Tomatoes and more tomatoes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
his was definitely an eye of the beholder thing. I just thought it looked like someone with a particularly funny nose until someone turned it upside down and really started laughing!

One of my tomato bushes seems to have sprouted some kind of rot. It started after the flood. It is odd that only one bush is affected. I have 3 early girls and one better boy. I wasn't sure if it was a worm or some kind of rot that developed from the flood waters. I have 2 early girls in one part of the garden, then another early girl (the one affected) right next to the better boy, and only that one seems affected. I started just picking them as soon as they started to turn a little from green. One I left on 'til it turned red, and sure enough, it was rotted as well.

TNT: Tomato Cobbler

Just. Yum. I don't know what else to even say about this...

Tomato Cobbler
Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian

8 to 10 medium red and yellow tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
Kernels from a couple of ears of corn
1 cup cheese (I don't use this much, I like to use mozzarella & grated parm)

Put the tomato wedges and corn kernels into an oiled baking dish and toss them with the cornstarch and the salt and pepper.

Put the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda, as well as a teaspoon of salt, in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and give it a few more pulses until it looks like coarse sand. Add the egg, buttermilk and grated cheese until the mixture comes together like a dough ball. Add a bit more flour if it's too wet or a bit more buttermilk if it's too dry. (I do mine by hand ... )

Drop the batter by spoonfuls on top of the tomatoes. Make sure that there are some cracks between the dough so steam escapes from the tomatoes as it cooks.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the cobbler is golden brown and bubbling underneath. This tastes best best at room temperature, so making it in the morning when it's cool to serve later is a great idea.

:chef:Boy that lasagna sounds great!.. I like the old favorite of min, sliced tomato with avocado over fresh mozzarella... Add a tad of finely chopped scallions, chopping into the green. Drizzle with olive oil, vinegar, squeeze of lemon. Season with white pepper, salt, garlic , fresh basil.. I like a tad of oregano. I am a oregano freak... Try it out if you like those ingredient. I will add different items at times . Depends on what's in the fridge. Capers, portabellas, etc.

OK, I have the following, and wish to make a sort of savory tomato tart. Puff pastry in the freezer, lots of tomatoes, some basil, and some fresh onions from the farmers' market. I'm mostly wondering if I should bake the pastry first and then add the slices of tomatoes. I'm afraid that if I put the tomatoes on the pastry and then bake, they'll make the crust soggy. I know you're supposed to pierce the part of the crust to be filled to keep it flat. I was thinking maybe brushing the pastry with olive oil, then a few very thin slices of the onion (a very small, very sweet onion), maybe a sprinkle of parm, then slices of onions after it is baked? No matter what, chiffonade of basil at the end. But would it be better to bake the tomatoes on the pastry? Anyone done something like this?

Claire said:
OK, I have the following, and wish to make a sort of savory tomato tart. Puff pastry in the freezer, lots of tomatoes, some basil, and some fresh onions from the farmers' market. I'm mostly wondering if I should bake the pastry first and then add the slices of tomatoes. I'm afraid that if I put the tomatoes on the pastry and then bake, they'll make the crust soggy. I know you're supposed to pierce the part of the crust to be filled to keep it flat. I was thinking maybe brushing the pastry with olive oil, then a few very thin slices of the onion (a very small, very sweet onion), maybe a sprinkle of parm, then slices of onions after it is baked? No matter what, chiffonade of basil at the end. But would it be better to bake the tomatoes on the pastry? Anyone done something like this?

Check out Kadesma's recipe on page 2 of this post. I made a similar one and it was sooo good!

Claire, if it was me and you are baking the tomato filling, Bake it just like a quiche in a raw pastry. only blind bake if you are doing an unbaked filling.

Why can I never find a site when I want it? I did retrieve this one ... and I don't know if I should put it under tomatoes or peppers. I made my first batch of roasted tomato sauce. I always toss in a pepper when I start roasting, they're usually "super cayennes", which are milder than regular cayennes. But I do experiment with a plant or two a year. Now I have this immensely hot tomato sauce. It is no big deal, I just put it in smaller freezer containers, and will mark it and put no peppers in other batches of tomato sauce, and blend. To all home growers, remember, peppers cross pollinate very easily. The pepper you loved in the spring may bite you on the butt in august!

Why can I never find a site when I want it? I did retrieve this one ... and I don't know if I should put it under tomatoes or peppers. I made my first batch of roasted tomato sauce. I always toss in a pepper when I start roasting, they're usually "super cayennes", which are milder than regular cayennes. But I do experiment with a plant or two a year. Now I have this immensely hot tomato sauce. It is no big deal, I just put it in smaller freezer containers, and will mark it and put no peppers in other batches of tomato sauce, and blend. To all home growers, remember, peppers cross pollinate very easily. The pepper you loved in the spring may bite you on the butt in august!

My Mint plants have cross pollinated and now I have 2 new types of mint :LOL:
I enjoy seeing what happens so I plant my mint and peppers close to each other and see if new varieties come out of it. I have kept some planted far from each other to make sure I keep some of the originals and kept lots of seed :)

My Mint plants have cross pollinated and now I have 2 new types of mint :LOL:
I enjoy seeing what happens so I plant my mint and peppers close to each other and see if new varieties come out of it. I have kept some planted far from each other to make sure I keep some of the originals and kept lots of seed :)

I don't think peppers and mint can pollinate each other. Almost all peppers can cross tho'. You can get some very interesting crosses.

My favorite pepper hybrid is the Tam Datil. Absolutely no heat. Just that perfect Datil pepper taste. Wonderful! The Tam Jalapenos are also great!

I don't think peppers and mint can pollinate each other. Almost all peppers can cross tho'. You can get some very interesting crosses.

My favorite pepper hybrid is the Tam Datil. Absolutely no heat. Just that perfect Datil pepper taste. Wonderful! The Tam Jalapenos are also great!

I didn't mean peppers pollinate mint :LOL:
I plant all my different peppers together and all my different mints together!
Must have come out wrong :(

I didn't mean peppers pollinate mint :LOL:
I plant all my different peppers together and all my different mints together!
Must have come out wrong :(

Prolly just my weird way of hearing things! Now it makes perfect sense to me!

You can hand-pollinate your peppers from other peppers. Just use a tiny little artists paintbrush, wipe it around inside a few flowers of one type of pepper and then go tap it into the flowers of another type of pepper.

At each flower you did this to, a cross of those two will grow. I mark mine with the bread twist-ties so I know which ones to try later.

The seeds from that crossed pepper will hold the traits of both types to different degrees. When planted, you then try the offspring of that generation and pick the ones you most like. Then you can plant them to gain more seeds or cross them again.

It's a blast! :chef::)

Prolly just my weird way of hearing things! Now it makes perfect sense to me!

You can hand-pollinate your peppers from other peppers. Just use a tiny little artists paintbrush, wipe it around inside a few flowers of one type of pepper and then go tap it into the flowers of another type of pepper.

At each flower you did this to, a cross of those two will grow. I mark mine with the bread twist-ties so I know which ones to try later.

The seeds from that crossed pepper will hold the traits of both types to different degrees. When planted, you then try the offspring of that generation and pick the ones you most like. Then you can plant them to gain more seeds or cross them again.

It's a blast! :chef::)

Going out tomorrow morning paintbrush in hand :LOL: I have some teeny tiny colourful bread twists too! Think they might be Caitlin's from her scrapbooking kit.

Going out tomorrow morning paintbrush in hand :LOL: I have some teeny tiny colourful bread twists too! Think they might be Caitlin's from her scrapbooking kit.

Remember, brush the pollen FROM, but TAP it into the new flower. If you brush it into the new flower, it's easy to harm the reproductive parts of the flower. Just gently bend the stem until the flower is upside down and tap the pollen from the brush with your index finger, into the open flower.

It only takes a minute amount of pollen in each flower. You'll love the results!

Remember, brush the pollen FROM, but TAP it into the new flower. If you brush it into the new flower, it's easy to harm the reproductive parts of the flower. Just gently bend the stem until the flower is upside down and tap the pollen from the brush with your index finger, into the open flower.

It only takes a minute amount of pollen in each flower. You'll love the results!

I think I've had this lesson but that might be another thread :LOL:

I'll do that thanks :)

Test tube peppers he we come!

Back
Top Bottom