"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Mr. Greenjeans

Tomato question

Last year I had a bumper crop of Romas. I had no time so I froze the lot. I know a brief dip in boiling water will allow me to remove the skins but if I allow them to thaw completely they collapse and they are near impossible to seed.

Do the seeds really have that much of an effect on the flavor of sauce? Can I just skin, chunk and process into sauce?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Personally, I do not mind seeds in my sauce.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Master Chef

While it's certainly a personal preference, I never bother seeding tomatoes for anything (except fresh ones that I'm stuffing). I don't bother seeding the commercial whole canned tomatoes I buy either. In fact, I rather like the seeds in the sauce, & paste tomatoes like Romas don't have as many seeds as the big slicers do anyway.

Also - there's no need to dip frozen tomatoes in boiling water to remove the skins. Just run them under warm tap water while still frozen & the skins will slip off easily in your fingers. I find this one of the benefits of freezing tomatoes whole as is. And frankly, if I'm making a fresh, rustic type of pasta sauce, I frequently don't bother skinning them either. But again - personal preference.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I never bother seeding tomatoes for anything (except fresh ones that I'm stuffing).
I am the same way, but for me I would add one other time I seed them and that is when the added moisture the would be detrimental to the dish. Other than that I leave em in.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Master Chef

see, i would seed them. i find seeds to be unpleastant. i'd halve & squeeze them, then pick the remainder from them after boiling them.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

Why would you boil them after halving & squeezing them, especially if they were frozen?
Old 07-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

i'm talking 'bout tomatoes raw! like prepping for a concasse!KitchenSavvy: Tomato Concassé
Old 07-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i'm talking 'bout tomatoes raw! like prepping for a concasse!KitchenSavvy: Tomato Concassé
though thier score shold be smaller & they should shock them in ice water after boiling. & they should boil 30 seconds, not a minute.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Master Chef

Posted by Luvs:
"see, i would seed them. i find seeds to be unpleastant. i'd halve & squeeze them, then pick the remainder from them after boiling them."

Luvs - I'm sorry but I think you're a little bit confused here.

First off, per the very link you provided for "Tomato Concasse" (which I'm aware of & do prepare once in awhile) the tomatoes are WHOLE when they're scored & DIPPED in boiling water for peeling. They're NOT halved & seeded before the dipping, which is what you said & what I was questioning. If you were to halve & seed the tomatoes before dipping them, the flesh would partially cook & absorb SO much liquid, the tomatoes would literally disintegrate. And the tomatoes are really just "dipped" in the boiling water for 30 seconds to a minute depending on the size & type of the tomato - not actually "boiled".

Also - the original poster was talking about tomatoes - FROZEN tomatoes that is, for sauce, & a concasse of tomato really isn't used for sauce, unless the sauce is really no more than a gourmet garnish or a fresh rustic-type sauce for an appetizer portion of pasta.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Master Chef

why ,for 1, need you argue, & 2, try to teach me what i learned in culinary school? i miswrote a post. get over it.