my plants to be laying on a rough rusty surface.
For some reason he thinks its just fine. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I don't think so.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
No doubt this is the best way to make cages. How big is the diameter and is it galvanized?
And secondly, how do you support a cage made of this material?

I have a friend that makes them 20"s round. He uses steel and they get rusty. I don't want my plants to be laying on a rough rusty surface.
For some reason he thinks its just fine. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I don't think so.
Why do you think it would be a problem? You won't be eating the rust, right?

Tags
tomato