Tomatoes and more tomatoes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSC

Head Chef
That time of the year & our tomato plants pumping out 8 varieties, so trying to keep on top of it, just did 2 large trays of tomato confit, a few jars worth of tomato chutney and a baked spaghetti, Italian sausage and veggie casserole using fresh tomatoes.
Any suggestions for more ways to use tomatoes would be appreciated.

That time of the year & our tomato plants pumping out 8 varieties, so trying to keep on top of it, just did 2 large trays of tomato confit, a few jars worth of tomato chutney and a baked spaghetti, Italian sausage and veggie casserole using fresh tomatoes.
Any suggestions for more ways to use tomatoes would be appreciated.

looks to me like you are doing just magnificently. i don't have a recipe for you, but my mom made fresh tomato juice for us throughout tomato season. she had no recipe either, just blended tomatoes, strained the mixture, tasting, and dding seasonings the result was indescribably delicious--a frothy reddish coral concoction that still has me smacking my lips thinking about it....:):)

I am so jealous! We just ate our first fresh tomatoe of the season and we won't be having an abundant supply since all of our plants are in containers this year. You might consider trying to make a nice thick catsup from roasted tomatoes. I'm sure you can google a good recipe.

fried red tomatoes: buttermilk, flour, butter, pan (basil or oregano if desired with s and p)

tomato and cheese quesadillas

fresh tomato soup (hot or cold)

Tuna-stuffed tomatoes. We had these for supper a couple of nights ago. Really, really delicious and amazingly filling. I added about 1/4 cup of shredded 4-cheese blend to the mixture. It really showcased the tomatoes and the tuna filling wasn't gloppy mayoniassey, which really went well with the fresh tomatoes.

Tuna-stuffed tomatoes. We had these for supper a couple of nights ago. Really, really delicious and amazingly filling. I added about 1/4 cup of shredded 4-cheese blend to the mixture. It really showcased the tomatoes and the tuna filling wasn't gloppy mayoniassey, which really went well with the fresh tomatoes.

Oh my! Those look delicious! I was going to suggest stuffing them too, we are fans of chicken salad. We also tend to eat quite a few grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches when they are really coming on.

really liking the looks of this recipe--the incorporation of the tomato's pulp and seeds with the tuna--nice, fresh, simple combination of goodies, and NO mayo!:)heading out to buy italian parsley....

two words: worcestershire sauce.

quarter, skin, and seed bigger tomatoes; halve (and skin where possible) smaller ones, and soak in worcestershire sauce from a few hours up to overnight.

if you can wait that long.

really liking the looks of this recipe--the incorporation of the tomato's pulp and seeds with the tuna--nice, fresh, simple combination of goodies, and NO mayo!:)heading out to buy italian parsley....

Yes, they were so refreshing and quite eye-appealing with the bright red chunks of the tomato mixed with the tuna. We had crusty French bread along with dipped in olive oil. Such a simple meal, but incredibly good.

I should have added that we still have a lot of canned tomato sauce and tomato soup from last year's crop, so don't want to add to that.
Ketchup is an interesting idea as there so many types to try and I have recipes to check out.
Love tuna-stuffed tomatoes, the problem is that they don't use up many!
Can't say I've heard of soaking tomatoes in worcestershire sauce and a cursory google didn't enlighten me, so what does it do to the tomatoes?
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

just look how far the lowly tomato has grown in esteem, since the early 1800s when people commonly thought tomatoes to be poisonous! our (virginia born) president, thomas jefferson was the first american president to import and grow tomato plants in america. he is credited with introducing the tomato to a skeptical public--and we thank him for that! :)

I didn't mention that another thing I do, with the smaller tomatoes, is to scrub them well and place them on a tray or cookie sheet and freeze them until they're firm, then put them in a freezer container or zipper-lock bag. They're great to use in soups, stews and chili during the colder months. It's like having fresh tomatoes right at my fingertips.

One of the advantages of this method I've discovered is that as the tomatoes reach room temperature, the skins practically fall off. Almost as though they've been put into a boiling water bath as is traditionally done to loosen the skins.

I love tomatoes! My favourite fruit by far. My favourite thing to do with fresh tomatoes from the garden is make a sandwich with thick slices of still sun warmed tomato and some sea salt and cracked black pepper. Making tomato cocktail juice and green tomato jam and chutney etc. Our tomato season is over now, had enough to not have to buy a single tomato for over 3 months and I use them every day.

I didn't mention that another thing I do, with the smaller tomatoes, is to scrub them well and place them on a tray or cookie sheet and freeze them until they're firm, then put them in a freezer container or zipper-lock bag. They're great to use in soups, stews and chili during the colder months. It's like having fresh tomatoes right at my fingertips.

One of the advantages of this method I've discovered is that as the tomatoes reach room temperature, the skins practically fall off. Almost as though they've been put into a boiling water bath as is traditionally done to loosen the skins.

Same thing happens with red and green peppers. I buy the Costco size and freeze most of it.

This was put on another line but don't remember where, so I'll repeat (someone else here at DC does something very similar).

Halve tomatoes. This, believe it or not, works better if you cut across the equator rather than longitudinal. Do a cursory seeding with your thumbs, putting the seeds into a sieve over a bowl to drain. This keeps the resultant sauce from being too watery.

Place on a rimmed baking sheet along with cloves of garlic, slices of onion, a pepper or two. S&P. Bake at about 400 for about an hour. You are not trying to totally dehydrate, just to dry up enough so the resultant sauce will be thick and rich. When they cool, I put through my food mill, but pressed through a China cap or sieve will work.

If you have fresh basil and oregano, add at this time and freeze. If you'd rather use for chili or other Mex dishes, leave out the basil. Dried herbs can go in before roasting.

When you thaw, sometimes there is a little water on top, I just pour it off to keep the sauce thick.

The roasted tomatoes, peppers (I use super cayennes, but go by your own family's taste for heat, bells would be fine if that's what you like), roasted garlic (I don't bother to peel them) -- the sauce is made when you thaw without having to stand over a pot of tomatoes on the burner.

Oh, the liquid that drips off the seeds? I also freeze that and use in soup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom