Tomatoes and more tomatoes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had 6 jars at the ready just in case. I would have over done it if I had the 'maters to over do it with. :)

Oh well, there is still time for those plants to put out more of those sweet 'maters.

Charlie, I read this trick in The Mother Earth News decades ago: to fool your tomatoes into thinking it's time to ripen, take a garden spade and cut into the soil about a foot (maybe a bit closer) away from the stem. They think it's autumn and start to turn red.

This was written up in an article about a guy getting tired of his neighbor always bragging about the first red tomato - and this guy just HAD to beat out his neighbor! Never tried it - our garden was on the south wall of our house. They ALWAYS ripened early!

I tried that last year, closer to real fall. It did not work. I have plenty of time. It is still early for tomatoes here in MN. They will get red soon. Whatever is not going to get red will be pickled. Thank you.

Sorry to hear you have not had any joy from growing your own...I guess it also depends on the climate

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom