"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I roasted a bunch the other day, planning to freeze them, but they made marvelous spaghetti. Today I plan to roast AND freeze another batch! I used fresh rosemary, thyme, garlic, and s&p, drizzled with evoo, and proceded as Claire stated, though I left the seeds in. Added fresh basil to the spaghetti sauce.

Roasting adds such a nice depth of flavor to my otherwise mediocre tomatoes.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
Master Chef

Yeah, believe it or not, you can actually make winter grocery store tomatoes taste better by doing this.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
Head Chef

These are delicious!
ROASTED TOMATOES WITH GARLIC AND GORGONZOLA
Posted at:
Hello 2009: Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic and Gorgonzola Je Mange la Ville
(original recipe at:
Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic, Gorgonzola and Herbs Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network
Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I love tomatoes! My favourite fruit by far. My favourite thing to do with fresh tomatoes from the garden is make a sandwich with thick slices of still sun warmed tomato and some sea salt and cracked black pepper. Making tomato cocktail juice and green tomato jam and chutney etc. Our tomato season is over now, had enough to not have to buy a single tomato for over 3 months and I use them every day.
well snip, if you are about to start buying your tomatoes again, brace yourself. we are at the height of tomato season here in virginia, and i am still paying, on average, $2.50/lb. at farmers markets. but just think what riches your free garden tomatoes provided you--three whole months of delicious fruit at your fingertips....
Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
This was put on another line but don't remember where, so I'll repeat (someone else here at DC does something very similar).

Halve tomatoes. This, believe it or not, works better if you cut across the equator rather than longitudinal. Do a cursory seeding with your thumbs, putting the seeds into a sieve over a bowl to drain. This keeps the resultant sauce from being too watery.

Place on a rimmed baking sheet along with cloves of garlic, slices of onion, a pepper or two. S&P. Bake at about 400 for about an hour. You are not trying to totally dehydrate, just to dry up enough so the resultant sauce will be thick and rich. When they cool, I put through my food mill, but pressed through a China cap or sieve will work.

If you have fresh basil and oregano, add at this time and freeze. If you'd rather use for chili or other Mex dishes, leave out the basil. Dried herbs can go in before roasting.

When you thaw, sometimes there is a little water on top, I just pour it off to keep the sauce thick.

The roasted tomatoes, peppers (I use super cayennes, but go by your own family's taste for heat, bells would be fine if that's what you like), roasted garlic (I don't bother to peel them) -- the sauce is made when you thaw without having to stand over a pot of tomatoes on the burner.

Oh, the liquid that drips off the seeds? I also freeze that and use in soup.
Claire, is this what you are remembering? I always make sure I have plenty of this canned in my pantry. Oh, yummy! I'll be making some in a few days. Can't wait. The house will smell like a trattoria.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
well snip, if you are about to start buying your tomatoes again, brace yourself. we are at the height of tomato season here in virginia, and i am still paying, on average, $2.50/lb. at farmers markets. but just think what riches your free garden tomatoes provided you--three whole months of delicious fruit at your fingertips....
We're lucky, just bought some today for the first time again and they are selling for a reasonable price. About half the price you are paying but remember I'm in Africa! I have loads of tomatoes each season, every time I use some I squeeze a few seeds out of one into the garden. I'll be planting again soon and a few small seedlings have already appeared from some seeds I planted. Not sure which tomatoes they are, it will be a surprise as always
I've also had cayennes, peppadews, rocket, basil and mint since January. They don't seem to stop producing "weird"
Nothing like a kitchen garden :) I love making goodies from everything I planted myself. It's so rewarding!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #27
Head Chef

Here is my everyday tomato recipe--crush a clove of garlic into a paste with a teaspoon of salt--I use a mortar and pestle. Whisk the garlic into a couple tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of vinegar--cider, balsamic, whatever. Cut a couple of tomatoes and cucumbers into bite size pieces. Throw a bell pepper in, if you like them. Pour the dressing over the veggies, and let them sit on the counter while you do the rest of dinner.

Add some cooked pasta, if you want the whole meal deal.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

How about tomato pie for using some of those tomatoes? Bake a 9 in. pi shell for 5 min. Remove from oven and cover bottom of shell with 3 peeled and sliced med tomatoes Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground black pepper and 1/4 cup of snipped chives and crumbled crisp bacon and some torn fresh basil about 1/8 of a cup or more.Combine 1/4 cup mayo and1 cup of your favorite cheese I like swiss but cheddar is good. Carefully spread this mix evenly over the tomatoe slices making sure to seal the edges of the pie crust completely. Bake at 400 for 35 min.
Great with green salad nice cold drinks and hot crusty bread and butter.
kades
Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
How about tomato pie for using some of those tomatoes? Bake a 9 in. pi shell for 5 min. Remove from oven and cover bottom of shell with 3 peeled and sliced med tomatoes Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground black pepper and 1/4 cup of snipped chives and crumbled crisp bacon and some torn fresh basil about 1/8 of a cup or more.Combine 1/4 cup mayo and1 cup of your favorite cheese I like swiss but cheddar is good. Carefully spread this mix evenly over the tomatoe slices making sure to seal the edges of the pie crust completely. Bake at 400 for 35 min.
Great with green salad nice cold drinks and hot crusty bread and butter.
kades
Ha! Funny you said that, Kades! I made one very similar to your recipe last year and it was delicious! (and long gone...)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ha! Funny you said that, Kades! I made one very similar to your recipe last year and it was delicious! (and long gone...)
I'll bet it's long gone I love tomatoes any way shape or form.Will be putting up a recipe soon it's yummy
kades

Tags
tomatoes