Turnips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The big yellow turnips that we always mashed are often called rutabagas in other parts of the country or swedes in other parts of the world.

We never mashed the white turnips. Are ya'll referring to the same thing, or did you mash white turnips?

I mash them all. :angel:

The big yellow turnips that we always mashed are often called rutabagas in other parts of the country or swedes in other parts of the world.

We never mashed the white turnips. Are ya'll referring to the same thing, or did you mash white turnips?

I don't think I have ever had the small white and purple turnips. We always had the large yellow turnips that you now find coated in wax.

I don't think I have ever had the small white and purple turnips. We always had the large yellow turnips that you now find coated in wax.
The rutabaga, swede (from Swedish turnip), or yellow turnip is a root vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the turnip. It is not the same species as a turnip. I call the small purple and white ones summer turnips.

Etymology:

1799, from Swedish dialectal (West Götland) rotabagge, from rot "root" (see root (n.)) + bagge "bag" (see bag (n.)). Slang meaning "dollar" is from 1940s.

Back
Top Bottom