"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #41
Wine Guy

I recently bought a juicer, so tomatoes aren't sitting around as long as they used to. My new favorite juiced cocktail is a combination of tomato, celery, carrot, and parsley, topped off with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of fresh lime. Tasty stuff!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

what juicer did you buy, steve?

i want to get one ike the guy who owns a local health food store near me. it can juice things like wheatgrass and kale.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #43
Wine Guy

I bought a Breville Juice Fountain Elite. It's the first juicer I've owned so I really can't compare it to anything else. It's pretty easy to clean up, though, and that to me is the difference between an appliance you use and one that collects dust in the closet.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I bought a Breville Juice Fountain Elite. It's the first juicer I've owned so I really can't compare it to anything else. It's pretty easy to clean up, though, and that to me is the difference between an appliance you use and one that collects dust in the closet.
Thanks for letting us know, Steve. Is the one in the pics the one you bought?

I've been wanting to buy one, but haven't for fear that I would buy one that either didn't work well or was very hard to clean.

Your input will help tremendously!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breville_Juice_Fountain_Elite-1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	11680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breville_Juice_Fountain_Elite-2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	11681  

Old 08-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #45
Wine Guy

Yes, that's the one. Everything that comes in contact with food is dishwasher safe. I just give all the immersible pieces a good rinse after use, so nothing dries on, and then throw them in the dishwasher in the evening. The hardest piece to clean is the screen that surrounds the blade. It's a very fine mesh. The brush that comes with it does an ok job of cleaning, but it seems like I still have to scrub it down with a sponge and soapy water. Not a big deal, though.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #46
Executive Chef

I enjoy eating a quart portion of diced tomatoes in an olive oil, minced garlic.balsamic vinegar and torn basil or oregano marinade. I prefer a less watery tomato for such a salad.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Yes, that's the one.
Outstanding Steve! I'd sure appreciate hearing some of your recipes later and how well it works after you've got the "New" worn off.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #48
Head Chef

Justplainbill, I am slurping up the last of a very similar salad. Mine had sliced cukes in it, too. I use my mortar and pestle to crush the garlic with some salt.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Almost forgot about Jamie Oliver's Squashed Cherry Tomato and Olive Bruschetta! It's good!

Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
Rated 5 stars out of 5

What you are just about to do makes complete sense in cooking. Tomatoes need salt, olives are preserved in salt, you've squeezed the juice out of the tomatoes, which in return draws the salt and the smoky flavour out of the olives. This makes the olives very edible and the tomatoes damn tasty. Rip in as much basil as you can afford and even a handful of rocket (arugula) if you have some. Lovely. P.S. If you have any leftovers then toss them in with some hot spaghetti.

Ingredients
2 handfuls cherry tomatoes
1 handful black olives
4 to 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
A drizzle herb vinegar
1 dried chile
A handful fresh basil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 ciabatta or other rustic bread, cut into thick slices
1/2 clove garlic
4 boccacini
Parmesan, for shaving
Directions
This is probably the quickest salad or bruschetta I make, but no less tasty for that. Very few ingredients, simple flavors, complete sense. Try to make use of the wider range of cherry tomatoes available now: yellow, tige, and plum cherry tomatoes for instance. And, as I always say, it's much better, taste-wise, to buy olives with their stones still in than without. Trust me.

Simply squash your tomatoes into a bowl. I always have to put one hand over the tomatoes as I do this as juice and pips go everywhere (generally on me). You can be as rough with the tomatoes as you like, as the salad looks much better rough and rustic than perfect and pretty. Then, gently smash the olives on a board with a hard object, like a cup or a rolling-pin. Remove the stones, throw the olives in with the tomatoes, and toss together. Add a few glugs of oil, the oregano, a drizzle of vinegar, crumbled chile, and rip in the basil. Season, to taste, and that's your salad.

Griddle or toast the slices of bread and rub with the garlic clove, pile on the tomatoes, and rip the mozzarella and lay over the top drizzle with a little bit more oil and finish with shaves of Parmesan.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #50
Executive Chef

i love to see and to take part in this group celebration of our wonderful tomatoes that is taking place right now....

Tags
tomatoes