"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 10-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hi WiredEek and welcome to discuss cooking. Do you have a "food share" in your area? They'd be happy to get your last harvest. If not, do you have more that one neighbor? You could always make up some bags for them, and do the "ring and run" trick. It's kinda like a backwards pre Halloween "treat and trick".
I live out in the country. I have a neighbor across the street, but all the other houses are a mile away from each other. I have a friend in the cities (200 miles away) who invited me to cook for the homeless. As I had been homeless and living on the streets in another state, this project would be near and dear to my heart. If that friend would call me and tell me where I need to go, all my problems would be solved. Just kidding, nothing ever gets solved around here.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredEek View Post
I live out in the country. I have a neighbor across the street, but all the other houses are a mile away from each other. I have a friend in the cities (200 miles away) who invited me to cook for the homeless. As I had been homeless and living on the streets in another state, this project would be near and dear to my heart. If that friend would call me and tell me where I need to go, all my problems would be solved. Just kidding, nothing ever gets solved around here.
You'll find no greater reward than cooking for the homeless and the needy.
My husband and I have done it for years in our small (30,000) town. Lately it's been harder for us to stand for long hours, so now he helps with administration duties with his computer. Find a way to donate your talents. You will be richly rewarded.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

If you don't have time to deal with all the tomatoes you have before they go bad, you can freeze them whole and process them later.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Head Chef

I cut them up in chunks with garlic and onions and some of them add green peppers, olive oil salt and pepper - put them on sheet pans and roast them in the oven , then add some basil, lil oregano and some put in freezer as is or some put in food processor and then freeze. I use zip lock bags so I can stack them
Old 10-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
Wine Guy

I wish had the problem of too many tomatoes. I planted six vines this year and we use them up as fast as I can pick them.

The tomato has to be the most versatile veggie in the garden. Rarely does a day go by that I don't eat them in some form or another.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Get yourself a food mill, turn the tomatoes into puree and freeze it in 1 gallon zip-lock bags.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredEek View Post
Tomatoes out the ears!
That must be embarrassing when you go out in public.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:55 AM   #18
Head Chef

Italians have an annual event where they take all their excess overly ripe tomatoes and....hehe...
Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

oh, that's disgusting...
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #20
Senior Cook

we can tons of tomatoes for many uses. Boil water, add tomatoes for 1 minute or until the skin breaks. remove and cool. remove the skin, core the white center where the vine was attached, remove seeds and place in a quart fruit jar, add lids and rings and process in a pressure canner at 10 psi for 30 minutes. They will keep for several years before they turn dark.
Here is my recipe for collards:
In a large pot, put in enough water and chicken stock to cook the collards. Its hard to say how much depends on how many collards you go. I have a three gallon pot and I can do 2 plastic grocery bags stuffed as full as I can get them in the pot, with about a gallon or 1 1/2 gallons of water.

I use chicken base instead of bought chicken stock and it works great.
Add 5-6 strips of thick cut bacon
3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
bring to boil and add collards (I remove the thicker stems)
cook until the collards are tender.

I have a side burner on my grill and I do this outside. Helps to keep the smell out of the house.

Tags
tomato, tomatoes