"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Old 10-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #21
Master Chef
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
we can tons of tomatoes for many uses. Boil water, add tomatoes for 1 minute or until the skin breaks. remove and cool. remove the skin, core the white center where the vine was attached, remove seeds and place in a quart fruit jar, add lids and rings and process in a pressure canner at 10 psi for 30 minutes. They will keep for several years before they turn dark.
Here is my recipe for collards:
In a large pot, put in enough water and chicken stock to cook the collards. Its hard to say how much depends on how many collards you go. I have a three gallon pot and I can do 2 plastic grocery bags stuffed as full as I can get them in the pot, with about a gallon or 1 1/2 gallons of water.

I use chicken base instead of bought chicken stock and it works great.
Add 5-6 strips of thick cut bacon
3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
bring to boil and add collards (I remove the thicker stems)
cook until the collards are tender.

I have a side burner on my grill and I do this outside. Helps to keep the smell out of the house.
If you live where I do, you have to pressure can at 11.5 psi. Check with your local USDA to determine what is the proper pressure to can at in your location (elevation makes a difference). I can at 12 psi as that is the closest available pressure I can achieve with my canner. Too hot won't hurt it. Too cool will be unsafe.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
Get a dehydrator (or use your oven). Dehydrated tomatoes take up less space than canned or frozen (and are great tomato chips instead of other snack foods).

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #23
Master Chef
I remembered today that my MIL would use extra tomatoes for what she called Spanish Sauce. Peel and chop tomatoes. Small chop an onion, saute. If you like, you can also saute green pepper and/or mushroom too. I usually did just onion and mushrooms. Bell peppers always talk back. When the onions, etc, are softened, add the chopped tomatoes along with some tabasco sauce. When it's all simmered, toss in halved stuffed green olives. We would make this every time this year just to put some on scrambled eggs. Goes good on chicken. Might be nice on top of baked fish. Would probably work as a simmer sauce for round steak. All I know is I haven't made it for a while.

... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote

tomato, tomatoes