Tomato Planting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Young seedlings only a few weeks old that are spindly & leggy simply aren't getting enough light - either not intense enough or not for long enough periods or both.

Thanks for the advice, I think they may be getting enough light as I have them out the back of my house under my pagola, which is not covered in all the way around, it just has a roof on it ( a colourbond tin roof ), but it is miles high, about 20 foot maybe more, it is as high as my house roof, which is low set. It gets morning sun until about 11am in the morning then it starts getting shady, but it gets full shade in the afternoon, but still has filtered light until it gets dark. My soil I just use a common potting mix and seed raising mixture if growing them from seed myself, so Im not sure, Thanks for the tips, I will change a few things around, to see if it helps.:)

Morning sun just until 11 a.m., then turning into shade & filtered light is definitely not enough light for vegetable seedlings - especially tomatoes.

Whether I'm using my south-facing windowsills or using my artificial lights, all my seedlings get at least 13-14 hours of light per day - & that's a bare minimum. Less than that, & they suffer.

Edited to add: It's IMPORTANT that you not just stick your now spindly seedlings out into the sun. They'll wilt, crisp up, & die rather quickly. Your only hope to save them at this point would be to repot them - deeply - & gradually increase the light.

Last edited:
i am planting some 'huskey' cherry tomatoes today-will advise on new 'technique'-interesting...:cool:
I picked up a couple of Celebrity tomato plants yesterday from the nursery. Celebrities are recommended for this area. The plants are about 8" tall, not including root ball. I put them in the ground this morning.

Then I remembered an article called "Tomato Basics" from my Texas Gardener magazine. The writer said when planting, he laid the plants on their side and turned the ends upward as he covered the root ball and lower stem with soil. He said the plants will form roots all along the buried stem.

Does anyone else plant tomatoes this way? Should I replant?

This year I think I am putting out Pineapple Heirlooms tomatoes. The are the best tasting tomato I have ever eaten.. Beware--they are HUGE. The flavor is a cross between a big red and and yellow...

That reminds me I need to get my seeds....

I can keep them alive. I just cant ever get them started.

Does anyone have any sure fire ways to start seed.?

I always resort to the nursery. From there Im fine :)

I can keep them alive. I just cant ever get them started. Does anyone have any sure fire ways to start seed.?

You might want to invest in an AeroGarden. They have a nice attachment for starting up to 70 seeds with their unit. Totally foolproof, especially since you said you were okay at transplanting. :ermm:

Thanks mcnerd

Just found a link to them online. Think I might try one out. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom